The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames sign head coach Darryl Sutter to contract extension

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I hate...hate...HATE what the Flames have done the last 2 seasons.  Because it's all good.  They absolutely won that Tkachuk trade.  They have added depth at every single position.  Arguably the best defense in the west with some of the best goaltending.  Didn't let assets (outside of jonny boy) walk for nothing and are not afraid to make moves when needed.

I hate this, and I hate the Sutter is such a perfect coach for this team

What's interesting is that they're betting their entire next decade on these next 2 years, and they're barely even contenders at this point. There's their team on paper which is really nice, but the playoffs seems to always just neutralize anything they've built during the regular season.

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I hate...hate...HATE what the Flames have done the last 2 seasons.  Because it's all good.  They absolutely won that Tkachuk trade.  They have added depth at every single position.  Arguably the best defense in the west with some of the best goaltending.  Didn't let assets (outside of jonny boy) walk for nothing and are not afraid to make moves when needed.

I hate this, and I hate the Sutter is such a perfect coach for this team

I mean they let all their UFAs walk for nothing: a top 5 forward in the league last year, and a RHD (Guddy).  

There was no way they were going to trade them mid-season.  Same rationale applied to the Canucks of 2019-20...  there was absolutely no way that they were going to trade Marky or Tanev.  

Calgary re-signed Zadorov and the rest were all RFAs.  It's easy to recoup value for an RFA, not a UFA.  Definitely looks like they won the Florida trade on paper, but nobody's played a single game yet. 

23 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

What's interesting is that they're betting their entire next decade on these next 2 years, and they're barely even contenders at this point. There's their team on paper which is really nice, but the playoffs seems to always just neutralize anything they've built during the regular season.

Sorry but they're contenders. Just look at their odds to win the cup. It's delusional and biased to think they're not contenders. They will be prepared for Edmonton this year.

I hate them as much as the next Canucks fan, but they're absolutely contenders.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

His ego and inability to adjust come playoff time as shown last year will be a key reason why the Flames never go past the 2nd round with this group.

Just like the Leafs though, Good regular season team / coach lol

Dude has two cups within the last ten seasons, I'm pretty sure he's shown the ability to adjust before. They crumbled against the Oil and it surprised a lot of people, sometimes that happens. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I mean, I keep seeing folks around here wanting to crown the Canucks as contenders and we've made the playoffs three times over the past ten seasons with two of those being Sedin led teams. Calgary just put up fifty wins for the second time in four years and have gotten in three of the past four years, they're closer to being contenders than we are. 

Even if they are betting on going for it over this next stretch they're still in better shape than us imo. Quality tending, one of the better D cores in the league for at least the next two years, a group that should still score plenty of goals. Sure, they've got to go and show they can actually do it with the changes they've made but that applies to every other team in the league including us. 

They looked like a team that'd completely bought in last season and their having lost to the Oil doesn't detract from that, hockey happens. Tampa ran into a wall against Columbus, it's not easy for teams to break through. We've seen teams beat their head against the playoff wall for in recent years before even getting to a conference final, let alone a cup final in St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Colorado. Teams don't usually just come out of nowhere, the teams that go deep are usually teams that have been in the playoff mix for a sustained stretch. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Dude has two cups within the last ten seasons, I'm pretty sure he's shown the ability to adjust before. They crumbled against the Oil and it surprised a lot of people, sometimes that happens. 

Don't care, 10 years in a long time and he did nothing with three 40 goals scorers, 3 100 point guys, One of the deepest defenses, A vezina goalie and what seemed to be a roster that lost the fewest guys to Injury. He allowed 2 players to take out that type of team. 

He's a old albertan. Ego is a real thing lol

21 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Don't care, 10 years in a long time and he did nothing with three 40 goals scorers, 3 100 point guys, One of the deepest defenses, A vezina goalie and what seemed to be a roster that lost the fewest guys to Injury. He allowed 2 players to take out that type of team. 

Agree to disagree, I don't think it's enough to lay it all at his feet when it's on the players as well. Sutter's proven himself to be a competent coach who can bring out the best in teams if they're willing to buy in, he's absolutely turned the Flames around since returning to Calgary. 

Plus, it's not as if McDavid and Draisaitl are your typical everyday players, two guys or not. I was rooting against the Oil as I hate them a lot more than I hate Calgary but there's no denying how dominant those two were, or how dominant they have been for years. They're two of the most offensively talented players in the league, one could reasonably argue that even Draisaitl is a top five talent right now. I blame a lot of what happened to the Flames on Markstrom, he simply didn't look like himself during that series imo, he's a better tender than his performances during that series would indicate. Hockey happens. 

Edited by Coconuts

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agree to disagree, I don't think it's enough to lay it all at his feet when it's on the players as well. Sutter's proven himself to be a competent coach who can bring out the best in teams if they're willing to buy in, he's absolutely turned the Flames around since returning to Calgary. 

Plus, it's not as if McDavid and Draisaitl are your typical everyday players, two guys or not. I was rooting against the Oil as I hate them a lot more than I hate Calgary but there's no denying how dominant those two were, or how dominant they have been for years. They're two of the most offensively talented players in the league, one could reasonably argue that even Draisaitl is a top five talent right now. I blame a lot of what happened to the Flames on Markstrom, he simply didn't look like himself during that series imo, he's a better tender than his performances during that series would indicate. Hockey happens. 

I just prefer the hot takes side of things I guess. It's not like I'm treating this forum as alberta and I'm convincing the masses of radical ideas :lol:

I mean I got the Leafs finishing 9th in the east as well. Same with Vegas at 9th in the west. All I really know is this is going to wild year for hockey. Some real good teams will miss the playoffs

5 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

I just prefer the hot takes side of things I guess. It's not like I'm treating this forum as alberta and I'm convincing the masses of radical ideas :lol:

I mean I got the Leafs finishing 9th in the east as well. Same with Vegas at 9th in the west. All I really know is this is going to wild year for hockey. Some real good teams will miss the playoffs

You should try to convince the masses that flats are better than drums 

I'd be shocked if the Leafs cratered like that but it'd be funny, I don't think the Vegas one is too far off though as I expect them to be in the mix 

45 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

A guy named Scotty Bowman had one of the most legendary teams under his belt in league history in the red wings and only won 3 cups from 1993-2002.  Hull, Yzerman, Robataiile, Fedorov, etc etc etc.  Under his tutelage and coaching there is no less than 13 different HOFplayers that won cups under him.

Sutter managed 2 cups with the kings.  In 6 years.  With Kopitar and Doughty as his leaders.

Sorry bud, you can not discount what he's done.  When weighed against what Bowman did wit THAT team in less time it's actually impressive.  He actually did as much or more with less on his roster than the following multi cup winning teams since the 1990s

Penguins*

Blackhawks 

Lightning

Red Wings 

Avalanche

New Jersey

Asterisk by the Pens who won back to back in the 90s and 10s

Sorry mate, Sutter holds his weight well when you think about his rosters vs the following especially knowing that those same teams also failed miserably with far more than he had for one single season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I mean, I keep seeing folks around here wanting to crown the Canucks as contenders and we've made the playoffs three times over the past ten seasons with two of those being Sedin led teams. Calgary just put up fifty wins for the second time in four years and have gotten in three of the past four years, they're closer to being contenders than we are. 

Even if they are betting on going for it over this next stretch they're still in better shape than us imo. Quality tending, one of the better D cores in the league for at least the next two years, a group that should still score plenty of goals. Sure, they've got to go and show they can actually do it with the changes they've made but that applies to every other team in the league including us. 

They looked like a team that'd completely bought in last season and their having lost to the Oil doesn't detract from that, hockey happens. Tampa ran into a wall against Columbus, it's not easy for teams to break through. We've seen teams beat their head against the playoff wall for in recent years before even getting to a conference final, let alone a cup final in St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Colorado. Teams don't usually just come out of nowhere, the teams that go deep are usually teams that have been in the playoff mix for a sustained stretch. 

When you look at the quality of teams that Calgary has lost to in those wonderful regular seasons, it paints a pretty ugly picture of their ability to ramp it up in the playoffs. They shipped out 2 players who struggled during the playoffs and have brought in another. Kadri could end up being a playoff warrior for them though, who knows 

2 hours ago, Maginator said:

Sorry but they're contenders. Just look at their odds to win the cup. It's delusional and biased to think they're not contenders. They will be prepared for Edmonton this year.

I hate them as much as the next Canucks fan, but they're absolutely contenders.

I consider 3-4 teams contenders every year. Calgary doesn't fit that for me and I don't think that makes me delusional. I follow them quite closely, and I remember how harsh their fans were to start off last year, thinking that they'd be a bubble team. All of a sudden they're contenders? Let's see their elite, top of the league defence and goaltending shut McDavid down ONCE, just one time, and then let's talk about it again. 

46 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You should try to convince the masses that flats are better than drums 

I'd be shocked if the Leafs cratered like that but it'd be funny, I don't think the Vegas one is too far off though as I expect them to be in the mix 

It's more about everyone else keeping pace. I only see 5 bad teams. Everyone else has a real shot at the show 

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A guy named Scotty Bowman had one of the most legendary teams under his belt in league history in the red wings and only won 3 cups from 1993-2002.  Hull, Yzerman, Robataiile, Fedorov, etc etc etc.  Under his tutelage and coaching there is no less than 13 different HOFplayers that won cups under him.

Sutter managed 2 cups with the kings.  In 6 years.  With Kopitar and Doughty as his leaders.

Sorry bud, you can not discount what he's done.  When weighed against what Bowman did wit THAT team in less time it's actually impressive.  He actually did as much or more with less on his roster than the following multi cup winning teams since the 1990s

Penguins*

Blackhawks 

Lightning

Red Wings 

Avalanche

New Jersey

Asterisk by the Pens who won back to back in the 90s and 10s

Sorry mate, Sutter holds his weight well when you think about his rosters vs the following especially knowing that those same teams also failed miserably with far more than he had for one single season.

Lol I don't think I was suggesting his entire career is worthless? I think he's past his prime at this stage when it comes to playoff success 

12 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

When you look at the quality of teams that Calgary has lost to in those wonderful regular seasons, it paints a pretty ugly picture of their ability to ramp it up in the playoffs. They shipped out 2 players who struggled during the playoffs and have brought in another. Kadri could end up being a playoff warrior for them though, who knows 

Gotta be in the mix consistently to build up experience though, you almost never see teams come out of nowhere and suddenly go deep. That being said, I don't believe in the "get to the playoffs and anything can happen" narrative because it's not enough to just get there, you've got to get there and stay there consistently. We got in during the bubble and had a fun run that got everyone all amped up, and then we flubbed it the next two seasons.  

Getting to the playoffs is a great step, but the goal has to be able to do it consistently. People go on and on about how the goal is the cup but it's still typically the teams who are top teams year after year who go deep, sixteen teams make the playoffs every season and the odds are always going to be against you, this is why consistency is key. 

Building a sustainably competitive team is what eventually gets teams deep, Calgary should be a top team again but as an older team their window is likely shorter. But building a sustainably competitive team isn't easy, it requires drafting and developing well, making good value signings and trades, luck, and knowing when to hold on or cut bait. 

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

It's more about everyone else keeping pace. I only see 5 bad teams. Everyone else has a real shot at the show 

At getting to the playoffs, sure. But doing damage once actually there? I don't buy that narrative. Just because anything can happen doesn't mean it's likely. More often than not the cream rises to the top, and then every once in a while you get teams that surprise a bit and go deep like Dallas and Montreal.