The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blues trade Klim Kostin to Oilers for Dmitri Samorukov

Good deal for both sides.

With Scandella out, Blues need a LHD to help Krug and Mikkola, matches Berube's desire for bruting dman on the backend.. Oilers need more quality forward depth and Kostin needs a change of scenary, can provide some physicality and skill up front for them.

Like this deal for both teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Oilers weakness is on defense. Trades defense for forward. Typical Oilers.

To be fair their weakness is everywhere but in their top 2 center spots. Adding a 24 year old 6'3 215 pound winger that isn't afraid to chuck his body around isn't too bad of a trade. Neither player look like world beaters. Kostin has slightly higher upside. Both have size that teams will keep giving them chances until they are 28-30. But I dunno just how good either player truly is, at the very least Kostin looks NHL caliber now. But not much more than a bottom 6 guy. Samorukov might never be an NHL regular.

On 10/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, BureBurrito said:

Good trade = Kostin has huge upside

the test is to see if they can produce with McDavid. If a player can't even produce having McDavid on their line, then they're not any good LOL 

Waive them or bury them in the minors. 

Or he's a bottom six forward. 

Kostin is still really young. He's got time before he's considered a depth piece league wide (aka journeyman). 

23 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Had huge upside.

Now just has okay upside.

I haven't followed Kostin closely in his development. I'm guessing he hasn't developed as well as maybe St. Louis had hoped, so became expendable.

On 10/9/2022 at 11:07 AM, BureBurrito said:

Good trade = Kostin has huge upside

Oilers wold have been better trying to retain some defensive depth. Kostin has a few red flags, most draft ouitlets had him top 15 his draft year but he dropped to 31, partially the Russian factor may have been in play but scouts also look to other character and consistency issues.

Kostin was a first round pick who hasn't done much to become established in the NHL or even the AHL in 5 years so I would question if there is much upside with him.

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1