The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would demko get a pass?  Why should we expect less than mvp calibre goaltending from him?  Hes only been a starter for 2 or 3 yrs.  He hasnt earned any right to start cold. 

I wouldn't say he gets a pass, his play has been subpar too. But it's more an indictment on the team that he has to be at MVP-calibre for the team to have a chance at winning.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

didn't we spend 6 months proving how hard that is?

No; PA has used that as an excuse to not actually do the one thing they said was priority #1 in offseason. You don't have to win every trade on paper; sometimes it just needs to happen. We were at that point in August, after no activity in FA; we SHOULD be in desperation mode now. 

I don't care how many people argue with the fact; a Top4 RHD is the missing cog on this team. With it, the other dmen can go back to "their" game and play minutes that are more intune with their abilities. I feel sorry for the group right now. Outside of OEL, they are being asked to play a role and minutes that they are not able to do.

Though I don't support his ridiculous inactives nor rationale, I feel sorry for Bruce. He too is being asked to coach up and get wins out of a group that is just setup not to win. And the worst thing; the energy is being sucked out of the team and him (god he looked awful on the bench last night; like he'd been on a bender!).

One F@#$#ing player PA & JR! It is just unbelievable really....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's pretty clear they were focused on extension, not pursuing trades

and no one showed up with a hockey trade they could say no to.

We've been over and over this. I get it, people are mad and want to re-litigate all the moves. 

I don't care, its just 5 games and I've seen some things they can build from. We'll see where things are at in 2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

No; PA has used that as an excuse to not actually do the one thing they said was priority #1 in offseason. You don't have to win every trade on paper; sometimes it just needs to happen. We were at that point in August, after no activity in FA; we SHOULD be in desperation mode now. 

I don't care how many people argue with the fact; a Top4 RHD is the missing cog on this team. With it, the other dmen can go back to "their" game and play minutes that are more intune with their abilities. I feel sorry for the group right now. Outside of OEL, they are being asked to play a role and minutes that they are not able to do.

Though I don't support his ridiculous inactives nor rationale, I feel sorry for Bruce. He too is being asked to coach up and get wins out of a group that is just setup not to win. And the worst thing; the energy is being sucked out of the team and him (god he looked awful on the bench last night; like he'd been on a bender!).

One F@#$#ing player PA & JR! It is just unbelievable really....

is anyone arguing that we're not missing a top RHD? happens to be the hardest piece to get. 

We have cap opening up next season, it may have to come via UFA next offseason. 

11 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

OK, in an attempt to give JT the benefit of the doubt, that quote might just reflect one athlete’s attempt to use mental gymnastics in order to help get him out their current funk. Trying hard here folks not to pile on too much on an already beleaguered individual.

In the dedicated JT Miller thread I already put forth the theory it could also be a fitness issue with Miller. He does look absolutely dreadful at the end of his shifts. Say what you want about Bo (and some of you sure do) he generally doesn’t sag too much at the end of his shifts. His fitness has never been a question I don’t believe. As the Sedins were big mentors for Bo, not surprising in the least I’d say.

I predict JT is going to bounce back sooner rather than later. 

JT is a great player, but what we are seeing is his MO when things are going bad. We have seen his antics before. He is a leader, but not a true captain nor should be viewed as such.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Why would demko get a pass?  Why should we expect less than mvp calibre goaltending from him?  Hes only been a starter for 2 or 3 yrs.  He hasnt earned any right to start cold. 

He shouldn’t get a pass, but goalies have always been treated a bit like “sacred cows”. Not sure why. Because they are sometime flaky dudes?

But yeah, if Demko was better we’d probably have a couple of wins.

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is anyone arguing that we're not missing a top RHD? happens to be the hardest piece to get. 

We have cap opening up next season, it may have to come via UFA next offseason. 

And we had cap this year that we decided to use poorly; BB's 6.65m would have easily obtained Manson services. Overpay..yes, but required

Just now, BC_Hawk said:

JT is a great player, but what we are seeing is his MO when things are going bad. We have seen his antics before. He is a leader, but not a true captain nor should be viewed as such.

Yup, I’ve gone on until I was blue in the face why JT is not a cinch to be a captain over “boring” Bo Horvat. 

If Bo gets shipped out (big mistake IMO) I’d still not slap the C on Miller.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Demko hasn't looked cold, he just doesn't look superhuman like he did last year. 

Demko covered a lot of warts for the team last season and it's something I think a lot of fans took for granted. Dude played out of his mind last season to give this team a shot at turning things around, and now that he's suddenly not doing that it highlights the team in front of him.

Demko shouldn't have to play top flight hockey ever night for us to simply have a chance at winning, it's not reasonable to suspect and that level isn't sustainable. The guys in front of him should be able to do enough to bring home the win from time to time too, and they aren't bailing him out. 

This isn't to say he doesn't need to be better, most of the team needs to be better. But I wouldn't say he's why we're losing games. Neither was Martin despite that one bad goal. 

4 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I wouldn't say he gets a pass, his play has been subpar too. But it's more an indictment on the team that he has to be at MVP-calibre for the team to have a chance at winning.

Exactly this. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup, I’ve gone on until I was blue in the face why JT is not a cinch to be a captain over “boring” Bo Horvat. 

If Bo gets shipped out (big mistake IMO) I’d still not slap the C on Miller.

In my little world, I would have resigned both and gave BB is 1 yr QO or let him walk. JT is 80-100pt player for you that stacks up offense when played in his role. Bo is a swiss army knife that gets the points too, but can play shutdown roles if asked. they are complimentary pieces, not either or.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Demko hasn't looked cold, he just doesn't look superhuman like he did last year. 

Demko covered a lot of warts for the team last season and it's something I think a lot of fans took for granted. Dude played out of his mind last season to give this team a shot at turning things around, and now that he's suddenly not doing that it highlights the team in front of him.

Demko shouldn't have to play top flight hockey ever night for us to simply have a chance at winning, it's not reasonable to suspect and that level isn't sustainable. The guys in front of him should be able to do enough to bring home the win from time to time too, and they aren't bailing him out. 

This isn't to say he doesn't need to be better, most of the team needs to be better. But I wouldn't say he's why we're losing games. Neither was Martin despite that one bad goal. 

Exactly this. 

yep, and he started slow last year too. Once again, it takes a bit of time to get warmed up. Our issue is that he is getting hammered with grade A scoring chances due to poor defensive positioning. Demko is the least of our issues.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

and taken a step back, which was never in the plan. 

Would it have been a step back though? 

Say all we did was move Miller and one of Boeser/Garland, still got the two Russians etc while using that cap space and assets to add two of Marino/Hague/Chychrun (or similar). Are we REALLY all that far back?

ESPECIALLY from what we've seen so far this year? Hell, we might actually be ahead from what we've got out of Miller so far this year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1