The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Minnesota Wild | Oct. 20, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

21 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, let him go back to coasting and poaching on Petey's wing. This playing like a man thing and trying to learn defence at 30 is ruining his game.

You guys are ridiculous sometimes.  Last year EP was downright awful first 30ish games, falling over himself or if someone came near him - and wasn't Millers C - it was the other way around.   Miller took twice as many faceoffs despite EP having his own line as often as he was on Millers...and the Lotto line was terrible as a unit too.   On that note so was Brock.   EP didn't shake out of it until the last 30 games, and check out the line combos ... you'd be surprised maybe to find Miller and Horvat were the only regular centers on the team....EP wasn't the center on the lines with Miller - other way around.    We have all noted Millers cross ice passes .... at least we should have seen them, he's been doing it from the start.   

I think EP for sure is our most talented forward, but he hasn't put one full season together...Seriously look up the line combos.   Miller was on three of the four most effective line combos...scored at 120 point pace the second half.   If the fanbase can be patient with EP (well a lot sure weren't!!!), for almost half a season .... why can't we show Miller a little patience?    And at least be accurate.   EP Miller Boeser.   EP Miller Garland.   It was never Miller - EP ?!   In fact he's been sheltered by both Miller and Horvat.   Sure he's going to mature and likely break out.   Good grief just a few games ago it was all about Horvat sucking butt.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Ok, sure, but he has completely misanalyzed "HIS game". If JT truly believes that he doesn't need to adjust his game away from the puck and in his own end because "I don't think I've given up much of anything there" then he is delusional, a bigger part of the problem than I thought and it's exactly the wrong message to send to the rest of the team. It's terrible leadership.

Only one player in the league has been on the ice for more goals against than JT. And Miller has only been on for 4 of 15 goals for and 13 of 22 against. Clearly he needs to change his play away from the puck and in his own zone, all while starting 2/3 of his shifts in the offensive zone 

Your reading to much into the question,  and when it was asked,  .. im not going to read to much into his answer because what I stated earlier .

…. but feel free to analyze , make graphs ,  and right paragraphs about it.

I won’t.

im sure there’s some great memes to back up everyone’s logic,  yours, Millers, mine.

If we lose the next 5 ,  then there’s issues.. and I’m sure they’ll be addressed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I think the goal scoring is great. But the PP isn't.

I think 5 on 5 we have been pretty good which is great considering how "awful" our defence is.

I dont think a change in system from 1st to 3rd period is the issue. I think its a mental / pressure thing. Also a self fulfilling prophecy kinda thing now almost like impeding doom is expected when there is 10-5 minutes left.

Our biggest issues are:

1. Our PP, its not scoring at high enough clip and has surrendered shorties

2. Our PK, overall the goals against to PK time is shocking.

3. Demko isn't playing like a god helping cover our mistakes as well.

4. Our team doesn't protect the puck in all three zones. Turnover machines, breaking out, through the neutral zone and when in the offensive zone. Drop passes, high risk passes, or just no look giveaways.

5. JTM is a massive defensive liability And Boeser even though almost a PPG he has been irrelevant offensively to me.

6. Injuries coming out the gate hurt us for sure.

7. Immense Pressure

8. Pearson hasn't been sound defensively and has taken bad penalties at momentum changing moments. His 10 PIM in 5 games is rough. 

9. Hughes hasn't been 100% and is playing way too many minutes.

10. We have had some bad puck luck with hitting posts.

And of course our Defence is an issue but in my option they've been punching up above their capabilities and our forwards haven't been helping.

I agree 10-20 games is when we will have a clear picture on the team and where things are going.

Yep.   Let's at least give them some time before we write the season off.   2/10 points is awful...but also doesn't really show the story either.   Our offense hasn't started to click yet.   Our PP under Bruce was top four league wide, and 2.5% better then the PEAK Sedin's .... almost up to our high water mark in 1983 when goalies were acrobats but not that smart yet lol.   Aside from Hall and Espo, nobody else really used the butterfly.    So let's wait and see.   Last year even under Green our 5 x 5 game was decent.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, JM_ said:

so... the choice there was not to QO Brock and he walks for free. Is that really good asset management? 

maybe it is

Johnny Gudreau walked for free and the Flames signed Nazim Kadri  instead

the time to trade Brock was pre deadline

they picked up Kuzmenko and Mikheyev for 0 assets

and now we are benching a top 9 forward

• Huggy Bear 2

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

maybe it is

Johnny Gudreau walked for free and the Flames signed Nazim Kadri  instead

the time to trade Brock was pre deadline

they picked up Kuzmenko and Mikheyev for 0 assets

and now we are benching a top 9 forward

No one in their right mind would argue letting Johnny Hockey walk to free agency and losing him for nothing was good asset management. That was the flames making the best of a bad situation.

Just now, Shayster007 said:

No one in their right mind would argue letting Johnny Hockey walk to free agency and losing him for nothing was good asset management. That was the flames making the best of a bad situation.

no one in their right mind qualifies Brock at $7.25M

no one in their right mind give Brock a contract that QOs at $7.25

no on in their right mind give Brock a $6.65M contract for 3 years, or is that what 23 goal scorers are making now a days?

would you say Alvin made the best of a bad situation?

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I do think part of loading up where they could on the F group was to have the option to trade from a position of strength. We can now move one of Boeser or Garland and be just fine. 

This was never going to be solved in one off season. 

We also could have moved on from Miller with the same logic FYI.

And like I said, all those remaining forwards, plus a couple of Hague/Marino/Chychrun....I'm not sure you can say that's actually a "step back".

3 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

They can snap out of it, but with the holes on the blue line, we are at best a fringe playoff team. I'm hoping this losing streak triggers PA/JR to take some action instead of trying to roll with the blue line the way it is.

Hughes for 26 minutes a night is just not going to work. 

Yeah, I have no clue why they are burning a year or two off here and doing nothing. When all is said and done we'll be lucky to have one year before JT is just an anchor. 

I would way rather watch a young team growing into something than this mediocre group wasting time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, lmm said:

no one in their right mind qualifies Brock at $7.25M

no one in their right mind give Brock a contract that QOs at $7.25

no on in their right mind give Brock a $6.65M contract for 3 years, or is that what 23 goal scorers are making now a days?

would you say Alvin made the best of a bad situation?

I completely disagree that no one gives Brock a 6.65 million dollar contract. Infact I think most GM's in the league sign that same deal in the summer if they aren't planning on trading the player. He has 260 points in 329 career games, that contract is by no means unreasonable, at all. Thompson got a higher AAV with a less pp. There is nothing wrong with Brocks contract, in the same summer.

No, I'm not saying Alvin made the best of a bed situations. He played Brock market value for the player.

I'm saying that no one in their right mind would possibly think letting JG walk would be concidered good asset management. You are literally the first person I have seen make that argument.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When Demko starts playing like the top five goalie he is, then we will start a win streak.  He’s our most important player and must play better. 

Demko needs to be better but fans also needs the have realistic expectations. He carried this team on his back and played Vezina caliber hockey most nights, but when he wasn't superman we'd often lose. Now that he's not looking like superman the rest of the team needs to step up too.

Point is, if your team is reliant on your goaltender playing like a Vezina candidate night in and night out just to have a chance at winning your team isn't very good. Demko and Martin will let in ugly goals, have tough games, or games where they're average but not spectacular, the rest of the team should be able to bail them out too. 

If anything Demko looking more human highlights the roster deficiencies and play of the guys in front of him. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1