The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think it's time we see Rathbone, and hopefully he can shine. If he has even 50% of Hughes point production, he's an inch taller and 13 pounds heavier.

Maybe then we can trade Hughes and for sure get a great return. I know that sucks. But I'd like a bigger, faster, and smarter defence that can defend.

as unpopular as it would be, that may be the only real way out of this situation.  I think they're going to have to ride out Boeser's contract, but if they could move Miller and Hughes, they'd probably get 5 very good pieces back in return........at least.

I’m not all too worried about JT’s defensive game… its the extra effort that bugs me. The majority of the goals he’s been on for are PPGA. Most of which were scored on his opposite side. So not much he did wrong there. There was the Draisaitl one, but Miller actually knocked a puck out of mid air that was going through the high slot and it ended up down low on Draisaitl’s stick and then in the back of the net. In the PHI game he cost us a goal on the PP, but on the go ahead goal, he was the only guy aware of Konecny, everyone else was flooding up the ice. He had an unfortunate bounce off his stick and right on the doorstep for Konecny. If you watch the replay he skates over to intercept the shot/pass and just gets a really unlucky bounce. He’s been on for 4 goals at 5v5. The other 9 are short handed or PP. One short handed one was his fault, the other was Pettersson with a pretty similar giveaway.

Just now, stawns said:

as unpopular as it would be, that may be the only real way out of this situation.  I think they're going to have to ride out Boeser's contract, but if they could move Miller and Hughes, they'd probably get 5 very good pieces back in return........at least.

I hate it too, but it's sort of a choice between Petey, and Hughes. And I am very reluctant to see a trade of Petey. Bo might get something decent but you need a center to replace him. The Canucks are in a tight spot. I'm hoping they can find the fire within and start playing as a team.

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dumba for boeser. It could happen B)

52 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

In my little world, I would have resigned both and gave BB is 1 yr QO or let him walk. JT is 80-100pt player for you that stacks up offense when played in his role. Bo is a swiss army knife that gets the points too, but can play shutdown roles if asked. they are complimentary pieces, not either or.

I think it is time to end the myth that JTM is a centre. Putting him back to wing and letting him slide in for faceoffs will limit the damage he does defensively and allow more freedom offensively. 
He just isn’t a good enough 200ft player to be a true C in the NHL. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think it is time to end the myth that JTM is a centre. Putting him back to wing and letting him slide in for faceoffs will limit the damage he does defensively and allow more freedom offensively. 
He just isn’t a good enough 200ft player to be a true C in the NHL. 

Move Pettersson to the wing. He’s under 45% most games. Hes sitting at 38% right now.

Is it too optimistic to think that this will be a Cinderella season for the Canucks? Like STL a few years ago, they are in last place, I believe. Only team to not win a game yet, but I can't believe this is how they'll play all season. It must've been a quiet flight home from Minny.

Boeser is coming off hand surgery and missed training camp. He'll get going eventually.

JT Miller is a competitive guy and hates losing, he'll pick it up.

Kuzmenko is still trying to figure things out in his first NHL season

Injuries to the already depleted D has really hurt them, but they could still make a trade to bring in another Dman

It's taking some time, but they're not out of anything yet, still 77 games to play. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

Move Pettersson to the wing. He’s under 45% most games. Hes sitting at 38% right now.

The only thing standing between Peety and super-stardom, seems to be his inefficiency on the dot. 
Where's Manny Malhotra when you need him? 

7 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Dumba for boeser. It could happen B)

What's so good about Dumba? He's not overly big, he's pretty light by NHL standards, and outside of a 50 point season 5 seasons ago he hasn't done anything all that impressive.

He's an RD, sure. But I don't get the appeal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/matt-dumba

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Problem is he is playing centre well, just not doing well on faceoffs where as JTM is the opposite, terrible as a centre but decent on faceoffs. 
‘Grooming EP as our number one centre is best path to success for us. 

25 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think it's time we see Rathbone, and hopefully he can shine. If he has even 50% of Hughes point production, he's an inch taller and 13 pounds heavier.

Maybe then we can trade Hughes and for sure get a great return. I know that sucks. But I'd like a bigger, faster, and smarter defence that can defend.

Rathbone makes this team's defensive play worse, which is what is costing us games. We score goals, we just can't defend leads nor stop the other team. He is not what we need right now. To be honest, I'd rather seee Wolanin (and I am a Rathbone fan!).

As for Hughes, he's arguably our best player. His biggest issue is he is being asked to play a style or minutes he is unable to do; he is NOT Makar. Hughes needs a good stable partner, a good 2nd line, and a capable 3rd pair to shine. IMO he is just missing that partner....

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

What's so good about Dumba? He's not overly big, he's pretty light by NHL standards, and outside of a 50 point season 5 seasons ago he hasn't done anything all that impressive.

He's an RD, sure. But I don't get the appeal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/matt-dumba

What’s so good about Boesser?  He is slow, not overly big and is a pure goal scorer who has never scored thirty goals.  Outside of his rookie season he hasn’t done anything all that impressive. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is it too optimistic to think that this will be a Cinderella season for the Canucks? Like STL a few years ago, they are in last place, I believe. Only team to not win a game yet, but I can't believe this is how they'll play all season. It must've been a quite flight home from Minny.

Boeser is coming off hand surgery and missed training camp. He'll get going eventually.

JT Miller is a competitive guy and hates losing, he'll pick it up.

Kuzmenko is still trying to figure things out in his first NHL season

Injuries to the already depleted D has really hurt them, but they could still make a trade to bring in another Dman

It's taking some time, but they're not out of anything yet, still 77 games to play. 

I'm right there with you.
The problem arises when you get too far behind too early, and we only have to look at last year....

It's easy to say "only a few more wins and we're right back in it!" .... but those points are as hard to get now as they will be later because while you think you're gaining ground while winning a few games - the teams you're trying to catch have to simultaneously be losing as much as you're winning.

It's not a disaster, yet. they have to turn this around pretty quickly though or it will be. 

• Upvote 1

What’s so good about Boesser?  He is slow, not overly big and is a pure goal scorer who has never scored thirty goals.  Outside of his rookie season he hasn’t done anything all that impressive. 

Sure, he's a complimentary top 6 winger but I don't see Dumba as an answer to our problems. We've heard Boeser for Dumba for years and I just don't see why some folks like Dumba so much. Dumba's also a pending UFA, are you interested in giving him a raise on his already 6M? He'll probably get one because of his position if he walks to UFA. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

What’s so good about Boesser, he is slow, not overly big and is a pure goal scorer who has never scored thirty goals.  Outside of his rookie season he hasn’t done anything all that impressive. 

A pure goal scorer who has lost his shot and can't score....

8 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I hate it too, but it's sort of a choice between Petey, and Hughes. And I am very reluctant to see a trade of Petey. Bo might get something decent but you need a center to replace him. The Canucks are in a tight spot. I'm hoping they can find the fire within and start playing as a team.

yup, by not seeing that the emerging core was going to be the dominant group going fwd, they really painted themselves into a tough spot.  I do love Hughes, but Petey has got to be the focal point going forward from here on out.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, fecklund said:

I'm right there with you.
The problem arises when you get too far behind too early, and we only have to look at last year....

It's easy to say "only a few more wins and we're right back in it!" .... but those points are as hard to get now as they will be later because while you think you're gaining ground while winning a few games - the teams you're trying to catch have to simultaneously be losing as much as you're winning.

It's not a disaster, yet. they have to turn this around pretty quickly though or it will be. 

The problem is we are getting goals and offense; our shot totals are higher in every game except CBJ on back to back. It is our team defense that sucks. We are basically edmonton without the high octane PP and 1st line to keep us in games. Our only way to get better, is with our defense, and there is no one not playing that can fix it; it has to come via a trade.