The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A deal with an enemy [PROPOSAL]

Calgary had made it announced that they wanted a top 9 player , yet Milano failed to fill those role.

However, they got a pretty stacked DMAN group that bides our attention.

We have talents in our top 9 that warrant Hoglander a spot in the AHL if everyone is healthy. With Hoglander waiting for a chance and Karlsson surprising us in the preseason.

Should we make a trade with an enemy?

---

Canucks Acquire: Rasmus Andersson who can step into the Canucks Top 4 at a good cost, can help on the PK and most importantly help on the Right Side.

Flames Acquire:  Connor Garland and a 2nd round pick in the 2023 draft.

---

Is this an overpay or underpay? Let me know - open to opinions :)

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Calgary had made it announced that they wanted a top 9 player , yet Milano failed to fill those role.

We have talents in our top 9 that warrant Hoglander a spot in the AHL if everyone is healthy. With Hoglander waiting for a chance and Karlsson surprising us in the preseason.

---

Canucks Acquire: Rasmus Andersson who can step into the Canucks Top 4 at a good cost, can help on the PK and most importantly help on the Right Side.

---

Calgary won't trade Rasmus Anderson 25 #2 D man  on there team.-- Never. He is very very good he would be #2 IN Vancouver ..

Calgary have picks and depth to find a top 9 forward without trading  Anderson RD man..

Never happens RD man like Anderson are super hard to find... 

Horvat 27 -- 3rd rounder Calgary

Rasmus Andreson 25 RD

Might cost more to get Anderson-- This guy is very very good.. RD only 25 yrs old offensive solid D man

2 hours ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

---

---

For Garland lol....pack your bags Connor.

• There it is 1

15 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It'd be funny because he was drafted with the pick we traded for Sven Baertschi 

Goes to show that sometimes you should hold on to your own picks to draft and develop your own players 

Then again we don't know if we would've picked him... hindsight 20/20 and all. 
He was the 53rd pick overall (2nd round); Jett Woo was 37th overall (6th pick in 2nd round) yet he's still finding his form, so just because it's an early pick doesn't necessarily mean that it'll pan out either (plus our forward ranks at the time were so empty that we needed Sven next to Bo).

Edited by Phil_314

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Then again we don't know if we would've picked him... hindsight 20/20 and all. 
He was the 53rd pick overall (2nd round); Jett Woo was 37th overall (6th pick in 2nd round) yet he's still finding his form, so just because it's an early pick doesn't necessarily mean that it'll pan out either (plus our forward ranks at the time were so empty that we needed Sven next to Bo).

It doesn't, but that wasn't my point either. If you don't keep your picks and use them yourselves you sacrifice the chance to find a gem. Context or no context this remains true at the end of the day. 

Sometimes trading picks works in your favour, it happens. Worked out with Miller. But I remain critical of our having been so cavalier with moving out picks the last ten years all the same and view it as a problem. 

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It doesn't, but that wasn't my point either. If you don't keep your picks and use them yourselves you sacrifice the chance to find a gem. Context or no context this remains true at the end of the day. 

Sometimes trading picks works in your favour, it happens. Worked out with Miller. But I remain critical of our having been so cavalier with moving out picks the last ten years all the same and view it as a problem. 

Agreed with both bolded parts for sure, and was stating my thoughts as a response to the single context of this one trade that didn't pan out as it was the only example (since some folks do just use one trade to confirm their bias, but clearly that's not you).  Thanks for the well thought out reply and happy Canadian thanksgiving!  

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed with both bolded parts for sure, and was stating my thoughts as a response to the single context of this one trade that didn't pan out as it was the only example (since some folks do just use one trade to confirm their bias, but clearly that's not you).  Thanks for the well thought out reply and happy Canadian thanksgiving!  

Nahhh, it just so happens that he's the end result of a pick we traded and we could very much use a player like him right now. It's funny how things work out sometimes. 

And likewise, if you're in Canada that is.. :P 

If you go back to the year Andersson was drafted.  He was in line for vancouver with the 2nd round pick we traded to Calgary that year for Bear Cheese.

The draft thread for months I was VERY vocal about drafting this kid.  BIg.  Mobile.  RHD.

It would be an absolutely bitter pill to swallow if we did it this way

• Upvote 1

I think that is the type of deal that both teams would love and hate.

which was like the Murzyn for Stern trade.  

Garland with Kadri… say hello to the new Frick and Frack or Kessler Burrows potential in their prime.

Rasmus… the second rounder that still haunts my dreams… ‘Not that one…no don’t trade that second… Nooooo!” 

would end that nagging pain that Rasmus Anderson was drafted with a second JB traded away. 

and… massive fix to our right side.

And the flames get future pain to inflict with yet again a second rounder… lol

On 10/9/2022 at 8:03 PM, Coconuts said:

It'd be funny because he was drafted with the pick we traded for Sven Baertschi 

Goes to show that sometimes you should hold on to your own picks to draft and develop your own players 

Bang on 100%, unfortunately Canucks are past that point and committed to JT long term. Maybe moving Bo would net the Canucks a decent D man if he agrees to an extention with the acquiring team.

Canucks will have to pony up to fix the D, might as well do it now and not wait...ever player gets older, need to somehow fix the problem sooner rather than later. Not much for us to offer up though, team made a huge mistake keeping Benning for far too long and seeing him screw up far more than he did good in his tenure in Vancouver

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Bang on 100%, unfortunately Canucks are past that point and committed to JT long term. Maybe moving Bo would net the Canucks a decent D man if he agrees to an extention with the acquiring team.

Canucks will have to pony up to fix the D, might as well do it now and not wait...ever player gets older, need to somehow fix the problem sooner rather than later. Not much for us to offer up though, team made a huge mistake keeping Benning for far too long and seeing him screw up far more than he did good in his tenure in Vancouver

I'm skeptical as to whether this current core group will do anything tbh. Horvat, Miller, Boeser, ect. I feel that down the line we'll look back in retrospect and the job done by the Benning management group will have done too much damage for the current group to do anything meaningful. I don't see us contending for at least four years, I've been bullish on that for a while. That takes Horvat to his early 30's (assuming he's still here), Boeser to his late 20's (assuming he's still here) and Miller to his mid 30's (at which point I question whether he'll be worth his salary). 

We don't have much in the system, the Benning group moved out too many picks and wasn't able to get many players out of their picks. Beyond the top guys we haven't really seen any players come to fruition. We haven't been able to effectively draft and develop our own D outside of Hughes and now we're in a position where we'll likely have to pay a premium via UFA or trade to adjust that area of weakness. I question what our window actually is, this roster is likely going to need some surgery to address our defense and it won't be cheap.

As of right now we've got a roster that's probably good enough to compete for a wildcard spot imo, but we're too good to draft top 10 and we're probably not good enough to go deep. We may have been better off moving Miller and Boeser and taking a step back to adjust areas of weakness in hopes that the young core of Pettersson, Hughes, and Podz could make noise down the line. Too late now. 

We'll never trade within the division but Andersson is basically a top pairing all-around defenceman who'll probably hit 50 points this year while playing solid defence as well. Forward-equivalent would be a top-line 30 goal scoring winger or decent top-2 center. That would probably mean Boeser or Horvat straight up.

I'd do Boeser for Andersson value-wise, but team-wise I wouldn't trade with Calgary.