The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

'Serious' allegations of child abuse levelled against Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, King Heffy said:

Some things are simply more important than sports.  Where's the line for you?  Would you cheer for a team that hired Graham James as a coach?

I would be upset with the owner for not firing the gm who hired Graeme James, and hopefully he would clean house at that point.

But none of those personnel have anything to do with the crest on the jersey.

If these allegations are true, they do not symbolize the Canucks and their fans or the guys on the ice.

Francesco Aquilini is not a Vancouver Canuck

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Nothing has been proven in court.

This screams lies lies lies.

This will end up just like the JV case, money makes people do crazy things.

I have $130,000 worth of reasons supporting this, I've been to family court. People lie, women lie.

Why was none of this mentioned in 2013?

The court of Public opinion has already smashed the gavel though.

This better not be a distraction to the team. 

I'm not coming back to this thread lol.

Yea I had a cousin get divorced, sweetest nicest guy you could ever meet, never heard him swear or raise his voice, definitely never physical with his family (didn’t believe in spanking at all) he was divorcing his wife because of her cheating on him and during the proceedings you would have sworn he was hitler the way they made him out to be, it wasn’t until the mom was charged with child abuse a few years later (for beating the kids daily, she took it out on the boys because they must’ve reminded her of him) that they admitted to lying in the court because the mom, her lawyers and a therapist told them to, even then it took 2 years for him to get full custody. Family court is so anti men it’s sickening, and bad for the kids 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I agree with this take, but your other take on child discipline is the dumbest thing I’ve seen this week.

I was being sarcastic. My grandpa was an awesome grandpa but it doesn't sound like he treated his sons very well lol.

It was a Diff time then, but innocent until proven guilty, and the boys don't need another distraction...

Freaking canuck luck 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AV. said:

What's unreasonable about wanting to cut money and time from the team?  Seems like a pretty reasonable and effective manner to send a message that such alleged behaviour isn't condoned and doesn't represent the fanbase.

Hope that helps.

The fact that you and I seem to be in actual agreement for once is concerning for me.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

But why shut down? You said this about the Mitchell thread too. I don’t understand. Do you think anyone who comments or CDC bears legal liability for any discussion of this?

It’s a topic that should be open for commentary. 

The Virtanen thread was shut down, the Mitchell thread was shut down and this one will be as well.  No it shouldn't be open to commentary from fans who already have declared him guilty, want him to sell the team and rot in prison for life.  This isn't even a criminal case, it's a case about child support payments for 3 adult children...

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Pears said:

Who cares how the team is doing? If these allegations are true, there should be empty seats and any remaining fans should be calling for him to be selling the team to anyone who’s at least a half decent human being. 

Absolutely, but this thread has shown that a lot of people care about their 3 hours of entertainment more than a lot of other things. Once that goes sideways there’s no hiding space 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The Virtanen thread was shut down, the Mitchell thread was shut down and this one will be as well.  No it shouldn't be open to commentary from fans who already have declared him guilty, want him to sell the team and rot in prison for life.  This isn't even a criminal case, it's a case about child support payments for 3 adult children...

Can't shut it down in 'Da Club'. B) Or can they? :(

Just now, AV. said:

What's unreasonable about wanting to cut money and time from the team?  Seems like a pretty reasonable and effective manner to send a message that such alleged behaviour isn't condoned and doesn't represent the fanbase.

Hope that helps.

Try being able to separate things in life. FA has nothing to do with supporting the team. He isn't even the Owner. I am supporting the team for the players and arena staff. No doubt FA should probably remove himself until this plays out. Anyone of the right mind knows this alleged behaviour is wrong but should go through the legal process to determine the facts. Why should everyone else suffer (players, arena staff and fans ) because of one bad apple who might not even be bad? Just because 99% of us on here will continue to support the team for the players and arena staff, doesn't mean we support FA amid these allegations.

Give your head a shake. You're exactly what's wrong with society. 

Hope that helps

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Yea I had a cousin get divorced, sweetest nicest guy you could ever meet, never heard him swear or raise his voice, definitely never physical with his family (didn’t believe in spanking at all) he was divorcing his wife because of her cheating on him and during the proceedings you would have sworn he was hitler the way they made him out to be, it wasn’t until the mom was charged with child abuse a few years later (for beating the kids daily, she took it out on the boys because they must’ve reminded her of him) that they admitted to lying in the court because the mom, her lawyers and a therapist told them to, even then it took 2 years for him to get full custody. Family court is so anti men it’s sickening, and bad for the kids 

How old were the kids when they admitted to lying? In this case, the kids are already adults and are doing well mentally and have promising futures. In fact, it sounds like the eldest actually is no longer able to get support money so money is no longer a factor. So the coercion excuse doesn't seem like it holds much water here, no?

Edited by Vinny in Vancouver
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

How about fans who want to just sweep this under the rug?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

It is a bit surprising.

IIrc the former Mrs. Aqua received a divorce  settlement of some value, assuredly more than enough to put 3 kids through university.

So I'd say to her, and the kids, this is not about the money.

Yeah, I don't think so. It is almost always about the money.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

Gonna be something when the  "we aren't supporting the team anymore" "don't go to games" "don't buy merchandise"  members are still here posting in the PGT commenting on the game they just watched.

Better believe I'm writing down account names for when I see you post. 

Talk the talk, walk the walk. Actually do what you say. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

How old were the kids when they admitted to lying? In this case, the kids are already adults and are doing well. In fact, it sounds like the eldest actually is no longer able to get support money so money is no longer a factor. So the coercion excuse doesn't seem like it holds much water here, no?

Fair point, however IF it is as bad as stated why weren’t the cops called? If they were where’s the file number to back up their statements. It’s really fishy that this is coming up so many years after the divorce, during which allegations like this are so valuable to her and her lawyer (monetarily) her lawyers definitely would have asked during their meetings prior to taking that case if there was physical abuse.

like I said in my other comment IF these allegations are true and have been fully vetted then the whole family is poison and needs to sell the team, there needs to be a thorough investigation done, I’m sure the nhl is calling investigators tonight, to make sure that these allegations are proven or disproven. 

I have to admit that it’s one has me confused. The case before the courts is that Francesco has stopped paying child support since the former Mrs A and children have refused to provide proof that the children are attending university, as would be his right if they are not enrolled. Sounds like he has advised that he doesn’t need to know the information and that it need only be provided to his lawyers so that they can check. If they are attending he claims he will continue to pay. That much seems reasonable. Easy peasy.

The mom and children say they won’t provide it as they don’t want contact with Francesco. No info to suggest he has contacted them in the past so is this a legitimate concern? Why have these affidavits have been introduced when they are irrelevant to the outcome? This court is not going to make any ruling on their veracity. Different matter if the kids decide to sue and make it a civil matter.

I have no opinion on the accusations themselves.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1