The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | September/October (24-01) 2022 (Preseason)

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, LionofJudah said:

I first seen this a week ago on Instagram and thought it was a meme.

Not sure what they are smoking in Toronto but I think they should share with the rest of us.

Keefe meant as an option when they are trailing and need to make a push, or late in games looking for the tying goal where rather than pull the goalie and risk the empty net, they would run with 4Fs and 1D.  It's probably not Marner at D when the score is even or they are in the lead.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Keefe meant as an option when they are trailing and need to make a push, or late in games looking for the tying goal where rather than pull the goalie and risk the empty net, they would run with 4Fs and 1D.  It's probably not Marner at D when the score is even or they are in the lead.

Well that makes much more sense than what I was reading. 

CBJ has a pretty good behind the scenes series "Behind the battle".  Here's episode 1 of the new season which covers their off-season - scouting meetings, the draft in Montreal and obviously the Gaudreau signing.  

• Cheers 1

On 9/30/2022 at 10:04 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Yes, put the kid who shys away from contact and plays small at defense. 

If i'm the opposing team's coach, my game plan is to dump it in his corner and pressure him all day. Kid will crumble.

Saying Marner shy away from hits is like saying Hughes shy away from hits. 

They don’t “shy” away from hits. They use their skating to evade from being hit. Big difference.

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Saying Marner shy away from hits is like saying Hughes shy away from hits. 

They don’t “shy” away from hits. They use their skating to evade from being hit. Big difference.

Watch Marner forecheck in this league. Watch how he struggles in the playoffs, especially without the puck. He is shy around contact. 

Hughes not at all

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Watch Marner forecheck in this league. Watch how he struggles in the playoffs, especially without the puck. He is shy around contact. 

Hughes not at all

Social media brainwashing absent minded fans who doesn’t watch other games around the league.

Amongst forwards Marner is in the top 4 in the entire league, in takeaways since entering the league.

In preparation for the playoffs, the Leafs are looking to increase their physicality and a surprising player has stepped up to lead the way. Over the last nine games, since March 26, Mitch Marner leads the team in hits. 

"In the last couple of games, in particular, someone like Mitch has really taken the lead in that for us, shown the way, and set the standard," said coach Sheldon Keefe. "If a guy like him who is playing as much as he is and does so much for our team can commit like that, every single one of our guys can follow suit."

During his first five National Hockey League seasons, Marner recorded 1.31 hits per 60 minutes. Last season, he was at 1.11. This season, he's up to 3.05. 

"I'm trying to be more competitive on pucks," Marner said. "That's something our line's done good is just forechecking and being physical on the puck. We're using our body a little more in trying to get in there and get the puck out of sticky situations and into our hands and into the middle and working from there."

Edited by shiznak

4 hours ago, shiznak said:

Social media brainwashing absent minded fans who doesn’t watch other games around the league.

Amongst forwards Marner is in the top 4 in the entire league, in takeaways since entering the league.

Unfortunately I live in Ontario and have watched him a fair share since his days with the Knights. The article means nothing, 46 hits in 39 career playoff games, playing 21+ minutes a night, in all situations. Much ado about nothing. But since I don't share your views you can call me absent minded all you want, the kid is useless in the playoffs and always has been. Once the whistles get put away, and the physicality ramps up, he's invisible. There's a reason Toronto can't get past the hump, and as much as it doesn't all fall on his shoulders, he's a big 11 million dollar reason why they can't get to the 2nd round. 

PS, wouldn't the brainwashed absent minded fan be the one that reads a single article saying how Marner is gonna play physical in the playoffs, and then fail to see that he didn't do anything in particular to actually prove that article right? 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi