The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riley Stillman | #61 | D

-AJ-

1 hour ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

The last left-side defenseman traded from Chicago with the initial R.S. was Ryan Stanton. He gave 2 solid years for the Canucks. If Stillman can do the same, it's a win.

My bad. I should have said 'picked up' instead of 'traded' as Stanton was picked off waivers in 2013-14.

Stillman - Burroughs will be a pretty gritty, tough 3rd pairing which we could certainly use. I'm not sure if Rathbone hasn't done enough to steal that spot, he might get deployed against weaker teams but to start the season I think we need some good defensive stability with Myers out so would rather have someone who's played a bit more NHL time. Once Dermott and Myers trickle back in we can use Rathbone but maybe to start the season, Stillman's a better option.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Stillman - Burroughs will be a pretty gritty, tough 3rd pairing which we could certainly use. I'm not sure if Rathbone hasn't done enough to steal that spot, he might get deployed against weaker teams but to start the season I think we need some good defensive stability with Myers out so would rather have someone who's played a bit more NHL time. Once Dermott and Myers trickle back in we can use Rathbone but maybe to start the season, Stillman's a better option.

The big question is if Hughes gets deployed to play RHD 5on5 to start the season. IF so, we might see rathbone playing with Schenn on a 2A line, with the 2B being Stillman-Poolman. 

Poolman is the real question mark in my opinion; can he actually play in a top 4 role?????

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

The big question is if Hughes gets deployed to play RHD 5on5 to start the season. IF so, we might see rathbone playing with Schenn on a 2A line, with the 2B being Stillman-Poolman. 

Poolman is the real question mark in my opinion; can he actually play in a top 4 role?????

I think Hughes will mainly stick to the left to be honest based on training camp.

As for Poolman, no he's terrible, a good 6-7th defenceman on most teams but is our 4th guy. OEL will really have to work hard to make that pairing work and I hope Bruce uses all pairings a bit more evenly, rather than OEL-Poolman as a shutdown pairing because top lines will eat him alive and they'll just focus on Poolman's side.

As soon as Dermott's back, he gets that spot (if Myers isn't back first).

We had this glaring hole 12 months ago and management haven't sorted it so whatever happens to our D is on them. They wanted to give Poolman another shot and I respect that, but at what cost...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this is his last game, off to AHL/waivers. -6 in just 8 games played is impressive and he's lost us the game against Nashville by himself by losing his man. Myers and Stillman togethern- that L goes to Bruce, but let's see if he learns his lesson and benches him forever. I also wonder if management are forcing BB to play him so the trade doesn't look so bad.

I'd take Brisebois, Rathbone and Burroughs in our lineup over Stillman any day.

• Like 1

Icing the puck on delayed offside was a head scratcher..  every player including linesman yells offside yet he ignores or is lost in his own thoughts and panics and ices the puck.   I dont see with his positioning why he is still in games.  Play our young kids and develop them instead of playing other teams castoffs.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

This guy can't play hockey to save his life.  He wouldn't even cut in Burnaby 8 Rinks ASHL Division 8.  He's that pathetically bad.

Him and Myers.  WTH was Boudreau thinking?

Both those d-men had atrocious games last night. So frustrating to watch them struggle. NSH has a very good forecheck but they could not make a decent play to get the puck out of our zone to save their lives and were constantly scrambling.