The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday Oct 20/22 Vancouver Canucks (0-3-1) @ Minnesota Wild (0-3) at Xcel Energy Center 5:00pm PT SN360 SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

21 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's such an outdated myth........all that gets you is a penalty and 2 mins on pk.  Bo might not be demonstrative, but he's certainly not soft spoken, he looks dead serious all the time.  Stevie Y barely said a word as captain, yet I think most people would put him as one of the top 10 leaders in the history of the game.

Fair. I don't think he's a bad leader, just that we need more leaders in general. I don't think he can lead this team, playing in this volatile market all on his own.

Being an aggressive, hard to play against, imposing team won't get you a 2 minute penalty. The point I'm trying to make isn't just 'defending your stars'. We lack team toughness in general.

Edited by Maginator
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

When healthy Hogs is the odd man out with this line-up. He must have the worst shooting in the NHL.

he's also been the hardest working players and one of the few play drivers.  Seems BB doesn't have the gumption to sit the players who actually deserve to sit

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I trust Bruce's decision making.

I'm betting a good chunk of the room is trusting it less and less as they see the hardest working players in the pressbox and the lazy, apathetic players being gifted ice tim

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

I'm betting a good chunk of the room is trusting it less and less as they see the hardest working players in the pressbox and the lazy, apathetic players being gifted ice tim

They're pros. They know if it helps the team win, it's part of the game. After last season, trusting Bruce, who executed and walked the talk, they're not going to turn in him after four games. 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

They're pros. They know if it helps the team win, it's part of the game. After last season, trusting Bruce, who executed and walked the talk, they're not going to turn in him after four games. 

They're still people and they know an injustice when they see it.  It might be nothing now, but no one likes a coach who scapegoats hard workers over lazy players.......pro or not.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

why would they "respond" to a hit?  What's the point?  To take a penalty, put the theam on the pk and likely give up a goal?  Where's the logic in that?  Podz wasn't hurt, had no impact on the rest of his game.

It can change the momentum, give the team more confidence and swagger to play the game THEY WANT. Look what happened when we allowed that little Rat to play his game or how Thomas gained confidence in the SCF. The Edmonton game, this season, we were shutting down McDavid and getting Nurse flustered. Then Burroughs and then Hughes were manhandled and no retribution. The game went downhill after that and momentum was lost.

I think it can hugely affect a game. A team must adapt to any kind of game the opposition throws at them IMO.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Fair enough. No need for the snark though. But Green's also they guy who was going to bench Brock for the wrong reasons.

Im waiting to see if they can actually turn this around by the 1/4 mark. I’ll have a better idea of the team. I just don’t think what we are seeing right now is it 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're still people and they know an injustice when they see it.  It might be nothing now, but no one likes a coach who scapegoats hard workers over lazy players.......pro or not.

It's not an injustice when the team has been record setting bad. That's the injustice right now. So it's not about any one individual. The guys know that. 

Something has to change and guys need to be selfless. 

1 hour ago, EmilyM said:

Agree. Joshua has been so underwhelming this season so far. Why do big boys always forget that they're big as soon as they get to Vancouver?

They're overwhelmed by the mountain vistas - makes them feel tiny (conversely, makes the little 'uns (Gnarly, Stech, etc) punch way above their weight

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Doxm said:

The worst part about these random benchings are, if we win - you know whoever is benched is staying there till we lose a game. 

I don't think it's random.   I think it's an indictment by Bruce for Hogz not putting his head down and hustling back on that OT goal (as Bo did)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

JT Miller being insulated with two of the better defensive forwards.  

Can it stop him from being lazy and irresponsible. Hopefully. Sometimes that's the best with these types of players though. Just make the whole team aware he'll be floating around out there. Let him do his thing and insulate him with help from his teammates.