The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruce Boudreau's Major Flaw as a Coach

Rate this topic

MikeyD

Bruce Boudreau's coaching record is ...

599W - 320L - 126OTL

Bruce is also a Jack Adams winner. 

Bruce is a winner. Just look at his impact on this team last season. He turned us around and got us winning, and nearly into the playoffs. It was a special season in which Bruce deserved more recognition.

What Bruce did last season is nothing short of amazing given the never-ending woes of this franchise. Bruce actually did the impossible last year when no one said he'd even come close to the playoffs. He should have been much higher in Jack Adams votes. 

It was the fact that Bruce brought consistency in his belief and trust in using his stars, plus his open thinking, and ability to consistently keep the game simple that lead to success. He came in and played Petey a lot when Green was reducing his minutes. 

There was far more of a consistency in effort after Bruce arrived. 

He knew we COULD rely on Demko if we can improve our game in other areas. He knows how to get players believing in themselves. 

Look at Hoglander's play this season so far as compared to being in the doghouse last year. He's a completely different player who's giving far more effort and playing hungry. Bruce's scratches and message to him worked. 

Of course Burroughs is getting rewarded. Look at his play. He's been great and Bruce knows he's reliable. 

If the players aren't playing to their potential, it's on them to own it and find the solution. It's most certainly Bruce's job to hold them accountable and scratch someone to send them and the team a message. We have no idea why anyone gets scratched. It could very well be for personal reasons. Players are human, have lives, things come up that don't go public.

We are losers. We need a winner like Bruce at the helm. He's earned the benefit of the doubt here.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • There it is 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Bruce Boudreau's coaching record is ...

599W - 320L - 126OTL

Bruce is also a Jack Adams winner. 

Bruce is a winner. Just look at his impact on this team last season. He turned us around and got us winning, and nearly into the playoffs. It was a special season in which Bruce deserved more recognition.

What Bruce did last season is nothing short of amazing given the never-ending woes of this franchise. Bruce actually did the impossible last year when no one said he'd even come close to the playoffs. He should have been much higher in Jack Adams votes. 

It was the fact that Bruce brought consistency in his belief and trust in using his stars, plus his open thinking, and ability to consistently keep the game simple that lead to success. He came in and played Petey a lot when Green was reducing his minutes. 

There was far more of a consistency in effort after Bruce arrived. 

He knew we COULD rely on Demko if we can improve our game in other areas. He knows how to get players believing in themselves. 

Look at Hoglander's play this season so far as compared to bring in the doghouse last year. He's a completely different player who's giving far more effort and playing hungry. Bruce's scratches and message to him worked. 

Of course Burroughs is getting rewarded. Look at his play. He's been great and Bruce knows he's reliable. 

If the players aren't playing to their potential, it's on them to own it and find the solution. It's most certainly Bruce's job to hold them accountable and scratch someone to send them and the team a message. We have no idea why anyone gets scratched. It could very well be for personal reasons. Players are human, have lives, things come up that don't go public.

We are losers. We need a winner like Bruce at the helm. He's earned the benefit of the doubt here.

I agree but he has stated the reasons why he scratched Garland and Burroughs. Garland because he felt he wasn't playing up to his potential and Burroughs because he preferred the lefty/righty combo on defense (still doesn't explain why others were chosen over him).

Aside from that, I completely agree with your post. 

45 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

It's madness talking about firing a coach after 4 games.  It's an act of desperation by using Boudreau as the

scapegoat. The team has struggled to find their mojo: while dealing with some players playing with injuries;

some players still trying to get in game shape; several new players getting used to their new team; and last,

but not lease; a defence that only has 2 (and sometimes Myers) top 4 dmen (and one could arguably say top 5d).

So there's a lot of adjusting going on.  I say stay the course and give it 10-12 more games.  Of course, if a good

trade comes along that can correct the (huge elephant in the room) RD situation, then go for it.

We all know that Boudreau is not part of the management's future plans.  I fully expect him to be replaced by

(their boy) Mike Yeo next season (or maybe earlier if the team doesn't pull their heads out of the ground).

I don’t know anything about yeo. I had just read an artical about all his coaching positions it looks like most teams have hired him into “ hired gun “ position. Hired in the asst. capacity only to replace the current coach in an interim basis  the one artical stated  whilst he was at the reins of St. Louis there was problem in their  dressing room. Not having coached a full season there, he  was then replaced by berube and the internal problems went away. So I immediately thought maybe he’s  already spread he’s toxicity here? And if there’s any truth to it. It couldn’t have made BB feel to secure. 

Edited by chon derry

29 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I don’t know anything about yeo. I had just read an artical about all his coaching positions it looks like most teams have hired him into “ hired gun “ position. Hired in the asst. capacity only to replace the current coach in an interim basis  the one artical stated  whilst he was at the reins of St. Louis there was problem in their  dressing room. Not having coached a full season there, he  was then replaced by berube and the internal problems went away. So I immediately thought maybe he’s  already spread he’s toxicity here? And if there’s any truth to it. It couldn’t have made BB feel to secure. 

Also Minny had major issues when he was theur head coach back in the day. Don't recall the Blues but I'm also ignorant to that. I remember the Wild having lots of bag skates and he ended up going irate on them.

https://youtu.be/LRbHF7l9W0E

• There it is 1

There's a middle ground between this and Green gifting unearned icetime to guys who had no business playing a single shift at the NHL level.  Both extremes make it really hard to hold guys accountable.  Miller needs to be scratched and advised that if he continues to float, he will be suspended without pay.

Edited by King Heffy

30 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I agree but he has stated the reasons why he scratched Garland and Burroughs. Garland because he felt he wasn't playing up to his potential and Burroughs because he preferred the lefty/righty combo on defense (still doesn't explain why others were chosen over him).

Aside from that, I completely agree with your post. 

So Bruce scratches Garland, plays Burroughs how he sees fit. Sounds like he's doing his job to me.

If Garland gets scratched, I trust Bruce in that decision. He's earned that trust.b Obviously we're not privy to their dynamic so I trust Bruce in that decision. I don't immediately jump to alarm, second guess, and pounce on him. Bruce has been one of the best coaches in the game.

Garland's a pro, he gets it. He may not like it but he gets it. Especially if it helps the team. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

So Bruce scratches Garland, plays Burroughs how he sees fit. Sounds like he's doing his job to me.

If Garland gets scratched, I trust Bruce in that decision. He's earned that trust.b Obviously we're not privy to their dynamic so I trust Bruce in that decision. I don't immediately jump to alarm, second guess, and pounce on him. Bruce has been one of the best coaches in the game.

Garland's a pro, he gets it. He may not like it but he gets it. Especially if it helps the team. 

It didn't. Scratching Garland was a pretty big shot, and it missed. Bag skating the team this early in the season was another shot that missed. Not everything you try as a coach works, but these misses are pilling up mighty quick this season.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

It didn't. Scratching Garland was a pretty big shot, and it missed. Bag skating the team this early in the season was another shot that missed. Not everything you try as a coach works, but these misses are pilling up mighty quick this season.

Not saying everything works. Garland's a big boy, he can handle it. Bruce isn't perfect but I trust his decision-making. 

Firing Green was warranted and long overdue. Firing Bruce is not the answer. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's madness talking about firing a coach after 4 games.  It's an act of desperation by using Boudreau as the

scapegoat. The team has struggled to find their mojo: while dealing with some players playing with injuries;

some players still trying to get in game shape; several new players getting used to their new team; and last,

but not lease; a defence that only has 2 (and sometimes Myers) top 4 dmen (and one could arguably say top 5d).

So there's a lot of adjusting going on.  I say stay the course and give it 10-12 more games.  Of course, if a good

trade comes along that can correct the (huge elephant in the room) RD situation, then go for it.

We all know that Boudreau is not part of the management's future plans.  I fully expect him to be replaced by

(their boy) Mike Yeo next season (or maybe earlier if the team doesn't pull their heads out of the ground).

I agree. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Not saying everything works. Garland's a big boy, he can handle it. Bruce isn't perfect but I trust his decision-making. 

Firing Green was warranted and long overdue. Firing Bruce is not the answer. 

I like Bruce, but I also don't think he has earned the right to not be criticized when his shots miss. Personally, I think he's a stop gap, I don't think he's the coach to take this team to the next level.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

I like Bruce, but I also don't think he has earned the right to not be criticized when his shots miss. Personally, I think he's a stop gap, I don't think he's the coach to take this team to the next level.

I never said he's beyond criticism. He's not. After last season, I trust Bruce. He more than earned my trust rather than alarmist derision, scapegoating.

He's a winner and we need more of that. We could go back to hiring the Wille Ds and Travis Greens of the hockey world. 

Find me a coach who doesn't rely on his "superstars".

The expectation to out-produce your teammates and play the most minutes comes with the territory of being a "superstar".

All coaches rely on their superstars. That's not unique to BB, or an indictment of his coaching. It's just the way she goes.

If BB was giving ice time to bottom 6 plugs, like Green did, we'd all be losing our minds even worse. So.. yeah.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I don't believe he is a scapegoat. I think the players are responsible first and foremost. If the players performed well he looks like a genius. It's just something that isn't aiding the team, that's all. Like I stated in the post, when the big boys are rolling, this team is very difficult to beat but we are a team of Jekyll and Hyde because we rely on our big forwards to be point producers. We don't attack the fundamentals of playing hard and making the other team work. That rests on the players. But messages can be sent by staff to encourage such behaviour. Plays like JT giving up on plays or players not backchecking because they don't care should be zero tolerance.

I couldn't even get away with that in Div 1 sports, let alone at a professional level lol.

And now that I'm older, I've played on less competitive teams and I see what good teams who can make it to nationals do vs bad teams who can hardly win I realize just how important a good coach is towards establishing proper attitudes towards the game and how having accountability is absolutely hugeeeeee in sports.

It's honestly one of the most underrated aspects in team sports. 

Edit: typo

I wasn't referring to your post, Mikey.  I agree with much of what you have said; especially the part that I highlighted.

I was responding to the fans that think that firing a coach after 4 games will have a significant affect on the team.

I guess we'll see what management's 'fix' will be. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I never said he's beyond criticism. He's not. After last season, I trust Bruce. He more than earned my trust rather than alarmist derision, scapegoating.

He's a winner and we need more of that. We could go back to hiring the Wille Ds and Travis Greens of the hockey world. 

I'm 100% aboard the Trotz train.

i honestly don't blame Bruce too much.. i blame the assistant coaches more.. and i'm going to guess bruce never had the chance to bring in his own people for assistant.. if he was allowed free reigns behind the bench.. i'm sure none of the current assistant coaches on the team would be there. 

• Vintage 1