The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Telus fibre modem issues

fecklund

Does anyone else have an issue with their router overheating, even when not "under load" ?

model T3200M 

If the ambient temp in the room hits 20*C, the modem will overheat and shut down within minutes. 
The only thing that keeps this thing alive is an oscillating fan set to low, blowing on it 24/7.
I did try another (brand new) modem, the big white Telus Wifi hub, and the same thing happened.

No, that's definitely not normal.

If it keeps up, i'm sure it will outright quit on you, Call up Telus and have them ship you another modem (You shouldn't have to wait for a tech).

They will just tell you to box up the old equipment with your account number, tell Canada Post it's Telus equipment (you don't pay for shipping).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

If it keeps up, i'm sure it will outright quit on you, Call up Telus and have them ship you another modem (You shouldn't have to wait for a tech).

They will just tell you to box up the old equipment with your account number, tell Canada Post it's Telus equipment (you don't pay for shipping).

Thanks. It's odd though that this happened with 2 different pieces of brand new equipment?
Any ideas there?
I have no issue with calling Telus, but not being able to figure out the "why" bugs the heck out of me. 

14 hours ago, fecklund said:

Thanks. It's odd though that this happened with 2 different pieces of brand new equipment?
Any ideas there?
I have no issue with calling Telus, but not being able to figure out the "why" bugs the heck out of me. 

I used to be a tech for telus and these things are mass produced, every central office has pallets of modems, set top boxes, etc waiting to go out and be installed. Sometimes, like any electronic, small parts in small areas creating heat can cause issues or failure. Just like vehicles, sometimes you get a lemon in the bunch. It was nothing you did or anything you could have managed, only advise would just make sure to have one on the way before that one decides to not wanna work at all. Hope that helps.

If you ask Telus for a replacement, they’ll likely send one with a return slip for the current one.

in all honesty, I’ve been playing games with tech and heat as I have a small enclosure that houses modem, router and cable box. The modem and the cable box can both easily reach 90-95 degrees internally during operation. Ventilation and two tiny inline usb fans have solved all my problems.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

I just switched to Shaw (having been with Telus for DECADES) & they still wanted me to box up their now ancient equipment back. No big deal as I had an old empty suitable box to ship back the stuff to them in.  

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I would second this.

I deal with Telus at work, and Shaw at home. Shaw residential service is far superior to Telus business service. That says everything.

Couple years ago we had a death in the family and our modem died the exact same day. We called Shaw and told them we needed a new modem asap, but they insisted on sending a technician to make sure our modem was actually dead. The earliest he could come was 5 days later, when he got here he asked if I knew my modem was dead. I was already super frustrated that they wouldn't just send us a replacement modem they didn't believe me. 

So not only were we dealing with grieving we were also being treated like idiots by Shaw. 

Then to make matters worse they wouldn't  even take the busted modem out of our place. 

Also their internet drops a lot and I live in the middle of Vancouver. 

I guess they were kind of right about us being idiots because we never switched after such terrible service.  

Moral of the story all Canadian telecoms are overpriced and terrible so pick your poison. 

Edited by DS4quality

21 hours ago, 250Integra said:

From my experience, stay away from Telus. Shaw is way better.

Both have their issues imho.  Both suck as to customer loyalty (again, my opinion).  They treat "new" customers better (eg., rates charged, etc.,).  Best to then just play each other off & move to whoever gives you the better deal at the time.  Loyalty is a two-way street.  If they give it, you give it.  If they don't?  See yeah.