The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our old locker room wasn't bad. What kind of locker room upgrades was Rutherford referring to?

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

I know I have asked before if anyone had any new images of the new locker room and it's going to be hush hush until it's reveal but I was wondering what kind of updates would they do to the locker room? It was a fairly new locker room compared to some and it didn't look so bad. Anyone have any ideas as to what sort of upgrades Rutherford is talking about? I have seen the newer locker rooms that have been updated and they look amazing but is that the direction Rutherford is referring to when trying to attract other players? That wow factor?

Columbus's locker room comes to mind

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to Our old locker room wasn't bad. What kind of locker room upgrades was Rutherford referring to?

I remember when the Canucks first upgraded their locker room about a decade ago, it was revolutionary and the talk of the NHL. Everyone loved it and started copying it. Now it seems everyone else has started surpassing it with their renos and new arenas. I imagine its just a matter of keeping up with the rest of the league. Was there anything wrong with it? No. Just like there's nothing wrong with practicing at Rogers Arena, but having a dedicated team facility helps for a number of things, attracting free agents, building team chemistry, controlling your schedule, etc. It's not a big thing but every little bit helps when it comes to pro sports. 

16 minutes ago, buddhahoodlum said:

Maybe not having the Canucks logo on the floor and expect people to walk around it. 

Ya and I think there must be some major renovations happening if the players are not able to use it until opening night. Tells me something bigger is happening in there.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

9 hours ago, McBackup said:

I remember when the Canucks first upgraded their locker room about a decade ago, it was revolutionary and the talk of the NHL. Everyone loved it and started copying it. Now it seems everyone else has started surpassing it with their renos and new arenas. I imagine its just a matter of keeping up with the rest of the league. Was there anything wrong with it? No. Just like there's nothing wrong with practicing at Rogers Arena, but having a dedicated team facility helps for a number of things, attracting free agents, building team chemistry, controlling your schedule, etc. It's not a big thing but every little bit helps when it comes to pro sports. 

I would assume the biggest reason why they don't practice at Rogers arena is because there's concerts and events going on almost daily when the Canucks aren't there so they can pay for the building.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, st33 said:

I would assume the biggest reason why they don't practice at Rogers arena is because there's concerts and events going on almost daily when the Canucks aren't there so they can pay for the building.

The building was paid for years ago. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

The building was paid for years ago. 

Believe it or not operating costs don't disappear, and renovations like the one that's happening now aren't free!

3 minutes ago, st33 said:

Believe it or not operating costs don't disappear, and renovations like the one that's happening now aren't free!

I get that but the building was built using  a majority of the money coming from the Griffiths family and has been included twice in the sale of the team. They’re maximizing their profit from a building they own, not paying it off. 

11 minutes ago, st33 said:

They do practice at Rogers Arena, but thats exactly my point. I was addressing the new practice facility thats stuck in the development process. Their schedule is dictated by Rogers Arena's schedule, which is why they'll often practice at UBC, 8 rinks, etc. 

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, McBackup said:

They do practice at Rogers Arena, but thats exactly my point. I was addressing the new practice facility thats stuck in the development process. Their schedule is dictated by Rogers Arena's schedule, which is why they'll often practice at UBC, 8 rinks, etc. 

Do they? I've always thought they were still at tbird stadium

1 minute ago, st33 said:

Do they? I've always thought they were still at tbird stadium

When Rogers isn't available. And then when UBC isn't available they practice at 8 rinks. And then when 8 rinks isn't available they'll practice at Britannia. And so on.

This is part of why having a dedicated practice facility is important. It's pretty bush league for your billion dollar sports team to need to play second fiddle to public skates. Is it the end of the world? No. But like I said every little bit makes a difference.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think JR was thinking along the lines of a theater like briefing/meeting room that a lot of professional team have now.

He said that the media room is getting converted to something. 

Actually, I heard some rumors JT wanted some poles included in the new design and EP40 asked for a special powder & makeup room.

Gentlemen's Night Club in Architectural Visualization - UE Marketplace

GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, st33 said:

It's a business.   And it's not making money empty.   They should be doing that.   Concerts in OTT are great.  Def Leppard was awesome.    It's not BC place (tough acoustics, only Pink Floyd's crew really figured it out, plus tough to draw 50k or so people to a lot of smaller names).   Sure Rogers puts on a great show too.   The only real scheduling issues they've ever had, was trying to play both Grizzlies and Canucks home games ... imagine having to build a perfect basketball court, over the ice!  Nuts. 

That building has generated billions in revenue over the years.    It's why these places can be built for 800-1000 million dollars these days.  Seattles and Detroits.     Personally not a fan of ones that get to the 20k range.   No matter how they are designed, the intimacy factor is lost.   17-18k is about the right size for NHL hockey.   Otherwise they get very cramped, and very steep.   That's an aside lol.    GM Place/Rogers is still a great venue. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1