The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 42 players - Oct. 02, 2022

5 hours ago, sonoman said:

Wasn’t Caggiula the college prospect every team was drooling over?  Then he went to the coilers, where highly touted prospects go to die. ;) 

FE8E68D9-8C3A-4A1E-9811-5FBCE65532FC.gif

So...  just to be clear, should we go for him or no?? He was on same line as Boeser back with Univ of ND?

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Definitely some upside there (and a first round pedigree is nothing to sneeze at), and Tufte is probably a player who could use a change of scenery, given some of what he’s gone through the last couple years with the Stars.

Still, I’m not entirely convinced of his NHL readiness at this point.

Tufte isn’t a player anyone really seems surprised to see hit waivers (at least based on reactions/comments I’ve seen from people with far better knowledge of the Stars organization than me).

Agree, however, that he’s closer to that “mean streak” type of profile than a guy like Zohorna is.

On the other hand, I’ve seen plenty of “hockey people” expressing some surprise at Zohorna getting waived today. He was definitely seen as a player with a really solid chance of claiming a bottom-six spot in the NHL this season. And one with some upside and still a little runway left to develop into a player of quality.

And here are some decent quotes from today’s Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

Entering training camp, Zohorna was seen as a viable candidate to claim a spot among the team’s bottom-six forwards. Last week, Zohorna drew strong reviews from management.

“(Zohorna) has played really well for us,” Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said on Tuesday. “He’s made some plays throughout the course of the (intrasquad scrimmages) and the (preseason games). His fitness level has been the best it’s been since he’s been a Penguin. That’s allowing him the opportunity to play his game, just his ability to sustain his energy level and his effort level throughout the course of a long shift or just shift to shift or period to period. That’s something that we tried to challenge (Zohorna) with in the offseason and certainly, he’s put the work in. We can see it on the ice.”

Interesting to make  a claim and try the guy out, maybe he can out play Karlsson, Di Guseppe or any of the other guys vying for a spot in lui of Boeser and Makayev's injuries.

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

So...  just to be clear, should we go for him or no?? He was on same line as Boeser back with Univ of ND?

He was but I think Nick Schmaltz was the “driver” or playmaker of that CBS line.  Something about Drake playing for 4 different teams already doesn’t sound good.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Dylan Mcilrath is kind of tempting. A righty d that’ll go with the big boys although probably not an everyday player.

He's had injuries (knee) but he's my friend's nephew and I'd be all for that...have followed him since his early days. He's a tough customer.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He's had injuries (knee) but he's my friend's nephew and I'd be all for that...have followed him since his early days. He's a tough customer.

Pretty impressive fight card including a win over Schenn.

Too bad about the knee.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Rathbone needs waivers this year to clear I think...could be wrong! Rathbone needs to play, but he could be a 7/8D I suppose...Rathbone Schenn is a good 3rd pair but who knows with Poolman healthy supposedly and Dermott and how injured he is or isn't

i think there is one more year exemption for Rathbone and Hoglander

• Cheers 1