The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] PK Subban announces retirement

Rate this topic

timberz21

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Good. I don't like players who are real good right up till they sign some big deal and their play just falls off a cliff. Greasy 

I'd argue he played the best hockey of his career in Nashville after signing that massive contract. NJ did a trick on him and he was asked to play a different role. 

1 hour ago, timberz21 said:

I'm assuming that part of his decision to retire at only 33, maybe he has something lined up already.

While in Montreal this summer I heard a sportstalk radio interview with him. 

He never nailed it down - always side-stepping the questions of what he would do if he didn't get signed this fall.

Essentially what it seemed like is that he thinks he's going to be a 'philanthropist' of some sort or a patron of charities.

He made almost $80million dollars in his career, and if he was smart about his assets he could likely easily build that up to much more - you can do a lot of philanthropic stuff with that type of bankroll. 

Edited by Fanuck

Didn't see it coming TBH, I thought he had another kick at the can. While he was a bit of a rat on the ice, I always liked the guy, and his philanthropic largesse is just a testament, as to who the real PK is.

I agree with others also, he'd be a great addition to the broadcasting fraternity. We need more outspoken, knowledgeable hockey personalities. I wish him well.

Kind of a crazy early career retirement for a player who was so good a few years ago.

I have to imagine he's received some good offers to be in the broadcasting space, so he probably already has some great options.

• Upvote 1

I thought he'd catch on somewhere, wild. But good for him. Hope to see him in hockey broadcasting at something, he's got the personality for it. 

Wish there were more players like him in that sense, most hockey players have pretty subdued public personas.