The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coach BB: Not making playoffs would be ‘a disaster’ for Canucks

Rate this topic

Sophomore Jinx

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, people were fussing about Bo being captain even when he was signed. I imagine many of those same folks will continue to fuss about it once he's re-signed.

For some folks the only resolution is Bo not being captain or Bo being traded. 

But yes, there's a good chance Bo comes in a a bit more than Boeser. Center's are more valuable.

If he comes in at any more than BB6 dollars, it'll be a fail, centre or not. One of JTM or BB6 needed to be traded to shore up some deficiencies; Garland, Pearson et al won't cut it...and with JT obviously not being an option now, that leaves BH as the blue chip to play their hand with....or, we continue with the unknowns, and fingers crossed, hopeful approach moving forward with this group, and its glaring holes.

• Haha 1

He's correct, by the way.

Forget about next year or in two years.  We went all-in the minute Miller put pen to paper on a new deal.  This is now a team that must be judged on their ability to compete for a Stanley Cup, not make the playoffs.

Unless a major injury happens to a star player (God Forbid!), I fully expect them to make the playoffs. If not for the replacement of a couple of our almost pointless 3rd/4th line players from last year with better players - that should be able to produce a bit better, then simply because we now have a normal B/U goalie replacing that absolutely washed out Ha-Lack (only 4 wins in 17 GP)  and who should be able to at least play to .400 - .500 hockey - which should get us over the hump and into the playoffs. 

Getting in the playoffs would be a nice first step on the road to recovery but we still have 2-3 years of rebuilding to go - mainly on our back end. Until those D contracts expire or players traded  and the defence corrected, I certainly don't expect any major movement forward as that is our achiles heel!

1 hour ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

If he comes in at any more than BB6 dollars, it'll be a fail, centre or not. One of JTM or BB6 needed to be traded to shore up some deficiencies; Garland, Pearson et al won't cut it...and with JT obviously not being an option now, that leaves BH as the blue chip to play their hand with....or, we continue with the unknowns, and fingers crossed, hopeful approach moving forward with this group, and its glaring holes.

I don't think it'll be a fail, there are comparables that'd have him higher than Brock. Hayes in Philly for example, he's making 7.1M and has never put up Horvat numbers. Landeskog is making 7M but he's also playing in a more tax friendly environment from what I understand. He can also point to Kadri getting 7M at almost 32 years old and argue he's got more upside, outside Kadri's career season they ain't all that far off and Horvat's younger. If Bo comes in at less than Boeser it's because he takes a pay cut, if he comes in at slightly more than Boeser it could still be argued he took a pay cut. Even 7M would probably be fair for both sides. 

Boeser also had the benefit of his qualifying offer to bump up his pay, it was either pay him something that worked for both signs or sign him to the offer. If not for the deal signed by Benning there's a chance Boeser would have gotten less if he QO weren't so high. 

I'd have traded Miller, that's well established. Was open to trading Boeser too, didn't happen. But Horvat isn't the luxury folks seem to think he is because simply put, we don't have another center in the system who can do what he does for this team. He makes life easier for every other center on the roster: he takes the lions share of the faceoffs, despite being miscast as a defensive center he's takes on more of those minutes because we simply don't have anyone who can take them away from him right now, and he produces top 6 offense despite that usage. We saw it down the stretch where the team stumbled once he got hurt, having Bo in the lineup makes Miller's life easier. Now, we seem to have several fans who fall all over Miller but bottom line is he likely wouldn't have had the season he had last season without Bo doing his thing, he'd have been forced to have played a larger two-way role than he did. 

I've been arguing we need to be trying to revamp our D and find a legitimate 3C all year but bottom line is we either haven't been willing to make the moves or options haven't been available. Turning this roster over was never going to be a single offseason job. Hell, Lundqvist just got a 1st as a high end RD prospect, if that doesn't tell you that beefing up our right side won't be easy or cheap I don't know what will. 

If we move forwards out going forward, and I think we'll need to in order to reallocate cap space to our defense, it'll probably be one or more of Boeser, Garland, and Mikheyev. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yup. Until there is a resolution, with either one of BH signed, (to no more than BB6 dollars), or ideally and better yet, him bringing in some assets (RHD, pics) via trade, this ongoing BH saga will continue to be contentious with me.

Oh c'mon. You act like CDC is going to start a 2000 page thread about it or something. Chill. ;)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I mean.  A disaster?  Maybe not

A shot at Bedard wouldn't be awful.

A real disaster though would be like the plane going down on the way to the Mullet Dome.  Or the entire team getting food poisoning and sharting on the ice at puck drop.  Oh or signing Nurse to a $9+ million contract

Nope, 

I want to have the draft be an after thought this year, like oh yeah, the draft is on, I almost forgot. 

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

This, I see it here more than anywhere the obsession with a ceremonial letter here is beyond bizarre. As well as the constant tearing down of players to prop up someone's guy too. 

I know this is a crazy take here but BOTH Bo and JT are great leaders and players and we're better with both players period. Sandbagging one in favour of the other is pointless, unnecessary and flat out stupid to be completely honest. 

maybe we should start a new thread for OEL to be the new captain? lets make it really spicy. 

• Haha 2

Big words but he's right - if they miss the playoffs I think you sell big time and bomb hard.

That being said, I think these Canucks have a huge chip on their shoulder and will start the season hard and strong - I honestly think we'll go on a nuts run to start the year, lead the division for a while and may be one of the best teams in the league out of the gate before we eventually hit a speed bump and slow down. Hope to end 3rd in the division but these guys look pumped and motivated in ways we haven't seen before to start a season.

I haven’t read through the thread yet but I’m just going to say, the responding to this quote from Boudreau with something along the lines of “to just make the playoffs is a loser goal” is a total non sequitur.  

It does not exclude the ultimate goal of winning a Stanley cup.  

Rather, it’s a logical goal on the way to that ultimate end. 

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.