The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

It felt like a depression when Green was the coach. He came off as arrogant, and annoyed by media's questions. He didn't seem to really have a plan, except to exhaust/embarrass players in his bag skate. 

These days, there is so much positivity and confidence with the team and a belief in what they can accomplish this year. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Sounds like Garland and Kuzmenko will play on left side? Which side does Mikheyev play

Mostly left I believe, but he can play right wing as well.

I wonder if they plan to use Pearson-Horvat- Mikheyev together to make a shutdown line that can grind it out and also score in hard matchups.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just did quick calculations of play game experience on this club...despite Arizona being an absolute tire fire of a team OEL sits fourth on the team in playoff game experience. Only Tanner Pearson (51), Tyler Myers (49), and Luke Schenn (39) have more post season games than him, which he sits at (26). 

This team needs to get some more playoff experience.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Petey-Podkolzin 

I think that is what our top 6 will look like.

From there our bottom six has some ? around where Pearson and Hoglander will play. Hoglander plays the right side. I don't think Pearson has before. 

I'd like to see:

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Hoglander gives us a scoring 3rd line although I'm worried about the defensive zone with this line.

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua - gives us grit and sandpaper

Problem with this is we aren't sitting Pearson at 3 million. I actually really like Tanner but I think Hoglander is going to be a really good player. Although if he has to go down to the AHL for a bit so be it, but we don't really have anyone good for him to play with.

We will most likely see:

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Pearson (idk if he can play right side)

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua

50 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Petey-Podkolzin 

I think that is what our top 6 will look like.

From there our bottom six has some ? around where Pearson and Hoglander will play. Hoglander plays the right side. I don't think Pearson has before. 

I'd like to see:

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Hoglander gives us a scoring 3rd line although I'm worried about the defensive zone with this line.

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua - gives us grit and sandpaper

Problem with this is we aren't sitting Pearson at 3 million. I actually really like Tanner but I think Hoglander is going to be a really good player. Although if he has to go down to the AHL for a bit so be it, but we don't really have anyone good for him to play with.

We will most likely see:

Kuzmenko-Horvat-Pearson (idk if he can play right side)

Dickinson-Lazar-Joshua

I think:

Garland-Miller-Podkolzin (Miller and Podz have a definite bond and chemistry)

Kuzmenko-Petey-Boeser (Kuz is a setup guy.  Petey and Boeser can both score goals)

Pearson-Bo-Mikheyev (shut down line with offensive ability)

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Sorry I have to say something. 

TG lost the room because his system sucked and was amateur at best. 

I can't believe you would say they play the same system. He played a system fit for grinders and ppl void of speed and talent. 

The Canucks mainly had 1 fore checker while deployed under TG. They played a much laid back game. They retreated and gave up the blue line wayyy too easily. 

When BB came, he upped the forecheck pressure and stepped up at the blue line. 

On transition, TGs system was so predictable. The defence rings it around to Brock at the hash marks who is standing stationary while the centre button hooks and goes up the middle. Brock's only option is then to pass to this centre or an ill advised low percentage pass to the streaking RW Cross ice. Brock is stationary so he wouldnt be able to skate it out. Defence then clogs up our blue line and takes away Horvats lane. Howany times have we then seen the forward at the hash marks just bang it off the boards and out and give up puck possession... 

Total bush league amateur.... 

As for the pk, I remember a passive box under Green where we collapsed and did not pressure the puck. Instead we stayed in our box and gave the PP unit all sorts of time and they would make us pay not only with shots from the point but by completing cross seam passes through our passive box. 

BB said something interesting regarding the PK. He said in this league, if you give skilled guys on the PP time, they will make the plays and score so we need to increase the pressure and take away time and space. I mean a passive box should at least prevent seam passes but it didn't under Green because PP had way too much time. No adjustments were made and he kept doing the same thing over and over. Pretty sure the defence enjoys not being a human shield in front of the net anymore... 

LOL same system... Not even close 

Green didn't play a box, at all.  He employed a diamond pk, with a fwd at the top, two players on the side and a dman in front.  BB plays pretty much the same system, but was more flexible with who he used on the PK and got solid results.  

For whatever reason, the players simply didnt execute Greens systems as they were designed.......but his systems are very commonly used and used by BB himself.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

I literally just told you.  BB's system is much more aggressive in the neutral zone.  TG is a collapse into the defensive zone.  You lost count how many times the Canucks easily gave up that blueline.

BB plays a collapse system in the dzone as well, they just do a better job of executing under BB than they did under TG.  

Giving up the blue line is indictive of poor execution, rather than a systemic issue.  Under TG players simply stopped backchecking, which means the dmen absolutely cannot be aggressive at the blueline.   Under BB, they were back to consistent back check, which frees the dmen up to be be aggressive at the bline.

Again, execution, not systems 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

again, that's execution, not systemic.  TG lost the room, no one is arguing that

So I think you're arguing Bruce plays the same systems, but expects his guys to be more aggressive?  I'm thinking in particular about the change in HDCF getting better under Bruce. 

Edited by JM_

6 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So I think you're arguing Bruce plays the same systems, but expects his guys to be more aggressive?  I'm thinking in particular about the change in HDCF getting better under Bruce. 

the same basic systems, for sure.  Green wanted his players to be aggressive, and we certainly saw that in the bubble playoffs, but the players tuned him out and stopped playing hard for him.

I know we don’t want D men all playing their off sides but can Myers play left side?

Has he been paired with Schenn at all? That might be a pair that works. Schenn plays a simple game that might complement Myers when he tries to channel his inner Bobby Orr.

OEL Hughes

Myers Schenn

Rathbone Dermott/Poolman

For some reason I feel better with that top 4 even with guys being on their off sides.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1