The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pre-Season [GDT/PGT] Canucks vs/@ Flames (Split Squad) / Sunday, Sept. 25/22 / 4:00 & 5:00 pm

Rate this topic

-DLC-

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Take aways from the game in Vancouver tonight:  Pods is right on his game and looks ready to roll and was the undoubtedly the star tonight. Certainly a bright star on the horizon.  EP40 and Kuz looked good too. Myers and Schenn were steady as usual.  Dekeyser was OK too.  Bo was a bit flat tonight.

As for goaltending; I still think Silvos is a shaky goalie and nowhere near ready for NHL play.  He plays out of position often and is small and got very lucky on a couple of those scrambly plays in front of him.   Martin looks much steadier and in control - despite his outcome tonight - and as long as he plays .400 to .500 hockey this year that should be enough to squeek us in the playoff picture if our team plays as they did in the later part of last year.

Concerns: All of our rookies look average at best and can't seem to stir-up much offensively and looked small vs. Calgary's bigger rookie players - who played with more grit.  I saw a lot of dump & chase and missed plays by our young guys but realistically, I wasn't expecting much from any of them as we all know that we have very limited talent down on the farm after Jim Benning sold out our future and left the cupboards bare down there in his last gasp effort to save his job. I expect 5 or 6 of the rookies we saw tonight to get sent down by mid week as there were several players out there that were definately way "Out of their league" literally!

Silvos is small?  If you consider 6'4 small I guess.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So many people have no clue how the pre-season works and are all worried about the first game. It's hilarious, a bit sad, and a little adorable all at the same time.

I don't understand this approach, are people supposed to say it was a good game when it wasn't?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

So many people have no clue how the pre-season works and are all worried about the first game. It's hilarious, a bit sad, and a little adorable all at the same time.

Every damn year brother, every damn year.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Sikhguy23 said:

No, but they aren't supposed to overreact after 1 pre-season game either. 

Y. Especially when it's filled with over 50% non nhl roster. It's depth assessment, warm up and line combo for some nhl guys. Expect cuts today or tomorrow. 

Didn't get to watch much of the game so maybe somebody can help me out with this; and I know it's preseason so the results don't matter.

However, in the 30 minutes I got to watch of the game, Burroughs and Dermott both couldn't handle the puck whatsoever. They would either bobble the puck off a simple pass, skate a little bit and lose the puck, or whiff their passes. It was scary at what point it was pathetic.

My question is, is this something we should be worried about or not? On one hand, its the preseason, on the other, they've played hockey their entire lives and have been skating for weeks recently and still can't take a pass? Seems very bush league from them.

Did anyone else notice this? 

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol, I’ve been around this forum for years and knew EXACTLY what the tenor of the posts would be after a double split-squad loss on opening night of the preseason. The last 3 pre-season games with the final team iced is when one can start to really make any sort of legit evaluations of this team. 

Gotta focus on individual evaluations (didn’t watch the game in Calgary). Like what I saw from Silovs…long and athletic. Rathbone playing 25 minutes and QB’ing an NHL powerplay is a great stepping stone for his continued development. And don’t even get me started on Podzillla. Beast. Kuzmenko didn’t really flash much, but the main thing is just getting that first NHL game under his belt. 

Looking forward to the next one.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

A good pre-season game( particularly the first one) is not about entertainment or victories. No points are awarded , no standings are established. 
A good pre-season game enables the players to improve conditioning, timing and cohesion. A good pre-season game gives the coaches, management and fans opportunity to see how PTO’s, drafts, veterans and rookies perform individually and together for the first time in a game situation. 
The game served its purpose and I got my moneys worth. 

• Cheers 1

I get that some vets don't give it their all during preseason and its really the prospects that do in order to make the team. 

Unfortunately, our prospect talent looks to be worse than Cgy and we took an L tonight. 

The problem I have is that good teams and good players practice and play hard whenever the step on the ice. They are always prepared to play and they never take losing as ok. 

We battled consistency issues for how long now? When reg season starts, we are a team that really can't afford any nights off. I don't know if players can just flip the switch when reg season starts. 

Last year we saw what a bad start could do to playoff chances. Bruce had the team playing like a top 10 team in the league and we still missed the playoffs. 

2 years ago, when we missed the playoffs, I thought ok, guys learned their lesson. We had a great playoffs in the bubble and guys weren't prepared this year. They'll train hard and turn heads next year. Then last year happened and terrible start under TG pretty much sunk our playoff chances in nov. 

Fast forward to this year under BB. We hear great things out of camp. Guys came in in great shape and team looks to be buzzing. 

We then lay a stinker last night. 

Man, I just want them to make the cuts asap and get the core group to start ramping it up so that we are flying on game 1.

The thing I hate the most about pre season is the knee jerk reactions.

It's literally a practice scrimmage.

I like pre season cause I want to see chemistry building and I hope to see a young player or 2 show promise. I don't care at all about the results until they matter.

I wouldn't be surprised if they literally try to take penalties so they can practice the pk lol.

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Every damn year brother, every damn year.

I don't think anyone thinks it matters, but the team(s) didn't look good or prepared to play.........I don't get why it's bad to talk about that.

There were some good things, for sure, but an overall poor start.  I am a little baffled about the guy ragging on silovs, who was outstanding.

• Cheers 3

52 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Didn't get to watch much of the game so maybe somebody can help me out with this; and I know it's preseason so the results don't matter.

However, in the 30 minutes I got to watch of the game, Burroughs and Dermott both couldn't handle the puck whatsoever. They would either bobble the puck off a simple pass, skate a little bit and lose the puck, or whiff their passes. It was scary at what point it was pathetic.

My question is, is this something we should be worried about or not? On one hand, its the preseason, on the other, they've played hockey their entire lives and have been skating for weeks recently and still can't take a pass? Seems very bush league from them.

Did anyone else notice this? 

I lost track of how many times rathbone lost the puck, and was caught out of position.  Looks like another chatfield 

• Haha 1