The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Canucks may still be interested in signing UFA Sonny Milano

RWJC

https://usasports.news/report-canucks-like-sonny-milano-but-roster-and-cap-situations-could-hamper-signing/

Forward Sonny Milano turned some heads when he signed a PTO with the Calgary Flames this fall, in part because many believed that the former Anaheim Duck would receive a full NHL contract offer from a team. Last season Milano set career highs in production, scoring 14 goals and 34 points in 66 games, but that contract offer never materialized.

Milano was recently released from his PTO after an underwhelming preseason, but that may not mean the end of his NHL journey.

Per Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal of The Athletic, (subscription link) the Vancouver Canucks invited Milano to their training camp before he ultimately chose to go to Calgary, and they “still like” Milano as a player. But given the complex roster and cap situation that the Canucks’ front office will need to manage in the coming days, Drance and Dhaliwal do state that the team isn’t able to acquire Milano at this moment. The bottom line, though, is that despite how rapidly his stock seemed to decline over the course of this summer and preseason, there still are teams who believe Milano can contribute in the NHL.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Hoping to play with McD ?

He was cut from CGY, but why not try out for a team with a good chance to go deep. He can always wait a bit and sign with a less attractive option once injuries occur and there are better cap options. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Odd. said:

Could be another Tyler Motte type player

He and Motte are about as opposite of players as you can get. Milano is pure skill whereas Motte is a two-way hard nosed grinder. I’d like Milano but I’m wondering where he’d fit. 

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Perhaps we move a Garland/Boeser for a D and he comes in to replace some of that skilled winger depth on a cheap deal? I'm not opposed to something along those lines.

Maybe. And if we do make a trade like that, it better be for a legit top 4 defenceman. That’s real hard to do in today’s climate. So really, that scenario is unlikely 

1 hour ago, Pears said:

He and Motte are about as opposite of players as you can get. Milano is pure skill whereas Motte is a two-way hard nosed grinder. I’d like Milano but I’m wondering where he’d fit. 

Milano doesn't fit here.  We arent have a  soft one dimensional player in boeser we need to get rid of.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Maybe. And if we do make a trade like that, it better be for a legit top 4 defenceman. That’s real hard to do in today’s climate. So really, that scenario is unlikely 

We're probably not getting a top pair D in this environment, for those assets (give or take some sweetener)... But I definitely think we could swing a 2nd pair guy. Either established or a young guy with 2nd pair up side.

An Adam Larsson level guy established guy or a Hague level younger guy.

Edited by aGENT

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're probably not getting a top pair D in this environment, for those assets (give or take some sweetener)... But I definitely think we could swing a 2nd pair guy. Either established or a young guy with 2nd pair up side.

An Adam Larsson level guy established guy or a Hague level younger guy.

To quote Bruce Buffer…

”it’s tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmme!”