The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruce Boudreau's Major Flaw as a Coach

Rate this topic

MikeyD

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

It's madness talking about firing a coach after 4 games.  It's an act of desperation by using Boudreau as the

scapegoat. The team has struggled to find their mojo: while dealing with some players playing with injuries;

some players still trying to get in game shape; several new players getting used to their new team; and last,

but not lease; a defence that only has 2 (and sometimes Myers) top 4 dmen (and one could arguably say top 5d).

So there's a lot of adjusting going on.  I say stay the course and give it 10-12 more games.  Of course, if a good

trade comes along that can correct the (huge elephant in the room) RD situation, then go for it.

We all know that Boudreau is not part of the management's future plans.  I fully expect him to be replaced by

(their boy) Mike Yeo next season (or maybe earlier if the team doesn't pull their heads out of the ground).

Agree about the adjustment. There have been new faces behind the bench and on the ice.

Think about it. We completely revamped our 4th line ... The only line that was consistently good last season. Also, as we know too well, some guys need more runway to adjust to new team, new city, new team mates, line mates. People really forget that there is an adjustment period. Also, some guys are struggling after some time off. 

There's a ripple effect from change. Sometimes it's easier to adapt, sometimes it takes time.

Even with that in mind, it's absolutely essential that we fix this between 10-15 games, max 20. 

4 hours ago, chon derry said:

I don’t know anything about yeo. I had just read an artical about all his coaching positions it looks like most teams have hired him into “ hired gun “ position. Hired in the asst. capacity only to replace the current coach in an interim basis  the one artical stated  whilst he was at the reins of St. Louis there was problem in their  dressing room. Not having coached a full season there, he  was then replaced by berube and the internal problems went away. So I immediately thought maybe he’s  already spread he’s toxicity here? And if there’s any truth to it. It couldn’t have made BB feel to secure. 

I'm not a Yeo fan at all. Trent doesn't do much for me either.

Scott Walker I liked...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, AV. said:

J.T. Messier will never be scratched.  In fact, we should hope he plays out of his mind so we can yeet him as soon as possible and kickstart an actual rebuild.

Ugh, nobody deserves to be scratched more for a game then JT.  

At least take him off PP1 and for the love of god don't put him out there in OT.  

He's far from perfect, dreadful start, but show me a better coach to replace him? No coach is perfect, everyone keeps banging on about Maurice but he's not going to be much better than Bruce.

Truth is that BB hasn't gotten this team ready to play this year and that's partly coaching, partly poor execution but mainly IMO just terrible play by Miller and our special teams. I'm not sure how much input BB has on the PK but the special teams has lost us 4 straight games.

5 on 5 though we've looked like the best team in the league and I think that's more where the head coach is important.

That being said as a head coach you live and die by your assistants and they're not helping Bruce out at all.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's far from perfect, dreadful start, but show me a better coach to replace him? No coach is perfect, everyone keeps banging on about Maurice but he's not going to be much better than Bruce.

Truth is that BB hasn't gotten this team ready to play this year and that's partly coaching, partly poor execution but mainly IMO just terrible play by Miller and our special teams. I'm not sure how much input BB has on the PK but the special teams has lost us 4 straight games.

5 on 5 though we've looked like the best team in the league and I think that's more where the head coach is important.

That being said as a head coach you live and die by your assistants and they're not helping Bruce out at all.

game on face GIF by Capitals

1 hour ago, PuckYa said:

I'm not a Yeo fan at all. Trent doesn't do much for me either.

Scott Walker I liked...

I think these changes have been the biggest impacts so far...the assistants have a big say in how practice runs and the special teams.

As soon as Yeo was hired I was a bit worried and no surprise we've been dreadful ever since he came in - every team he touches turns to crap.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I think scratching your top star would be maybe the most moronic thing you could do. 

That move could really blow up in your face, especially with a emotional player like Miller. Let's not forget the infamous P.Roy Trade.

Bench them for a little bit? Sure! I remember a time when Ovenchicken was benched quite often because his D game was lacking.

Another bit that I found really odd that not only irked me at the time but has contributed to the current negativity surrounding Bruce even before the season and this losing streak began ...

We all saw what Bruce did last season and the massively positive impact he had on the team. What Bruce did last season , going 32-15-10 after Green's atrocious start was nothing short of amazing.

Yet ... as soon as the season ends, we have a President who - rather than celebrate the achievement and throw full support behind the coach - essentially calls Bruce out in public, implying it still wasn't good enough. 

Like WTF!!!!!!!

JR literally handed the media fuel for discontent between management and coach on a silver platter. 

And then management does nothing to fix our defense when everyone knows exactly what the issue is and has been. And then they don't even fight to keep Brad Shaw, one of the best defensive strategists and developers in the league. 

The two - JR and PA - rolled into town preaching and asking for patience, completely oblivious that this fanbase has heard "patience" for nearly 8 years. They didn't even read the room right FFS. 

Yet this is somehow Bruce's fault? BS. At least Bruce came in, executed, and made this team better. 

Also, let's not forget Bruce's offseason/summer calls to the players in an effort to check in and get the players ready. It was the players who said they were ready to go and had unfinished business.

JR was in a way held back from his MO of going def con 1 on the Canucks, because of the Boudreau Bump.  BB was not hired by JR but Aqualini, only days before he hired JR.  Which was a little odd and ripe for dysfunction. (Why not keep one of the assistant coaches to stand in until the new GM found a coach?) But Aquilini once again decided he was the smartest man in the room, and made sure he got his choice of coach before adding a new President/GM.  Which could have been a disaster....but it wasn't.

But it did set up a conundrum for JR.   He may have believed, and it sure sounded like it, that this team, the way it was constructed, was way beyond saving, and needed a major overhaul.   And also believed that BB would eventually have a bad run, because of the bad mix of players, and then would be the moment to pounce, remove him along with certain players, and get in the more systems based, x's and o's coach he thought the team needed more (than a players coach)

But something happened on the way to the TD.   We started winning.  On top of that, BB was not only getting results but was becoming a star in town, with his own theme song.  I believe that JR deep down, always has wanted a coach like Trotz to help implement a disciplined defensive system, but he was forced to at least extend BB to one more season based on the numbers.  We were one of the top teams in the league during the second half.

Which is why I think JR is still waiting for his opportunity to switch out the coach.  And it may be sooner than later if we continue to spiral downwards. 

Personally, I like BB, and want him to succeed here, and don't think he should be let go yet.  He should be given more rope before the hangman enters the scene. I'm not sure a Trotz disciplinarian would even go over well here. At least not immediately. And some players may not be as receptive to that style either.  Its a gamble.  As far as I'm, concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And this losing streak, IMO, can be overcome yet.  Management owes BB more time with a fresh season, beyond a few games in.

• Cheers 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:26 PM, wildwood12 said:

It will be the coach who will be looking for a job in the near future. Not the players.

BB wasn’t looking for a job FA went and begged him. 

you think FA be paying another coach not to be here lol. (His hire)
the players execution has been nothing short of laughable. 
how many coaches does it take to realize it IS the PLAYERS. 
this team needed major changes it got next to none. Get another coach and it’s not fixed then what pay to not coach here to. 
miller been a lazy dog the D was a joke coming in 

this team isn’t good enough regardless of coach especially when half the star players seem content to mail it in nightly. 

If calling these guys mental weak hurt their feelings then This group is even worse than they look on the ice and will win nothing except a participation ribbon so Their moms can put it in the fridge. 

Edited by combover

I don't want to see JT Miller again in OT or on the PK.  

If Bruce has any balls he'll cut JT's ice time down.  It's obvious that he's not there mentally, and it's clear that his conditioning is bad.  

13 hours ago, kilgore said:

JR was in a way held back from his MO of going def con 1 on the Canucks, because of the Boudreau Bump.  BB was not hired by JR but Aqualini, only days before he hired JR.  Which was a little odd and ripe for dysfunction. (Why not keep one of the assistant coaches to stand in until the new GM found a coach?) But Aquilini once again decided he was the smartest man in the room, and made sure he got his choice of coach before adding a new President/GM.  Which could have been a disaster....but it wasn't.

But it did set up a conundrum for JR.   He may have believed, and it sure sounded like it, that this team, the way it was constructed, was way beyond saving, and needed a major overhaul.   And also believed that BB would eventually have a bad run, because of the bad mix of players, and then would be the moment to pounce, remove him along with certain players, and get in the more systems based, x's and o's coach he thought the team needed more (than a players coach)

But something happened on the way to the TD.   We started winning.  On top of that, BB was not only getting results but was becoming a star in town, with his own theme song.  I believe that JR deep down, always has wanted a coach like Trotz to help implement a disciplined defensive system, but he was forced to at least extend BB to one more season based on the numbers.  We were one of the top teams in the league during the second half.

Which is why I think JR is still waiting for his opportunity to switch out the coach.  And it may be sooner than later if we continue to spiral downwards. 

Personally, I like BB, and want him to succeed here, and don't think he should be let go yet.  He should be given more rope before the hangman enters the scene. I'm not sure a Trotz disciplinarian would even go over well here. At least not immediately. And some players may not be as receptive to that style either.  Its a gamble.  As far as I'm, concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  And this losing streak, IMO, can be overcome yet.  Management owes BB more time with a fresh season, beyond a few games in.

The question is, how long does JR wait to blow it all up?

I think for me personally, if we've only got 1 or 2 wins in the first 10 games (maybe 3 or 4 wins in 15?) then the first thing to go is the coach. You simply have to - wait longer than this (like we did last season) and there's no way the season is salvageable. If we made the move for BB last year after 10 games, we'd be in the playoffs last season. We waited far too long. That's the first thing that happens, and we won't be the only team to change coaches. Not BB's fault necessarily, it just has to happen and it's easier.

The next step is, if we're still really sucking around Christmas time, it gets JR to get some things in place for a big old sell and blow-up. We have plenty of good pieces. I'd say we trade them, retain plenty of cap, take some poor contracts back who are going to expire in the next 2-3 years. Petey, Hughes and Demko have to learn how to lose because that's all we should do for 3 years. Get a bunch of 1sts this draft, a couple in the next and a few in the one after that. Petey and Hughes will be 26yrs old, Demko 29. 

Then the winning can start. Probably won't be for another 2 years before we make the playoffs (5 years from now) but then we'll have a real force of a team with elite, top talent we don't even know yet. Petey and Hughes will be 28 years old, Demko 31, Bo in his early 30s, Podkozln in his mid 20s and in his prime, and throw in a bunch of high-1st stars.

• Upvote 1

On 10/19/2022 at 2:01 PM, wildwood12 said:

Calling his players mentally weak probably didn’t go over too well.

Unfortunately, people can't handle the truth. Boudreau's comments are nowhere near as harsh as what they were back in the day. Somehow people became 'soft'. And no, I am not advocating that we go back to the so-called 'good old days' with rough n tough hockey.