The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks to be back on Rogers Sportsnet 650

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Glad they did not try to produce & brioadcast their own show on podcast or other media because the day that they take the broadcast out of independant hands is the day they lose all accountability and fair analysis of the team.   That is something you'd expect in Russia or North Korea!

Don't some of the US teams already broadcast in house? I know SJ has their "Sharks Audio Network". Too lazy to look anything else up right now, I'm falling asleep at work lol. 

In all honesty, I am shocked high profile sports isn't broadcast on FM, where the quality is far superior. This was brought up many years ago now.

Possibly, the ads are an issue but it's hard to believe they would be after like 30 years. For crying out loud; The days of playing rock & roll on the AM dial

is far past. Not that I'm so old I remember that much.:rolleyes:. It is very important to get the best sound possible for the best sport in the world.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Muttley said:

In all honesty, I am shocked high profile sports isn't broadcast on FM, where the quality is far superior. This was brought up many years ago now.

Possibly, the ads are an issue but it's hard to believe they would be after like 30 years. For crying out loud; The days of playing rock & roll on the AM dial

is far past. Not that I'm so old I remember that much.:rolleyes:. It is very important to get the best sound possible for the best sport in the world.

No kidding. In port alberni we can technically get 650 but its mostly garbled and you would miss 40% of whats happening. Yet any vancouver fm station comes through perfectly 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Don't some of the US teams already broadcast in house? I know SJ has their "Sharks Audio Network". Too lazy to look anything else up right now, I'm falling asleep at work lol. 

Kroenke Sports & Entertainment owns Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Arsenal FC, LA Rams, and a bunch of other teams and they do a lot of their own broadcasting. 

" In 2004, Kroenke launched his own competitor to FSN Rocky Mountain (now known as AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain), Altitude, a new regional sports network which became the official broadcaster for both of Kroenke's teams on launch. Kroenke also established TicketHorse, a ticket company that provides in-house sales for all of his teams."  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroenke_Sports_%26_Entertainment 

They own tons of stuff. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

No kidding. In port alberni we can technically get 650 but its mostly garbled and you would miss 40% of whats happening. Yet any vancouver fm station comes through perfectly 

1040 had decent reception, not to mention I preferred the personalities from that station anyways.  650 reception is horrible and only works well enough in about 40% of my surrounding area (also on the island) 

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I always stream the feed on a cellphone or computer, even when I'm in lower mainland.  AM is archaic, and it's not compatible with EVs anyway. 

1040/1130/730, etc all work just fine in my EV.  650 just had such garbage reception out in the fraser valley.  Never had an issue in either my Ioniq EV or Jetta or even my excavators with other stations, for whatever reason 650 was just hot trash from day 1

• Cheers 1

This raises a bigger long term question. Does TSN go guns blazing to try and get the NHL rights this time? Having them suddenly pull the plug on various sports channels on radio does that hurt thier chances? Will Bell finally open the purse strings and take the rights from Rogers. I wonder how long the contract will be this time? I'm thinking 7-8 year deal to match up with ESPN.

On 9/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

The Kings do as well. The Ducks just started their own streaming today. https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/ducks-set-to-launch-audio-streaming-network-today-ducks-stream/c-335691750

On 9/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, Russ said:

1040/1130/730, etc all work just fine in my EV.  650 just had such garbage reception out in the fraser valley.  Never had an issue in either my Ioniq EV or Jetta or even my excavators with other stations, for whatever reason 650 was just hot trash from day 1

My old car radio doesn't even go that far down on the AM band.   Barry Avrich Radio GIF by TIFF 

and I even installed a couple of extra antenna's on my car Mobile Phase Array :) | Ham radio, Ham radio antenna, Radio Go Figure !

In any case, isn't 650 in the shortwave frequency range anyways and requires "Special" Radio Equipment and a Satellite dish to receive it? 

Old ham radio station – Santa Barbara Amateur Radio ClubNASA reveals huge satellite dish that will 'communicate' with deep space

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

It’s common in the UK and Spain ( not sure  about France and germany or Italy) for premier league teams to run their own tv and media productions.

They also have fan segments and produced content as well (AFTV for arsenal is a good example) 

so I’m fine with having it done in house. However I guess the difference is we have local public news radio which also covers the team (bbc local)