The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 42 players - Oct. 02, 2022

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't he super slow?

Pretty sure you’re right. I wouldn’t bother taking him since he wouldn’t be an everyday guy…but it would sure be nice to have another d to look after the rough stuff around the crease and take some of the pressure off of Luke.

44 minutes ago, Odd. said:

To be honest, I’d prefer if guys who were 6’5+ at forward have some sort of mean streak to their game. It’s something we lack, even with Joshua. 

Tufte would be a player I’d grab. His skating for his size is really good, and he plays a heavy, north south game which we need more of in our bottom 6. He hasn’t really had an opportunity in Dallas as he’s had a couple of problems with the coaching staff there (not because of his attitude but how unfair he was being treated).

Tufte alongside Lazar and Joshua would make an excellent 4th line.

Definitely some upside there (and a first round pedigree is nothing to sneeze at), and Tufte is probably a player who could use a change of scenery, given some of what he’s gone through the last couple years with the Stars.

Still, I’m not entirely convinced of his NHL readiness at this point.

Tufte isn’t a player anyone really seems surprised to see hit waivers (at least based on reactions/comments I’ve seen from people with far better knowledge of the Stars organization than me).

Agree, however, that he’s closer to that “mean streak” type of profile than a guy like Zohorna is.

On the other hand, I’ve seen plenty of “hockey people” expressing some surprise at Zohorna getting waived today. He was definitely seen as a player with a really solid chance of claiming a bottom-six spot in the NHL this season. And one with some upside and still a little runway left to develop into a player of quality.

And here are some decent quotes from today’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Entering training camp, Zohorna was seen as a viable candidate to claim a spot among the team’s bottom-six forwards. Last week, Zohorna drew strong reviews from management.

“(Zohorna) has played really well for us,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said on Tuesday. “He’s made some plays throughout the course of the (intrasquad scrimmages) and the (preseason games). His fitness level has been the best it’s been since he’s been a Penguin. That’s allowing him the opportunity to play his game, just his ability to sustain his energy level and his effort level throughout the course of a long shift or just shift to shift or period to period. That’s something that we tried to challenge (Zohorna) with in the offseason and certainly, he’s put the work in. We can see it on the ice.”

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd grab Greg McKegg just for his name

Now that's a hockey name

that guy should get a beer advertising deal in every city he plays in

"Hi, I'm Gregg McKegg, when I'm thirsty I reach of a Near Beer, in bottles, cans and this handy take home Kegg"

17 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

My money is on Gabriel Carlsson if we end up claiming someone from this list.

Feel like Carlsson is the fit we need for Myers and what we were hoping to get our of DeKeyser.  Stay at home D-man and Swedish to boot.

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes

Carlsson - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

This could bide us a bit of time until Rathbone is ready.

4 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Feel like Carlsson is the fit we need for Myers and what we were hoping to get our of DeKeyser.  Stay at home D-man and Swedish to boot.

Ekman-Larsson - Hughes

Carlsson - Myers

Dermott - Schenn

This could bide us a bit of time until Rathbone is ready.

Rathbone needs waivers this year to clear I think...could be wrong! Rathbone needs to play, but he could be a 7/8D I suppose...Rathbone Schenn is a good 3rd pair but who knows with Poolman healthy supposedly and Dermott and how injured he is or isn't

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Curious to see how the waivers list in the next couple days will look, before rosters are trimmed down.

Here's a chance for PA to potentially nab a solid (even 2nd pair would be good) RHD.

shoot for the moon,

maybe there will be a future Norris trophy winner on waivers tomorrow

woot

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Rathbone needs waivers this year to clear I think...could be wrong! Rathbone needs to play, but he could be a 7/8D I suppose...Rathbone Schenn is a good 3rd pair but who knows with Poolman healthy supposedly and Dermott and how injured he is or isn't

Ideally it would be Rathbone Schenn with Dermott as number 7 but he has to be ready or close to.  If he needed waivers then that definitely changes things as there would be no way we would lose him for nothing.

58 minutes ago, lmm said:

that guy should get a beer advertising deal in every city he plays in

"Hi, I'm Gregg McKegg, when I'm thirsty I reach of a Near Beer, in bottles, cans and this handy take home Kegg"

For real though, so many marketing opportunities 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1