The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hurricanes sign Calvin de Haan

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Is it reasonable to expect different/better results from the d-unit if nothing changes?  

Not being critical,  just logical. 

Depends if Poolman is healthy and can get back to form. If Rathbone can make the team and keep developing. And if Dekeyser and Dermott are able to solidify the bottom 4.

Not to mention if Yeo’s new systems can make a difference to the overall structure of the team.

I think having four strong centers down the middle will make a big difference, along with being deep on wing. The forwards need to take just as much responsibility in our defensive game.

Still lots of question marks to be answered there.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Depends if Poolman is healthy and can get back to form. If Rathbone can make the team and keep developing. And if Dekeyser and Dermott are able to solidify the bottom 4.

Not to mention if Yeo’s new systems can make a difference to the overall structure of the team.

I think having four strong centers down the middle will make a big difference, along with being deep on wing. The forwards need to take just as much responsibility in our defensive game.

Still lots of question marks to be answered there.

That's a lot of 'if's' heading into the season.   Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in that d-unit.  More than happy to be proven wrong on this issue however.....

13 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That's a lot of 'if's' heading into the season.   Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in that d-unit.  More than happy to be proven wrong on this issue however.....

There’s not a single team that doesn’t have question marks.

Not all those questions will be answered positively. But even if a couple turn out we’ll be in a good position.

it’s not like those question are crazy fantasy. I can see any one of them turning out good. In fact I would put a few of them at more likely than not.

Edited by DeNiro

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s not a single team that doesn’t have question marks.

Not all those questions will be answered positively. But even if a couple turn out we’ll be in a good position.

it’s not like those question are crazy fantasy. I can see any one of them turning out good. In fact I would put a few of them at more likely than not.

How did I know this was going to be the response, and you know what, you're right, I won't argue that.

The thing is, there's a HUGE difference between a perennial playoff team, or a team on the rise, having a couple 'periphery' questions versus a team like us - a perennial borderline wild-card team - having a huge question-mark about the entire d-unit being simply not good enough in the past and going into a new season with essentially the exact same personnel who already proved they weren't good enough.  

I believe management knows the d isn't good enough, and I also believe they tried diligently to address this area of the team but for reasons we all know, they could not.  When Allvin says he's ok with the d, I understand that to mean he knows it's a concern but he's not about to throw those guys under the bus before the puck even drops.

I want to be optimistic about this season, but when our overwhelmingly biggest weakness goes unaddressed, one has to realistically ask the question - what's going to be different this time, and I think that's a completely fair question for this group.   

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How did I know this was going to be the response, and you know what, you're right, I won't argue that.

The thing is, there's a HUGE difference between a perennial playoff team, or a team on the rise, having a couple 'periphery' questions versus a team like us - a perennial borderline wild-card team - having a huge question-mark about the entire d-unit being simply not good enough in the past and going into a new season with essentially the exact same personnel who already proved they weren't good enough.  

I believe management knows the d isn't good enough, and I also believe they tried diligently to address this area of the team but for reasons we all know, they could not.  When Allvin says he's ok with the d, I understand that to mean he knows it's a concern but he's not about to throw those guys under the bus before the puck even drops.

I want to be optimistic about this season, but when our overwhelmingly biggest weakness goes unaddressed, one has to realistically ask the question - what's going to be different this time, and I think that's a completely fair question for this group.   

I don’t agree. Even perennial playoff teams have big question marks.

You don’t think the Leafs or the Oilers have big question marks? Of course they do.

We have weaknesses on D no doubt. The question will ultimately come down to whether our deep forward group and excellent goaltending can make up for it. It’s not like we’d be the only team that would need to outscore our defensive problems.

I think you’re putting too much focus on the D. Our failures last season came down to a horrendous start caused by a historically bad penalty kill. Three more wins in that span and we were a playoff team.

Once Boudreau took over we were actually one of the best 5 on 5 teams in the league.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think you’re putting too much focus on the D. 

I don't believe so, nor does JR.

JR himself said the shot rate (both quality and quantity) the d was giving up were unsustainable and could not lead to playoffs nor was the BB effect sustainable either.  We all know what an overwhelming toll it takes on a #1 goalie throughout a grueling season to be shelled with quality chances on a nightly basis, it's unsustainable.  I defer to JR's hall of fame experience on these issues.  

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't believe so, nor does JR.

JR himself said the shot rate (both quality and quantity) the d was giving up were unsustainable and could not lead to playoffs nor was the BB effect sustainable either.  We all know what an overwhelming toll it takes on a #1 goalie throughout a grueling season to be shelled with quality chances on a nightly basis, it's unsustainable.  I defer to JR's hall of fame experience on these issues.  

Well clearly he’s not or he would have made changes. :lol:

He also said in a later interview he thinks the D is good enough to make the playoffs.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Well clearly he’s not or he would have made changes. :lol:

He also said in a later interview he thinks the D is good enough to make the playoffs.

They both, Allvin and JR,  acknowledged they tried to address the d this offseason, but the financial restraints and market pressures would not allow them to. 

Backing their guys publicly is admirable for sure, but realistically a HoF guy like JR knows you don't throw your guys under the bus regardless if that's what you believe or not, whether he's happy or not this is who has to go into the trenches and he'll back them cuz he's a team guy. 

It's cleat they tried to make changes and when they couldn't they supported who they have and I don't necessarily have any issues with that stance.   

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

They both, Allvin and JR,  acknowledged they tried to address the d this offseason, but the financial restraints and market pressures would not allow them to. 

Backing their guys publicly is admirable for sure, but realistically a HoF guy like JR knows you don't throw your guys under the bus regardless if that's what you believe or not, whether he's happy or not this is who has to go into the trenches and he'll back them cuz he's a team guy. 

It's cleat they tried to make changes and when they couldn't they supported who they have and I don't necessarily have any issues with that stance.   

Well the point still stands they didn’t put that much focus on it regardless if they thought about it.

They wouldn’t have signed Mikayev to a 4 million dollar deal if they thought the D was in that bad of shape.

I think they believe with the right pairings the D is passable. Where they’re not happy right now is with the depth, which they said they’ll address in time. I think you’re reading tok much into them just saying they believe in the group vs them actually believing in them. Of course they wanna improve but they know they don’t need to force anything right now. In JRs own words this team is good enough to win.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the point still stands they didn’t put that much focus on it regardless if they thought about it.

They wouldn’t have signed Mikayev to a 4 million dollar deal if they thought the D was in that bad of shape.

I think they believe with the right pairings the D is passable. Where they’re not happy right now is with the depth, which they said they’ll address in time. I think you’re reading tok much into them just saying they believe in the group vs them actually believing in them. Of course they wanna improve but they know they don’t need to force anything right now. In JRs own words this team is good enough to win.

I'm actually curious if there was some kind of Kuzmenko + Mikheyev package deal negotiation that happened. We already know Mikheyev pushed Kuzmenko towards Vancouver. 

To your point about this team getting good enough, it will be interesting to see what happens if the team plays a bit more of a structured game. Someone like Dickinson thrived in a more structured system in Dallas, and struggled with the run and gun style here.

Maybe our weaker D can outperform its talent level just by having a clearer plan and structure.

• Cheers 1