The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

yup, by not seeing that the emerging core was going to be the dominant group going fwd, they really painted themselves into a tough spot.  I do love Hughes, but Petey has got to be the focal point going forward from here on out.  

And Petey will be gone in 2 years if we don't build a contender by then. A bridge contract is not only about money.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is it too optimistic to think that this will be a Cinderella season for the Canucks? Like STL a few years ago, they are in last place, I believe. Only team to not win a game yet, but I can't believe this is how they'll play all season. It must've been a quiet flight home from Minny.

Boeser is coming off hand surgery and missed training camp. He'll get going eventually.

JT Miller is a competitive guy and hates losing, he'll pick it up.

Kuzmenko is still trying to figure things out in his first NHL season

Injuries to the already depleted D has really hurt them, but they could still make a trade to bring in another Dman

It's taking some time, but they're not out of anything yet, still 77 games to play. 

I’m still quite optimistic. Like I’ve said a few times now, goal scoring is not our issue. Closing out games is our issue, something that is easier to correct, than scoring is to create. 

Maybe that quiet plane ride home from Minny is what this team needs? Time to really think and process the mistakes and what they need to do in order to improve. Hit as low of a point as possible, where there is only up from here?

Early struggles often lead to late season success. If we can get these struggles figured out on our own, without forcing trades to try and solve a problem, we’ll find more ways to win and the struggles wont be as long.

I’d rather struggle now than later. Its like Toronto every year, scoring is a cakewalk in the regular season, until a 7 game series and teams make adjustments and shut them down. Gives them very little time to figure out how to win when their top guys are being shut down. Its why they choke every series. Teams adjust and Toronto doesnt know how to else to play.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Dumba has a 10 team no trade. Is Vancouver on that list?

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What's so good about Dumba? He's not overly big, he's pretty light by NHL standards, and outside of a 50 point season 5 seasons ago he hasn't done anything all that impressive.

He's an RD, sure. But I don't get the appeal.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/matt-dumba

Recent rumours. Him being in minny BB hometown kid.  going by everything on this thread he’s expendable ,a little cheaper.  Just pot stirring nomensayin 

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And Petey will be gone in 2 years if we don't build a contender by then. A bridge contract is not only about money.

Petey will be a RFA when this 3 year contract is completed. He'll still be a Canuck. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Petey will be a RFA when this 3 year contract is completed. He'll still be a Canuck. 

Sorry; meant 2 years after 2022/23. Play out his QO and hit the road.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

Not if he's seen enough and wants to leave. He can hold out and force a trade.

This team just bleeds through ELC's like they're 10 years long and not 3.

It feels like yesterday Willy Desjardins told Bo in the dressing room "welcome to the NHL!".... but that was almost TEN years ago. 

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

What’s so good about Boesser?  He is slow, not overly big and is a pure goal scorer who has never scored thirty goals.  Outside of his rookie season he hasn’t done anything all that impressive. 

He’s had 3 very good seasons, 1 rough one with injuries and then last year with the distractions.

He had 23 goals in 56 games.

this team is still very young and they have a lot to learn before they are going to win a cup.

Look how long it took Ovi to learn what it took to win. Same with Stamkos, Landeskog/Mackinnon. These guys were drafted 8+ years before winning their first cup. They went through a rebuild, drafted strong, developed and learned what winning takes. Horvat was drafted in 2013 as well, but our other major pieces…Demko 2014, Boeser, 2015 Pettersson was drafted in 2017, Hughes 2018, Podz 2019 

COL and TBL drafted impact players for nearly a decade before being able to put it all together. They did make some bold moves like Duchene/ROR which helped.

Point is we are still a ridiculously young team. Perhaps Boeser and Garland can be the trade chips that net us a top 4RHD. But for now, we need to figure out the problem as a team and then improve the roster. Dont cover up issues, they’ll only come back to bite you in the a$$

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Judging by his play so far and last year...coupled with a 3 year contract; yes. In reality, he should have been moved at the TDL last year; was contributing nothing for us. Now we have another JB contract that is not tradable unless you attach picks. Let's be honest; he is not unlucky nor just showing rust. He is SUPER slow and his shot is gone. He has been the worst fwd on the ice this year.

It’s weird. The fanbase here both overvalues and undervalues the roster at the same time and to extremes, really.

if you actually think Boeser would require picks to unload him, all due respect maybe take a glance at every other roster in this league and see where he stacks up with his current contract.

yes he’s underperforming, and perhaps he’s also better suited on another roster configuration, but it’s a bit short sighted to think he has such low value elsewhere. 

cap is going up. Teams are still signing mid 20’s players at Boeser stat margins and for similar dollars and term. It’s not just us. In fact, we got a bit of a haircut on both BB6 and JTM’s deals if you use comparables.

look outside of Vancouver and you’ll see similar reference points across the league for players in that demo.

do I wish we only QO’d BB6 on a show me 1 year? Absolutely!!! 
but his contract does not bury this team any way. That needs to be realized.

JTM in 3-4 years on the other hand…

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

I’m still quite optimistic. Like I’ve said a few times now, goal scoring is not our issue. Closing out games is our issue, something that is easier to correct, than scoring is to create. 

Maybe that quiet plane ride home from Minny is what this team needs? Time to really think and process the mistakes and what they need to do in order to improve. Hit as low of a point as possible, where there is only up from here?

Early struggles often lead to late season success. If we can get these struggles figured out on our own, without forcing trades to try and solve a problem, we’ll find more ways to win and the struggles wont be as long.

I’d rather struggle now than later. Its like Toronto every year, scoring is a cakewalk in the regular season, until a 7 game series and teams make adjustments and shut them down. Gives them very little time to figure out how to win when their top guys are being shut down. Its why they choke every series. Teams adjust and Toronto doesnt know how to else to play.

Thinking once they win that first one, it could create a snowball effect. They've looked very mediocre so far, but I think they'll come out flying at home against BUF. Once they win one, they'll want to win more and more. A few new guys on the team too:

Kuzmenko

Mikheyev

Lazar

Joshua

Aman

Stillman

Martin

I still believe they can snap out of this, once they get some cohesion as a team. I'm sure they're sick and tired of losing. 

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Anyone else find this quote from Miller in The Province after last night's game a little disturbing?

"I'm trying to be patient, but I'm not going to change the way I'm playing, away from the puck and in my own end because I don't think I've given up much of anything there." — J.T. Miller

No.

Hes speaking from frustration, and trying to analyze HIS game on top of the teams in those same breathes.

They had to speak to the local press today because they had a couple of players meetings after the previous 2 games.

im sure nobody wants to be speaking to the press on that team right now.

Homestand will help,  last change usually does with the Canucks,  Buffalo is bright looking team.

Ot will be a good game, and the fans need to support our players..   that’s a very big element to helping them get through this right now.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No.

Hes speaking from frustration, and trying to analyze HIS game on top of the teams in those same breathes.

They had to speak to the local press today because they had a couple of players meetings after the previous 2 games.

im sure nobody wants to be speaking to the press on that team right now.

Homestand will help,  last change usually does with the Canucks,  Buffalo is bright looking team.

Ot will be a good game, and the fans need to support our players..   that’s a very big element to helping them get through this right now.

Well, they're putting a huge beer garden outside the rink for tomorrow.
Having 20,000 drunk ass fans in the building is either going to be awesome or a disaster :lol:

Edited by fecklund
  • Haha 1

this team needs a better 3C and a top 4 RD, funny, these are the things we need going into the offseason. 

the teams d personnel is a problem, can't hide that.

Garland + Rathbone + Leterimakki ( we have more wingers than anything in this organization) for a top 4 D man and 3C, dear lord please.

Maybe try DET fro HRONEK and Rasmussen (big local kid), plays 3C for DET.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

And if they dont undertake a serious shakeup, they're not going to be contenders.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

The average age of teams is way overblown.
Yes, we're one of the youngest teams, but the oldest team (Pittsburgh) is only 2 years older, on average.
That's not enough of a difference to make a difference in any meaningful way IMO... the league is trending younger and younger now, and it's not "rare" any longer to see kids jump right into the league and make an impact.

The days of needing "veterans to win" are over. 
You just need the right mix of players, and that can be a total crap shoot more than anything else. 

Are the days of needing veterans to win, over? Seems to me like veteran experience would come in real handy right now, helping close out games. Settle the nerves, stop the snowball effect etc… better PK awareness, taking away passing and shooting lanes, not chasing and getting out of position etc…. Things that are costing us games right now. I mean theres also been quite a few very flukey plays to go in as well, but once they score it seems to really rattle this group and they lose momentum and cant get it back.

Look at Pittsburghs core… they are much older, much more experienced and their attention to details are so much more refined. Boston is another team thats older and always relevant. Youth and experience both have their pros and cons and I dont think you can do win without both. 

just like the story of Gretzky peaking in the Islanders dressing room after losing, seeing the ice packs and a team that was in more pain and exhaustion than they were celebrating and going wild. His locker room was the opposite.

The average age may be “overblown” but the truth is, our core IS one of the youngest and most inexperienced. Which is precisely what I’m referring to when I mention age, our core is extremely young and still has many lessons to learn before they are ready to win 4 best of 7 rounds.

Hard work beats talent any day talent doesnt work hard.

We’ve got a very talented group, they just need to learn how to compete hard every shift, every night.

• Cheers 2