The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Darnell Nurse Fined for Interference Check on Kyle Burroughs

Rate this topic

-AJ-

I disagree with pretty much all of you in terms of the Edmonton game.  Schenn laid out the two biggest hits in the game, and there was one other hit that drew a lot of boos from Edmonton that they never showed a replay of.  

Nurse threw that late hit, but it wasn't high or predatory.  Kane high-sticked Hughes, but that was an accident.  I really don't know why you guys are complaining.  Joshua purposely/on accident made sure to make contact with their goalie with some pretty good speed.  Campbell braced himself and was ready for it, but in general you never wanna make contact with the other goalie.  That reminds me that Kane got a penalty for running into Demko, but it was an extremely slow moving play.  

I don't know, I had no issues with our physical play. Burroughs and Stillman were running around and looking to hit McDavid whenever they could.  

7 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

So cringe when Anthony said that. No Anthony it was a chickens*** play. 

you can hate the messenger all you want, but Stewie is right, 

Nurse proved to his teammates that they could take advantage of a soft team, and that is what won them the game

ergo it was a good penalty to take, it turned the game around

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

Nurse proved to his teammates that they could take advantage of a soft team, and that is what won them the game

Disagree and it was coward s***

• Cheers 1

Hate him as much as you want, he's exactly what the Canucks are missing - a big, strong, mean defenceman who can log 25+ minutes and who is probably going to drop 60 points this year. Look at his stat line in the game against us - we have arguably never had a defenceman like him. If they groom him properly and he plays better defence this year, he's the sort of elite number 1 defenceman you win cups with. The last few years he's been a bit crap defensively but if he polishes that part of his game he's got Hedman-potential.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Hate him as much as you want, he's exactly what the Canucks are missing - a big, strong, mean defenceman who can log 25+ minutes and who is probably going to drop 60 points this year. Look at his stat line in the game against us - we have arguably never had a defenceman like him. If they groom him properly and he plays better defence this year, he's the sort of elite number 1 defenceman you win cups with. The last few years he's been a bit crap defensively but if he polishes that part of his game he's got Hedman-potential.

Agreed. Canucks don't have a guy even able to get a fine. They play like nice boys.

I can't stand Nurse either, but he's big, physical and produces. What the Canucks need. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

His character issues make it a non starter.  Absolutely gutless and a complete disgrace to the sport.  He's shown no sign of being willing to play like a man.  He'd need to cut out the diving and cheapshots to have a place on a respectable team.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, Fanuck said:

Here's my rant:

Fines should be a meaningful % of player salary otherwise it's a joke and absolutely ZERO deterrent for future infractions.

Accumulations of fines should result in automatic suspensions regardless if the infraction already had a suspension connected to it or not.

If the NHL/NHLPA truly believed in player safety they would agree to the aforementioned changes to the 'CBA' instead of protecting player's salaries over and above actual safety. 

Rant over. 

Was thinking the same thing.

If they don't want these to be meaningful then just do away with them.

Hopefully it at least counts as a prior offense if something suspension worthy comes along then the player is recognized as a repeat offender but I wouldn;t hold my breath for the NHL to do something smart like that.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Being too chickens*** to hit someone on a team supposedly full of cowards without resorting to a cheap shot is not a flex. 

what do you mean, it worked

I am going to stop now.

Lets just agree to disagree

there are 1000 worse hits every year

its the kind of hit that wouldn't have even knocked Bobby Baun off his skates, so lets just drop it

I liked Bobby Clark and Brian Trottier and I don't like the Oilers

not because of hits like that, but because they are whiney

I don't like whiney

cheers

Edited by lmm

12 hours ago, King Heffy said:

His character issues make it a non starter.  Absolutely gutless and a complete disgrace to the sport.  He's shown no sign of being willing to play like a man.  He'd need to cut out the diving and cheapshots to have a place on a respectable team.

Agreed, and I hate that too, but look at the defencemen who have won Cups. Duncan Keith's won a couple playing a similar dirty way. Doughty has done some pretty questionable stuff on the ice in the past. As respectable as Chara is, he's thrown some dirty hits in his past too.

That's sadly what makes them winners in the playoffs - they play on and well over the line physically. The league doesn't crack down on it enough so if you push the envelope, you're probably just going to grind the other team down with cheap shots. Boston did it to us, it was never policed, and a decade later it hasn't really cracked down at all.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, and I hate that too, but look at the defencemen who have won Cups. Duncan Keith's won a couple playing a similar dirty way. Doughty has done some pretty questionable stuff on the ice in the past. As respectable as Chara is, he's thrown some dirty hits in his past too.

That's sadly what makes them winners in the playoffs - they play on and well over the line physically. The league doesn't crack down on it enough so if you push the envelope, you're probably just going to grind the other team down with cheap shots. Boston did it to us, it was never policed, and a decade later it hasn't really cracked down at all

I still don't think Chara was respectable either with his constant flopping.  I like toughness, but I want no part of a guy who is a complete disgrace to the sport.

On 10/13/2022 at 10:48 PM, lmm said:

No, that did not turn the game around... we scored on the PP after. The play that turned the game around was the missed high stick on Hughes, allowing Edmonton to score.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

No, that did not turn the game around... we scored on the PP after. The play that turned the game around was the missed high stick on Hughes, allowing Edmonton to score.

I'll agree with that

its kind of chicken and egg

either way they gooned us up, and we fell asleep

its a problem as old as Markus Naslund

that is the way to get to the Canucks

You can blame Edmonton or Nurse or Kane or McD or DoPES or Kelly Sutherland, you can blame this play or that play, it does not really matter, the bottom line is the Canucks are a house of card built on a bed of puffed rice. 

They fold,

its what they do, its what they have done for 25 years

it doesn't matter if its Edmonton or Boston

Crow, AV, Wonkie, Greener or Bruce There it Is

Naslund, Hank or Bo

Nonis, Gillis, Ol Jimbo or New Jimbo

Cloutier, BobDongo Schnieds, MarkieMarkturdler or Demko

Our old pal Tommy Larschied said it many a time, "This team is fragile right now" 

10 hours ago, Nooks said:

The Oilers made a huge statement by saying in game 1 they’re going to take liberties with the Canucks.  Imagine if we end up in a playoff series with them?  When the games matter…

Just keep taking runs at McDiver.  Everyone knows that gutless flopper can't handle the rough stuff.

On 10/13/2022 at 3:08 PM, Fanuck said:

Here's my rant:

Fines should be a meaningful % of player salary otherwise it's a joke and absolutely ZERO deterrent for future infractions.

Accumulations of fines should result in automatic suspensions regardless if the infraction already had a suspension connected to it or not.

If the NHL/NHLPA truly believed in player safety they would agree to the aforementioned changes to the 'CBA' instead of protecting player's salaries over and above actual safety. 

Rant over. 

Yeah,$5K is only 0.5% of league minimum. For a guy like Nurse, he doesn't care about paying that. 0.5% of his cap hit is a little over $40K. It might affect him in a sentencing review for something else, but it really needs to be a little more.