The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Andrew Peeke

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Gudbranson aside Columbus has been doing some pretty good work. 

I watched a lot of Flames games last season and that version of Gudbranson was what I had hoped for when he was in Van. 

He was very physical, improved greatly on his outlet passes. Overall he played very mean. Columbus had to overpay to acquire his services as a FA but if he can bring that style of game to CLB, even for that cap hit they will be happy.

10 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

I watched a lot of Flames games last season and that version of Gudbranson was what I had hoped for when he was in Van. 

He was very physical, improved greatly on his outlet passes. Overall he played very mean. Columbus had to overpay to acquire his services as a FA but if he can bring that style of game to CLB, even for that cap hit they will be happy.

Don't get me wrong, while I think he's overpaid I don't necessarily think he's a bad addition. Columbus clearly wanted to add a different dimension to their defense so they went out and added it. Even if he's say.. 1M overpaid a season I don't think a market that struggles to attract free agents like Columbus will care if he can bring even 3M worth of value. Same could probably be said of a team like Winnipeg. 

Some teams have a harder time attracting players than others, Columbus hasn't had a whole lot of hockey success and Columbus doesn't exactly scream top end destination. Good teams or not cities like Anaheim, Vancouver, LA, San Jose, and Florida (historically) get a leg up because they're sexier/more interesting places to live for predominantly young hockey players with a whack of cash. If they're good teams (Vegas over the last few seasons, maybe Vancouver this season, Tampa over most of the past decade) in sexy locations they're even more appealing. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Calgary put him in to a position to succeed. Something Benning struggled greatly with as manager. He could acquire legit NHL guys but actually making a cohesive pairing/unit.... We're still dealing with the repercussions of that now, particularly on our back end.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Calgary put him in to a position to succeed. Something Benning struggled greatly with as manager. He could acquire legit NHL guys but actually making a cohesive pairing/unit.... We're still dealing with the repercussions of that now, particularly on our back end.

Coaching job...  

Chatfield can all of a sudden play for Carolina but couldn't play for us.  

Tanev is all of a sudden an iron man in Calgary.  

Gudbranson, etc... 

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Coaching job...  

Chatfield can all of a sudden play for Carolina but couldn't play for us.  

Tanev is all of a sudden an iron man in Calgary.  

Gudbranson, etc... 

Some of it was probably coaching...but a lot of it is actually fitting complementary pieces together too. A guy like Gudbranson needed to play in an appropriate roll and with an appropriate partner...he had neither here...so he looked like trash. Put him in an appropriate role, with an appropriate partner in Calgary, and he looks like a solid mid-6 D with physicality.

Similar problems to what we have now with Hughes and OEL needing (our non existent) defensive guys to play opposite them...when Myers (our only other top 4 D) needs the same thing...but he plays the opposite side. Too many of the same types of players, non-cohesive pairings/units. Same problem with having Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn...how many right side, bottom pair, defensive D did we need? These guys are all legit NHL players...but the combination of them on this roster is such meh and wasted cap by a thousand cuts.

Edited by aGENT

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Some of it was probably coaching...but a lot of it is actually fitting complementary pieces together too. A guy like Gudbranson needed to play in an appropriate roll and with an appropriate partner...he had neither here...so he looked like trash. Put him in an appropriate role, with an appropriate partner in Calgary, and he looks like a solid mid-6 D with physicality.

Similar problems to what we have now with Hughes and OEL needing (our non existent) defensive guys to play opposite them...when Myers (our only other top 4 D) needs the same thing...but he plays the opposite side. Too many of the same types of players, non-cohesive pairings/units. Same problem with having Hamonic, Poolman and Schenn...how many right side, bottom pair, defensive D did we need? These guys are all legit NHL players...but the combination of them on this roster is such meh and wasted cap by a thousand cuts.

I started seeing some improvement on our D once Shaw took over from Baumgartner.  

I really think that our d-men were put in a position to fail by our coaching under Green in his last year and a half of tenure.  

We will see how it plays out this year. 

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I started seeing some improvement on our D once Shaw took over from Baumgartner.  

I really think that our d-men were put in a position to fail by our coaching under Green in his last year and a half of tenure.  

We will see how it plays out this year. 

Coaching was certainly making them look worse than they are. And they're far from the worst D in the league (probably about 15th-20th). But that doesn't change that we only have three, top 4 D, or that one of them (Myers) doesn't particularly fit well with either of the other two. Good players individually sure, but Myers is a train wreck with Hughes. And while he and OEL certainly played competently defensively last year, OEL ends up playing babysitter there and his (massive) offensive upside gets neutered, rather than supported.

None of those guys is particularly being put in position to succeed, to play to their strengths and get the most value out of their contracts. The pairings/unit are a dog's breakfast. A better dog's breakfast than what we saw under Baumer? Sure.