The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wouldn't call Dave Nonis' kick at the GM can as "competent management".  He only really made one decent trade during his time as GM, and that was to fulfill his wet dream of getting Roberto Luongo.  Most of the rest of the trades he made were between terribruh and horribad.

I also give him credit for not trading Kesler+ for Brad Richards, which got him fired.  Proof that sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I think we won't necessarily agree on everything that has happened this season, but I'm sure most of us will agree that the jersey toss was in bad taste. Shame on that person. I've criticized this management pretty much from the beginning, but even I think the jersey toss is low class. It reflects badly on this fanbase.

I've watched hockey for many, many years. I've seen glimpses of the bad Canucks teams in the 80's and 90s (prior to 94). I've followed other bad teams. I honestly don't remember a fanbase that has so little patience this early in the season that would throw a jersey down. This is a very spoiled fanbase. The state of this team is definitely not as bad as the other teams I mentioned. Suck it up.

Wish more were thrown for the disgusting play on the ice. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree with it but if I was a seasons ticket holder shelling out thousands of hard earned dollars I’d be pretty pissed. What’s another $300 on top of that?

Ownership is clearly not getting the message that fans are tired of being sold this rebuild on the fly crap that gets us nowhere. It’s been a decade of this with no end in sight.

Perhaps this is where the changes need to be made. I'm sure Aquilini is well aware of what's been happening for a decade. 

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

While I can't disagree with a fan showing dissatisfaction by throwing his jersey on the ice, I really don't think the teams early record over the last while is bad enough to warrant all caps for "ANOTHER miserable start"

The team actually has a pretty good record in October over the last decade (seems to be the consensus starting point for when the team started to consistently do poorly).

October record for the last 10 seasons (overall record in brackets):

2013-14: 9-5-1 (36-35-11)

2014-15: 7-3-0 (48-29-5)

2015-16: 5-2-4 (31-38-13)

2016-17: 4-4-1 (30-43-9)

2017-18: 6-3-2 (31-40-11)

2018-19: 8-6-0 (35-36-11)

2019-20: 8-3-1 (36-27-6)

2020-21(10 games approx proportional to normal October): 5-5-0 (23-29-4)

2021-22: 3-5-1 (40-30-12)

2022-23 (to date): 0-4-2 (?)

Total: 55-40-12

This is only the 2nd time in the last decade we've been sub .500 for the end of October and still a few games to improve it. We've actually typically had pretty good starts despite terrible seasons overall.

That being said I do agree that this is unacceptable and a clear sign of a major problem in the team construction/personnel. I believe that a major roster shake up is going to be the best thing to wake this team up.

Yeah and the biggest member of the last regime, still remains. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

16 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Other teams now finding success also went through periods of misery...rebuilding does that. 

Often, they've been in the bottom and have received top picks...it helps move things along.

Only problem is this owner doesn't want a rebuild only retool and it hasn't worked for 50 years!

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Was it a Miller jersey by chance?

Looking at the schedule, they play CAR, SEA, PIT and NJ next. That'll be 10 games in. Can they go 0 for 10 in the Win column? 

How long before management wakes up and does something? Do they fire Bruce before they make a trade?

They played inspirational hockey the last half of last season, but those days are gone. Maybe Miller isn't the great leader some thought he was. 

JR/PA messed up IMO, when they refused to trade Miller for a King's ransom in the off season.  

Which trade offer are you refering to?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I think a jersey toss is a bit radical, and a waste of money. That said, I think it's time to blow up the team.

Keep Demko, Hughes, and Petey. Every one else, we get a call, the answer is "prospects and picks" in return, and it's a deal!

The whole freaking team.

People with NMC that we have a deal for, they don't waive it, welcome to operation pressbox forever. If a deal is in place and they don't take it, well, it's their last chance to play NHL hockey.

I am that pissed at the whole team. Asking for big bucks like they are god's gift to hockey, and then stinking it up this much? 

Pathetic.

You've got my vote and likely tens of thousands of other BC'ers that agree 100% with you!   This Team is "COOKED" and it's finally time for Frankie Aqua-Lini to admit his meddling and tampering trying to ice the same type of team every year for the last decade has finally reach the end of acceptance.  HE SHOULD SELL THIS BLOODY TEAM TO OWNERS WHO CARE because he obviously doesn't.

17 hours ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

To put a restriction on the team as a fan to only offer up your money if they win isn't fair to the sport, and feels too transactional. The players don't get paycuts if they don't win, as a player I feel you are focused on personal advancement more than team achievement. Why? Because a 100 point player on a bad team still has the same value in the league whether team wins or loses, losing doesn't erode a player value so there is no incentive to try other than pride and competition.

However competitive nature can be squashed by a halo effect if everyone acts like it's fine which is what I am seeing with the Canucks. They have it made with Vancouver - always doing car commercials, playing around with a puppy, galivanting in suites and eating out at charity events, going to spas and hanging out in cliques. This is a relaxed atmosphere to me of a millionaire life, they don't own a fan "winning" I envy a professional athletes life because like a meteorologist they get paid either way rain or shine so don't take it so personally if the team loses because the players aren't.

I agree with your first statement but I've spent my fair share throughout this rebuild. I love my team. What we've seen 6 games into the season isn't my team. They don't want to play or win for Vancouver. At least our shitty years prior were honest and we had something (not much) to cheer for. 

Yea because one covid playoffs in the last decade has made us so happy with all the success this team has had....

As long as its not done during gameplay and only during breaks then whatever.  If someone wants to piss away a $200 jersey then so be it.

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You've got my vote and likely tens of thousands of other BC'ers that agree 100% with you!   This Team is "COOKED" and it's finally time for Frankie Aqua-Lini to admit his meddling and tampering trying to ice the same type of team every year for the last decade has finally reach the end of acceptance.  HE SHOULD SELL THIS BLOODY TEAM TO OWNERS WHO CARE because he obviously doesn't.

Well if you agree then the question is after.......

Should we take my approach and other than one good line with say Elias and our best prospects, should we ice an entire team of goons?

Or should we go half and half lol?

If were gonna loose every game, I want someone to stick up for the poor young guys that are going to try but still likely fail.

12 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I wouldn't call Dave Nonis' kick at the GM can as "competent management".  He only really made one decent trade during his time as GM, and that was to fulfill his wet dream of getting Roberto Luongo.  Most of the rest of the trades he made were between terribruh and horribad.

Bryan Burke.

That's it.

• Vintage 1

On 10/23/2022 at 8:31 AM, Dazzle said:

I think we won't necessarily agree on everything that has happened this season, but I'm sure most of us will agree that the jersey toss was in bad taste. Shame on that person. I've criticized this management pretty much from the beginning, but even I think the jersey toss is low class. It reflects badly on this fanbase.

I've watched hockey for many, many years. I've seen glimpses of the bad Canucks teams in the 80's and 90s (prior to 94). I've followed other bad teams. I honestly don't remember a fanbase that has so little patience this early in the season that would throw a jersey down. This is a very spoiled fanbase. The state of this team is definitely not as bad as the other teams I mentioned. Suck it up.

100% disagree with you but then again I'm not a cheerleader. It's been 10 years, there is patience and there is stupidly hopeful, you might be on the wrong side of that line.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Actually, no...you can't throw things. Although they do make provision for hats during a hat trick, people can (and have been) thrown out for throwing stuff onto the ice.

You can protest outside the building...inside, you have codes of conduct to abide by.

Besides, it's kind of dumb to "protest" a team losing games. They aren't doing it on purpose, they want to win, they just aren't. 

Paying for entry does not give you the right to do what you like...believe me, they have rules. 

I have always taken a jersey toss to mean "go ahead and ban me forever while your at it".

Which reminds me there was at least one person in the back that I could see on the other side to get their jersey tossed as well, but the person didn't find enough people to help.

Some people like me to roll their eyes and advocate blowing up the team.

14 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Uh, no?  I won't speak for other teams, but you don't think Canucks fans have what it takes to trash the city again?  They were local Canucks fans and are part of the reason we have a terrible, entitled reputation on par with Leafs fans.

Absolute Bunk.

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

This truth needs more exposure.

The spin our crap media puts on that debacle is bull.

I explicitly remember riding the skytrain to the game that day. The train was full of drunken teenagers from the valley (so I guess Surrey and Langley are out of town?) that would literally crowd surface in the next stops drunken teens onto the most packed trains I have EVER been on, and then squish them in when the doors closed. (I guess that makes Burnaby and East Van out of town as well.).

I had a funny feeling before the game even started, and it might have happened regardless of the score.

So ya. 

• Upvote 1