The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stinking Stink Bugs

Anyone else notice a massive infestation of these little buggers this year? I've been trying to find some recent news or articles regarding this phenomenon but I haven't had much luck. Surely this is a cause for concern as they are apparently invasive and can decimate many different kinds of crops. 

I was at my dads in south Vancouver a few weeks ago helping him cut a few branches off a maple tree and there were literally hundreds of these things crawling all over the place. This weekend they were much bigger and climbing on the house. I am in North Delta and its the same thing, stink bugs everywhere. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_marmorated_stink_bug

The brown marmorated stink bug (Halyomorpha halys) is an insect in the family Pentatomidae, native to China, Japan, Korea and other Asian regions.[2] In September 1998 it was collected in Allentown, Pennsylvania, where it is believed to have been accidentally introduced.[3] The nymphs and adults of the brown marmorated stink bug feed on over 100 species of plants, including many agricultural crops,[4] and by 2010–11 had become a season-long pest in orchards in the Eastern United States.[5] In 2010, in the Mid-Atlantic United States, $37 million in apple crops were lost, and some stone fruit growers lost more than 90% of their crops.[6] It is now established in many parts of North America, and has recently become established in Europe and South America.[7]

220px-Pentatomidae_-_Halyomorpha_halys-001.webp

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

We had it way worse here in Abbotsford  about 3 years ago when the stinkers were fricken everywhere! I saw an article on I believe on SFU’s website warning about them and asking people to be on the lookout and to send pics if spotted. I emailed them and their only response was “yep, that’s them.”

Quite a few starting to show up lately but not nearly so many here so far. Maybe it’s because we’ve been squashing them steadily for 3 years.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

We had it way worse here in Abbotsford  about 3 years ago when the stinkers were fricken everywhere! I saw an article on I believe on SFU’s website warning about them and asking people to be on the lookout and to send pics if spotted. I emailed them and their only response was “yep, that’s them.”

Quite a few starting to show up lately but not nearly so many here so far. Maybe it’s because we’ve been squashing them steadily for 3 years.

Lol, nice looking bug you got there...well...see ya. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

The stink bug I have is the worst! Always super loud, make a giant mess, and most recently threw my car keys in my beer.

We’re talking about 1 year olds right?

Those are domestic stink bugs. Annoying but harmless. I believe the proper scientific nomenclature is crotch goblin. 

• Haha 2

• 7 months later...

I tried to warn you guys but nobody listened to me. Opened up the gazebo curtains today and had a real Temple of Doom fortune cookie type moment. Hundreds of these little buggers came pooring out and tried to scurry off. I did my part but I'm only one man. Still find the odd one in the nooks and crannys of the house but these bastards survived the winter outdoors. God help us all. We're gonna need snow shovels this fall.