The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Mackenzie Weegar

29 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yup. It may happen sooner than people expect. Look at San Jose. Everyone knew the fall was coming, but they sure didn't expect it immediately after handing Erik Karlsson $92 million.

I suspect Flames will be solid for a couple of years. But the pain will likely start coming before the contracts they handed out to Huberdeau, Kadri, and Weegar are even halfway done.

I mean I get it, Treliving didn't have much choice here. I guess in 4 years they can just tank. 

1 hour ago, suitup said:

We have enough winger depth, we'd need to replace all of Horvat's FO's and 2nd line center offensive output and PK. We would still need a RHD and the 1st rounder could be used to draft positional need if we do poorly. The package is enticing and I do love Robertson, but if we put that together we should definitely get a RHD back 

Yeah you're right and besides Horvat and Rathbone plus 1st wouldn't be good enough to get a Robertson.  

I can't think of a good quality RHD that we could get with that package. Schneider is not nearly good enough, the rest of the contenders don't have any RHDs under 25 not named Makar and Fox. Who am I forgetting? 

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I mean I get it, Treliving didn't have much choice here. I guess in 4 years they can just tank. 

I hope that these deals prevent them from tanking and ensure that they stay in the soft middle for years to come. 

15 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yeah you're right and besides Horvat and Rathbone plus 1st wouldn't be good enough to get a Robertson.  

I can't think of a good quality RHD that we could get with that package. Schneider is not nearly good enough, the rest of the contenders don't have any RHDs under 25 not named Makar and Fox. Who am I forgetting? 

That's because good quality RHD rarely get moved.  It's best to draft them, or to be honest, sign them via UFA.

44 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Hughes for Nemec ++?  Feels blasphemous saying it.

No thank you.  Until Nemec shows what he can do at the NHL level, there's no way I'd gamble away a potential PPG dynamic defenceman like Hughes.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just now, HKSR said:

No thank you.  Until Nemec shows what he can do at the NHL level, there's no way I'd gamble away a potential PPG dynamic defenceman like Hughes.

Was gonna say... that plus plus would have to be astronomical.

if they dont get it done in the next 2-3 years theres gonna be a lot of anchors there.

On HF boards Florida fans claim that Weegar and Huber were very underwhelming in the playoffs.  Could Flames be over estimating what these guys can bring at crunch time?

Disclosure: I Hate the flames more than any other team so yes I am biased :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

Cap would have to triple to make a 3rd pairing dman making 6+ million friendly.

I don’t see him as 3rd pairing. He is a 2-4 dman. Even if it’s 1-2million over payments in the second half of the contract. That’s still better than a lot of teams!

In theory... This is a epic moment in time for the fLames.  Hate to say that... However, that is just on paper... I hate the fLames but... This may very well get them to the cup, and maybe win it.  But if this doesn't pan out, though I think it will...  Ohhhhh shit!! 

Regardless, respect for pulling these deals off under difficult circumstances.  

13 minutes ago, #Canucks said:

I don’t see him as 3rd pairing. He is a 2-4 dman. Even if it’s 1-2million over payments in the second half of the contract. That’s still better than a lot of teams!

He's a top pairing right now dman for sure. He's proven that, but at age 33-35? 2nd pair at best. Age 35-38? Likely 3rd pair.

Edited by coryberg

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Agreed.  We also have some intriguing Swedish d prospects that I would like to see develop and make the team.  If that happens we may not need a true #1RHD.  

1 hour ago, coryberg said:

He's a top pairing right now dman for sure. He's proven that, but at age 33-35? 2nd pair at best. Age 35-38? Likely 3rd pair.

How is this any different from the OEL and Miller situation that we currently have? 

• Like 1