The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Record Smashed- Marathon

Gurn

4 hours ago, babych said:

That's incredible. I can't fathom being able to run at that pace for that amount of time. I did two halfs this year and both were around 1:53.... 

Good on them!

Good on you for your half marathons.

I can't fathom being able to run at that pace for 400 metres.  That may be too much for me.  I could probably do it for 200 metres.  Then pass out.

1 hour ago, CanuckinEdm said:

40 isn't that old but in the eyes of competitive sports its really old.

I was a late entry to marathon running. I started training around the age of 35, and ran my first at 37. I ran 6 in about 4 years, the slowest in 3:15, and my pb was .01 below 3:03. My quickest half was 1:17. In distance running 30 to 40 year olds are in their prime at the elite level.

I trained in my mid 50’s for the Chicago Marathon and was 57 when I entered it, but my time was an hour slower.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanuckinEdm said:

40 isn't that old but in the eyes of competitive sports its really old.

Eliod Kipchoge just smashed the marathon record again at 37. I think we're at the point where the physical peak may be 25, but:
i) the decrease in potential fitness is actually a fairly slow process, especially when the sport doesn't have competitors impacting each other. Most "old" athletes probably retire more because of injuries rather than the loss of fitness and mental game
ii) figuring things out like training, recovery, tactics/game sense usually takes a bit longer, so you can remain competitive at the top level until 35-40ish
So you'll get a bunch of older athletes who are slightly worse physical, but better mentally thus remaining competitive.

Of course, once the young ones start figuring everything out early enough and instead of simply racing and playing, we could see early-mid 20 year olds dominating everything (see cycling's Pogacar, Vingegaard, and Evenepoel)

Edited by Forsy