The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Around the NHL | October (09-15) 2022

Rate this topic

57 minutes ago, Darius said:

I get that 4 or 5 years from now Tkachuk will still be relatively young compared to those guys, but until those contracts become anchors 5 years from now it looks like a massive win for Calgary.  They might even win the cup (i have to take a shower now just thinking that).  Throw in the first rounder as a bonus too....just mind numbing that the Flames were in big trouble until Florida threw them that lifeline.  I doubt Kadri signs there if they dont make that deal either.  

i dont think it'll take 4-5 i think they'll be a massive anchor in 2-3 years as that's probably how big their window is. markstrom will be 35 tanev will be 35 kadri will be 35 huberdeau will be 32 coleman will be 33.. if calgary don't win the cup within the next couple years.. u think a team led by a bunch of 35 year old gonna be competitive? we are not talking about 1 or 2.. we are talking about 3 of the main core piece.. they have nothing in the pipeline that can replace them. 

Calgary's defence looks a lot better with Weegar, he ran the show last night. Under-rated but he's basically a top pairing defenceman just blasted into an already-deep defence. I think he'll be the big reason they have success this year - not Huberdeau or Kadri. That is a perfectly well-rounded defence now. Andersson gives them a good shot and passer, Tanev is arguably the best shutdown defenceman in the league still, Hanifin is a pretty good all-around guy, Weegar is great all-around and then they have Zadorov as their 5th guy who is one of the most physical defencemen in the league and Stone who's hardly going to play.

Last year I thought Calgary would go deep in the playoffs with their decent defence and Marky in net, but they suffered and couldn't score goals at the end. Who knows if Kadri and Huberdeau will change that up front but their defence is much more dynamic now with Weegar and Andersson is going to play a lot more offensively this year as well.

Relative to the Canucks, Zadorov would be our top pairing guy with Hughes...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dont think it'll take 4-5 i think they'll be a massive anchor in 2-3 years as that's probably how big their window is. markstrom will be 35 tanev will be 35 kadri will be 35 huberdeau will be 32 coleman will be 33.. if calgary don't win the cup within the next couple years.. u think a team led by a bunch of 35 year old gonna be competitive? we are not talking about 1 or 2.. we are talking about 3 of the main core piece.. they have nothing in the pipeline that can replace them. 

Maybe im over-estimating that their window will be open up to 5 years but i think you are under estimating it by thinking they only have a couple years.  4 years puts Huber at 32, its not like he will fall off a cliff   All their d men outside of Tanev, including Weegar, will all be 32 or younger in 4 years.  Even if Tanev does nothing thats still a deeper defence than the vast majority of teams.  Markstrom will be older but they have Wolf in their system and they are really high on him . And its not unusual for a 34-35 year old goalie to be at least above average...especially if he gets to play behind that defence.

The players they obtained in the Florida trade arent good players, they are excellent impact players, and as a bonus they got a first round pick. that trade saved that franchise for the next few years and made them legit contenders. they can even trade some of the older support players in the next couple years for replacements.

sure, 5 years from now , if they dont win a cup those contracts will look like anchors...and as someone who hates that team more than most people do thats what I hope happens!  

10 hours ago, Darius said:

Can we give Florida's GM the award for idiot of the decade (from a rival fans perspective)  He basically handed the Flames a top pair D man and one of the leagues best wingers and a first rounder for Matt Tkachuk.  Benning should get honourable mention for letting Marky and Tanev walk to their front door...but i guess im just looking to blame benning lol.

I mean… in all fairness the cap was projected to rise to 84-88mil that season. Then COVID hit and flattened the cap. Kinda had no other choice but to let Marky, Toffoli and Tanev walk. Woulda made the trickle down effect of Hughes, Petey, Boeser, Miller’s deals all much more stressful as well as Bo’s potential upcoming deal. Who knows, might not have been able to sign Mikheyev and attract Kuzmenko. Its not like we let Gaudreau or Tavares walk to UFA and get absolutely nothing for guys of that caliber.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I mean… in all fairness the cap was projected to rise to 84-88mil that season. Then COVID hit and flattened the cap. Kinda had no other choice but to let Marky, Toffoli and Tanev walk. Woulda made the trickle down effect of Hughes, Petey, Boeser, Miller’s deals all much more stressful as well as Bo’s potential upcoming deal. Who knows, might not have been able to sign Mikheyev and attract Kuzmenko. Its not like we let Gaudreau or Tavares walk to UFA and get absolutely nothing for guys of that caliber.

I know its a little unreasonable to blame benning for this, and the comment was made more tongue and cheek, but I do think some arguments can be made about his management of the roster when it came to these players.  Ill give benning the benefit of doubt that his view was skewed by the bubble playoff year and he kept those guys to make a run.  but in the big picture some of those guys should have been unloaded at trade deadlines earlier in their careers for some kind of return. Good managers seem to find a way capitalize on players like this - we are talking about a top tier shutdown d man and a vezina calibre goalie ...all gone for a puff of smoke.

• Cheers 1