Canucks Community

[Proposal] Rebuild

WCE

To WPG Boeser 

To Van Dillon 6'4 & 2nd rd 2024

To Buffalo Horvat

To Van Laaksonen 6'1, Bloom, 2nd rd 2023

To NJ Hughes & Stillman

To Van Sharangovich, Serverson 6'2 ,Graves 6'5, Bahl 6'5, 1st rd 2023 top 5 protected  & 2nd rd 2024

This would add size to our Defence all 6 ft plus, Sharangovich could slot in as 3rd line centre

Also would add 7.3 in cap

Definition of a rebuild is to stock up on draft picks and very young prospects. 

I don't know if retool is even a word in the hockey world. But whatever it is, it is a half full bucket bandaid that doesn't work and a waste of a few years. Has anyone seen a NHL team that "retool'ed" and did well? 

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

I don't know if retool is even a word in the hockey world. But whatever it is, it is a half full bucket bandaid that doesn't work and a waste of a few years. Has anyone seen a NHL team that "retool'ed" and did well? 

The Avs when trading their top centre and top D?  

Most of our players don’t have much value right now but when they find their way, where’s Miller, Garland, etc if we’re doing a full rebuild . No to trading Hughes as he’s still very young and the best d we have ever had. If we’re trading Hughes, might as well trade Petey and Demko. Horvat is one of the few players that give a crap right now. Will play along though.

If we’re trading Hughes and add Demko to NJ, would be looking at Mercer, Mukhamudalin, Nemec and 1sts. 

Miller to Bos for Lysell, 1st

Garland for 2nd, b prospect

Add cap where applicable

1 hour ago, Boknows08 said:

Most of our players don’t have much value right now but when they find their way, where’s Miller, Garland, etc if we’re doing a full rebuild . No to trading Hughes as he’s still very young and the best d we have ever had. If we’re trading Hughes, might as well trade Petey and Demko. Horvat is one of the few players that give a crap right now. Will play along though.

If we’re trading Hughes and add Demko to NJ, would be looking at Mercer, Mukhamudalin, Nemec and 1sts. 

Add cap where applicable

The issue is they lose value when we're not playing well, so we don't trade them. 
Then when we they do play welll then the team doesn't want to trade them because they're needed to help us make the playoffs. 

It's been an endless cycle for years. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Boknows08 said:

Add cap where applicable

When I try and think of who will take Miller with the extension I came up blank, however Boston may be one of our only options if management goes this way (They won’t).  Retaining on Miller makes it work for them this year, and the extension works as Bergeron and Krejci will retire after this year.  

Maybe just a simple Miller for Carlo deal and we move on.

21 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

When I try and think of who will take Miller with the extension I came up blank, however Boston may be one of our only options if management goes this way (They won’t).  Retaining on Miller makes it work for them this year, and the extension works as Bergeron and Krejci will retire after this year.  

Maybe just a simple Miller for Carlo deal and we move on.

Totally agree with you, management definitely won’t go the rebuild way. I was just going along with the original poster suggesting Lysell, 1st for a rebuild. Yeah Boston will probably need 2 top 6c after this year. 

Hopefully our defence can get healthy soon, make a trade to fix it then be on our way. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Rebuild is replacing the core.  And I mean the core 2 or 3 players.  The players you build a team around.  For example, the core players in the Sedin era were Daniel and Henrik, that's it.

Retool is to change the supporting cast.

The players on the Canucks presently who are the core are Demko, Petey and Hughes.  We've heard Rutherford refer to this many times

A great example of a team who retooled is Buffalo and this happened in 2021 at the TDL and Draft.

They recognized that their core was going to be Dahlin and Power, both left shot defensemen who were drafted 1st over all.

What did they do?  Essentially,

1.   Eichel to Vegas for Tuch, Krebs, a 1st and 2nd
  2.  Reinhart to Florida for Levi and 1st
  3.  Ristoleinen to Philly for Hagg, a 1st and 2nd
  4.  Hall & Lazar to Boston for Bjork and a 2nd

Supporting cast that they kept:  Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Skinner, Cozens, Okposo, Asplund, Jokiharju, Ekin, Samuelsson and others.

And now, 1 year later they're very much looking like a playoff team

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Rebuild is replacing the core.  And I mean the core 2 or 3 players.  The players you build a team around.  For example, the core players in the Sedin era were Daniel and Henrik, that's it.

The players on the Canucks presently who are the core are Demko, Petey and Hughes.  We've heard Rutherford refer to this many times

A great example of a team who retooled is Buffalo and this happened in 2021 at the TDL and Draft.

They recognized that their core was going to be Dahlin and Power, both left shot defensemen who were drafted 1st over all.

Supporting cast that they kept:  Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Thompson, Skinner, Cozens, Okposo, Asplund, Jokiharju, Ekin, Samuelsson and others.

Great post - puts things into perspective.  Look at all the high draft picks Buffalo accumulated, as well as some very useful players.  

Please email your post to Jim Rutherford and Francesco Aquilini.  Thanks !

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the thread @WCE.  Somewhere to hold all our idea's for the pending rebuild.  For myself, some idea's in my head.

To NJ: Petey, Demko, Rathbone

to Van: Hughes Bro's. Nemec.

Petey > J. Hughes while Demko makes their ridiculous defense even better.  NJ wont miss the 2 youngins as they'd be contenders and have room to extend Petey while having Demko on a good value contract.  Rathbone gives them a young player on the left side that their RHD can bring along.

Traded for picks/prospects: Miller, Horvat, Garland, Kuzy, Boeser, Pearson, Myers

Hopefully we finally get the 1st OA and get Bedard. 

New roster for next season.

Mikayev - J. Hughes - Podz

Hoglander - Bedard - McDonough

Bains - Karlson - Lazar

Joshua - Aman - Lockwood

Q. Hughes- Nemec

L. Hughes - Burroughs

OEL- Schenn

Johansson

Truscott

Martin

Silovs

Give Schenn the C.  Uncle Luke will keep other teams and ours honest.  The defense would be solid and we'd need to address depth in the goalie pipeline.  Should lead to a quick turn around as we'd have top end defence prospects ready to make the jump with some high end forwards.  We'd be much weaker in net but we've seen a lot of teams lately get by with an above average goalie with solid defence.  We'd also hope Clark can work his magic with what we have right now.  

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

You are really glossing over the reality of a few of those situations. Buffalo didn't trade Eichel because "They recognized that their core was going to be Dahlin and Powers" and the only reason they kept Skinner is because it would cost multiple 1st round picks to unload that contract. 

Buffalo's retool was done out of necessity not because of some grand realization. They made Powers and Dahlin the core because the entire core they had been trying to build around for the last 5 years almost èall demanded out.

And getting world class goaltending, in a very small sample, from the oldest player in the NHL and a 27 year old with 28 games played before this year will always make your team look good.

Edited by 204CanucksFan

12 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Thanks for the thread @WCE.  Somewhere to hold all our idea's for the pending rebuild.  For myself, some idea's in my head.

To NJ: Petey, Demko, Rathbone

to Van: Hughes Bro's. Nemec.

Petey > J. Hughes while Demko makes their ridiculous defense even better.  NJ wont miss the 2 youngins as they'd be contenders and have room to extend Petey while having Demko on a good value contract.  Rathbone gives them a young player on the left side that their RHD can bring along.

Traded for picks/prospects: Miller, Horvat, Garland, Kuzy, Boeser, Pearson, Myers

Hopefully we finally get the 1st OA and get Bedard. 

New roster for next season.

Mikayev - J. Hughes - Podz

Hoglander - Bedard - McDonough

Bains - Karlson - Lazar

Joshua - Aman - Lockwood

Q. Hughes- Nemec

L. Hughes - Burroughs

OEL- Schenn

Johansson

Truscott

Martin

Silovs

Give Schenn the C.  Uncle Luke will keep other teams and ours honest.  The defense would be solid and we'd need to address depth in the goalie pipeline.  Should lead to a quick turn around as we'd have top end defence prospects ready to make the jump with some high end forwards.  We'd be much weaker in net but we've seen a lot of teams lately get by with an above average goalie with solid defence.  We'd also hope Clark can work his magic with what we have right now.  

Reverse on the Hughes Trade... give them Quinn plus something for Nemec, Holtz, and a 1st.  They get three American boys to play together.  We get the futures to start an actual rebuild.

Petterson and Demko for more of picks or close to NHL ready prospects.

Nobody off the table, trade veterans with salary retained to get rid of them this year and up their value.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Reverse on the Hughes Trade... give them Quinn plus something for Nemec, Holtz, and a 1st.  They get three American boys to play together.  We get the futures to start an actual rebuild.

Nobody off the table, trade veterans with salary retained to get rid of them this year and up their value.

Hughes for:

Nemec, Severson with extension in place, 1st. Solves our right d issues, and a bit for the future. 

We're giving them a marketing and team chemistry dream.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

You are really glossing over the reality of a few of those situations. Buffalo didn't trade Eichel because "They recognized that their core was going to be Dahlin and Powers" and the only reason they kept Skinner is because it would cost multiple 1st round picks to unload that contract. 

Buffalo's retool was done out of necessity not because of some grand realization. They made Powers and Dahlin the core because the entire core they had been trying to build around for the last 5 years almost èall demanded out.

And getting world class goaltending, in a very small sample, from the oldest player in the NHL and a 27 year old with 28 games played before this year will always make your team look good.

Sure it's simplified.  But regardless of why, that's what happened. 

The Sabres have their warts as you point out.  The Skinner contract is terrible.  They have goaltending left to solve.  Eichel wanted out for a number of reasons.  Disagreement over his neck injury, the team scuffling along and never improving despite high draft picks.  Maybe these demands helped to focus managements thoughts on the future of the team.   It seems to have worked out pretty well so far but they have work to do still.

The Canucks need to balance their line up.  There's plenty of disagreements about what they need to do as we all can see from reading CDC but at this point, for the greater good, I am prepared to say good bye to some players that I really like.  I think that Allvin has had enough time to evaluate the team.  Whether cap restrictions allow him to make the necessary deals this year or next, we'll see.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Definitely thought of that but I wanted to collect the Hughes Bro's lol.  But I do agree that dealing Hughes is more likely than what I suggested. Demko and Petey will get us great returns but not comfortable trading them for picks (lotto tickets) and would like more blue chip/developed prospects.  Like everyone else has mentioned, we should start by building up the defense and centre positions.  Might even hold onto Demko as the last piece to move to see what we can gather from moving the others first.

5 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I agree with this assessment