The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

7 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

I explicitly remember riding the skytrain to the game that day. The train was full of drunken teenagers from the valley (so I guess Surrey and Langley are out of town?) that would literally crowd surface in the next stops drunken teens onto the most packed trains I have EVER been on, and then squish them in when the doors closed. (I guess that makes Burnaby and East Van out of town as well.).

I had a funny feeling before the game even started, and it might have happened regardless of the score.

So ya. 

One convicted arsonist was a medical student from Calgary (entitled shit, "my dad is a doctor") who was caught and still had more Molotov cocktails in his back pack.

What part of Vancouver Canucks Fans Rioted does this represent?

36 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Agreed - Brian Burke was the last GM we had that had what I would consider "competent management".

From my perspective, the jury's still out on current management, but initial looks really aren't helping their cause.

They are saying the right things. They aren't doing them per se, but it's not easy. My radical idea would burn a lot of bridge, then bomb them, they bomb the roads on the way to the bridge.

But it would wipe the slate clean.

29 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

One convicted arsonist was a medical student from Calgary (entitled shit, "my dad is a doctor") who was caught and still had more Molotov cocktails in his back pack.

What part of Vancouver Canucks Fans Rioted does this represent?

One person.  I'm sure there was one person from out of town booing last weekend too.  What a stupid comeback.

But it's Vancouver fans doing scummy stuff.  It's Vancouver fans who started harassing JT Miller with his family yesterday at a pumpkin patch.

We can't deny the team is elite in forward and goalie strength. The problem here is that when you have too many all star caliber players they don't always mix or perform well as many examples in sports show.

The Canucks have put together one of the leagues most expensive D cores and a stacked forward core + elite goaltending. From their perspective they crossed all the Ts and checked all the boxes.

No one can wrap their head around how a team this well built is not working thats the issue.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

29 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

We can't deny the team is elite in forward and goalie strength. The problem here is that when you have too many all star caliber players they don't always mix or perform well as many examples in sports show.

The Canucks have put together one of the leagues most expensive D cores and a stacked forward core + elite goaltending. From their perspective they crossed all the Ts and checked all the boxes.

No one can wrap their head around how a team this well built is not working thats the issue.

Being expensive doesn't make a D core good. It's the most expensive, and one of the worst. Personally I don't think this team is well constructed at all. 

We leaned on all-star caliber goaltending last year and it masked how poor our D was. We then blew our capspace trying to correct flaws in the team (slow and terrible pking) by adding to a position of strength. Unfortunately, that bet hasn't really turned out since we are then scratching sure fire top 9 players like Garland while our D struggled.

I'm also in shock this team is this bad, but not because it's a well constructed team. I just thought we had enough forwards to brute strength our way through our flaws.

On 10/23/2022 at 4:31 PM, Dazzle said:

I think we won't necessarily agree on everything that has happened this season, but I'm sure most of us will agree that the jersey toss was in bad taste. Shame on that person. I've criticized this management pretty much from the beginning, but even I think the jersey toss is low class. It reflects badly on this fanbase.

I've watched hockey for many, many years. I've seen glimpses of the bad Canucks teams in the 80's and 90s (prior to 94). I've followed other bad teams. I honestly don't remember a fanbase that has so little patience this early in the season that would throw a jersey down. This is a very spoiled fanbase. The state of this team is definitely not as bad as the other teams I mentioned. Suck it up.

Benning got a little revenge here and I hope he had to pay much to those that threw the jerseys. 

On 10/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, Dazzle said:

I think we won't necessarily agree on everything that has happened this season, but I'm sure most of us will agree that the jersey toss was in bad taste. Shame on that person. I've criticized this management pretty much from the beginning, but even I think the jersey toss is low class. It reflects badly on this fanbase.

I've watched hockey for many, many years. I've seen glimpses of the bad Canucks teams in the 80's and 90s (prior to 94). I've followed other bad teams. I honestly don't remember a fanbase that has so little patience this early in the season that would throw a jersey down. This is a very spoiled fanbase. The state of this team is definitely not as bad as the other teams I mentioned. Suck it up.

Typical (virtuous) Vancouver point of view, of the world cause if this happened, in the 80's or 90's or SOMEWHERE else, it wouldn't be a big deal.  I had been a fan for a long time, as well and I cannot see how you can call, the fanbased spoiled ?  Spoiled of what: the endless cycle of mediocrity ?  Anyways, the jersey thing would had been better, if the name Aquaman was on it.   

On 10/23/2022 at 7:31 AM, Dazzle said:

Oh the utter shame. First off it's just sports and if some one want to toss their jersey out let them so . They are disgusted after buying tickets, probably parking, snacks and a crappy over priced jersey.  As Bo Hovart stated he understands and past maybe a slight safely issue of skating over the jersey so what?

This isn't a spoiled fanbase. How much winning have they watched over 50 years. I watched from the beginning and they've done very little to sustain much over 50 years. 

You should suck it up and live with a pi$$ed off base. 

I was preaching patience before the season started because we have to see what we have before be bitch and moan but at this point it's understandable. 

But remember it's just sports entertainment. We all need to remember that.

We also have to remember some one very incompetent set this whole thing in place, named Jim Benning.

• RoughGame 1

12 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Oh the utter shame. First off it's just sports and if some one want to toss their jersey out let them so . They are disgusted after buying tickets, probably parking, snacks and a crappy over priced jersey.  As Bo Hovart stated he understands and past maybe a slight safely issue of skating over the jersey so what?

This isn't a spoiled fanbase. How much winning have they watched over 50 years. I watched from the beginning and they've done very little to sustain much over 50 years. 

You should suck it up and live with a pi$$ed off base. 

I was preaching patience before the season started because we have to see what we have before be bitch and moan but at this point it's understandable. 

But remember it's just sports entertainment. We all need to remember that.

We also have to remember some one very incompetent set this whole thing in place, named Jim Benning.

You forgot a member of the past regime, that STILL remains': the architect named Aquaman.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, ronthecivil said:

I explicitly remember riding the skytrain to the game that day. The train was full of drunken teenagers from the valley (so I guess Surrey and Langley are out of town?) that would literally crowd surface in the next stops drunken teens onto the most packed trains I have EVER been on, and then squish them in when the doors closed. (I guess that makes Burnaby and East Van out of town as well.).

I had a funny feeling before the game even started, and it might have happened regardless of the score.

So ya. 

100%. 

Vancouver was full of valley kids aged 12 to 20 that had come to town for a riot, regardless of the score. Most probably didn't even watch the game.  

I was on ground zero, on Granville street and walked all around downtown while everything was breaking/burning around me.  

Another weird thing was that police weren't doing anything. I kept waiting for some kids to get slapped and told to leave, but nothing happened. 

I kept my friends straight, we just enjoyed the sights and sounds. I knew that this was the early days of everyone having a camera and that it would all surface. 

1 hour ago, HI5 said:

It was Vancouver Canuck fans that rioted, doesn't really matter where they're from..it happened in '94 and '11.

2010, after we won the gold wasn’t much better. I was the manager for a large store in the heart of downtown and made the call to shut the store right after the game which was lucky as stores around us were being looted. We had alley access so helped a few injured people and had ambulance and police come through our loading bay.

16 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Pretty sure he was the one talking rebuild while Benning and FA wanted rebuild on the fly and that is why he left. 

The closer to rebuild moves didn’t happen until after Linden left though which doesn’t really follow that theory.