The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Forecast of Cap Increase through 25/26 season

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Posting this in Canucks chat as it's relevant to a lot of our recent discussions about contracts for specific players and what we can afford.

Sportsnet published a forecast that from what I've heard, is in line with what the NHL feels will occur.

Increases after the 23/24 season become much more extravagant and generous.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-preparing-teams-for-sharp-salary-cap-increase-over-next-three-seasons/

Basically, we could see a 92 million cap by 25/26 season which will make that Miller signing and the Hughes signings look like bargains.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Yes, I already mentioned this in the Miller thread.  The cap will easily be $92 million in 3 years and more in future years.  Guys like Matthews and McDavid will be signing UFA deals in the $15 million range and up.  So $8 million for Miller will look like a bargain in 3-4 years.  There will be 3rd liners making over $6 million in 4 years...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

...until the league says, "PSYCHE!!" - and holds the cap at this year's level claiming "unexpected decrease in revenues" (due to the Coyotes and their joke of a rink).  :rolleyes:

a decrease from nothing is still nothing, no worries here

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, I already mentioned this in the Miller thread.  The cap will easily be $92 million in 3 years and more in future years.  Guys like Matthews and McDavid will be signing UFA deals in the $15 million range and up.  So $8 million for Miller will look like a bargain in 3-4 years.  There will be 3rd liners making over $6 million in 4 years...

So the big question for us is, does Petey... er you... price himself out of our market next offseason when he can sign a new deal? does his agent advise him to hold out and wait until he's an RFA? 

So much yap about Miller and Bo this last year, but maybe its Petey we need to be focusing on. 

50 minutes ago, JM_ said:

So the big question for us is, does Petey... er you... price himself out of our market next offseason when he can sign a new deal? does his agent advise him to hold out and wait until he's an RFA? 

So much yap about Miller and Bo this last year, but maybe its Petey we need to be focusing on. 

This is an interesting year for Petey. Will he continue to amaze and improve or will he hit a flat spot or even fall back production wise. Those were awesome summer

pictures of him with the weights, seemingly all muscled up. Looks back to normal in camp though. I don't know; I think I remember him saying once, "I want to be paid".

Huge year for him, and the team for that matter.

8 minutes ago, Muttley said:

This is an interesting year for Petey. Will he continue to amaze and improve or will he hit a flat spot or even fall back production wise. Those were awesome summer

pictures of him with the weights, seemingly all muscled up. Looks back to normal in camp though. I don't know; I think I remember him saying once, "I want to be paid".

Huge year for him, and the team for that matter.

not sure we can read too much into camp yet. Last game or two maybe.

imo its going to be a very hard negotiation, and how long JR/PA wait it out will be interesting. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, BlastPast said:

I said this ages ago. 83.5*1.05^2 = ~92. A couple of years after that it could pass 100 million.

Yeah, I forecast $108M+ by 2030-31 and was called a yahoo and that the inflationary environment was gonna cause a flat line on the cap for years1!1!!!1!  ZOMG...!

Businesses find a way to get back on track, especially multi-billion dollar organizations lead by billionaires.

I said it then, and I'll say it again now.  Going to hockey games are a luxury item (different than discretionary).  Luxury goods don't get impacted as much by inflation because those that can afford luxury don't feel a crunch from the increase on prices of broccoli and carrots at a grocery store lmao.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

That’s a good question. Considering BO isn’t even signed yet and everyone thought that was going to be pretty straightforward then I would say the Petey extension will be even more complicated. He may sit out again to be honest.