The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

If they played hard in the third and lost by a goal or two it probably would have been different, but the players came out in the third period and quit.  I don't think they will change Bruce unless we are winless in October.  They could change an assistant coach but again who is there to change really?  King but that's about it, but it would be understandable because our PP sucks.  

It seems the players are incapable or unwilling to play a team system.  It looks exactly like Green's deployment all over again.  Passive PK, stagnant PP, holding puck too long.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

If they played hard in the third and lost by a goal or two it probably would have been different, but the players came out in the third period and quit.  I don't think they will change Bruce unless we are winless in October.  They could change an assistant coach but again who is there to change really?  King but that's about it, but it would be understandable because our PP sucks.  

It seems the players are incapable or unwilling to play a team system.  It looks exactly like Green's deployment all over again.  Passive PK, stagnant PP, holding puck too long.

Yeo, who has caused problems on every team he's been a part of.  The guy is an absolute cancer in the room.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, awalk said:

H Sedin jersey

Im sure the person who threw it is nursing a hangover today wishing they didn't turf their $300 jersey. It sure did make a bit of a scene though. 

I am guessing the thrown jerseys were not brand new and were purchased 2nd hand and thus aren't worth more than $50? Jerseys change colors, names and design almost every year and thus I am guessing lose their value quickly so actually it's totally worth throwing it down to make a personal statement to the team, an intimate statement by the jersey owner is worth $50 any day and people agree as more than 1 was thrown.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeo, who has caused problems on every team he's been a part of.  The guy is an absolute cancer in the room.

I dont disagree, odd it was Bruce's choice.  But equally odd was JR's comment on after hours, it made it seem that he wasnt aware of Bruce's contract situation and was just honoring the contract for the 2nd year.  It was like it was an option year but no one knew whose option it was team or Bruce lol.

I know I have been negative about how this team is built but still cheer for them all the time. 
No matter how bad Benning was messing things up I was there to cheer the team.

‘As long as trader Jim sits on his hands doing his best Nonis impression, I still cheer for them. 
‘I would never do anything like that no matter how much my team sh!ts the bed. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We don't deserve to spend our hard earned money on a team of floaters that don't care about winning. This kind of "our guys dont deserve that" attitude is what's enabled our franchise of accepting a losing culture and accepting the fact that we're an embarrassment of a franchise.

The entire league is laughing at us. Time to wake up. 

To put a restriction on the team as a fan to only offer up your money if they win isn't fair to the sport, and feels too transactional. The players don't get paycuts if they don't win, as a player I feel you are focused on personal advancement more than team achievement. Why? Because a 100 point player on a bad team still has the same value in the league whether team wins or loses, losing doesn't erode a player value so there is no incentive to try other than pride and competition.

However competitive nature can be squashed by a halo effect if everyone acts like it's fine which is what I am seeing with the Canucks. They have it made with Vancouver - always doing car commercials, playing around with a puppy, galivanting in suites and eating out at charity events, going to spas and hanging out in cliques. This is a relaxed atmosphere to me of a millionaire life, they don't own a fan "winning" I envy a professional athletes life because like a meteorologist they get paid either way rain or shine so don't take it so personally if the team loses because the players aren't.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

I think a jersey toss is a bit radical, and a waste of money. That said, I think it's time to blow up the team.

Keep Demko, Hughes, and Petey. Every one else, we get a call, the answer is "prospects and picks" in return, and it's a deal!

The whole freaking team.

People with NMC that we have a deal for, they don't waive it, welcome to operation pressbox forever. If a deal is in place and they don't take it, well, it's their last chance to play NHL hockey.

I am that pissed at the whole team. Asking for big bucks like they are god's gift to hockey, and then stinking it up this much? 

Pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

I think a jersey toss is a bit radical, and a waste of money. That said, I think it's time to blow up the team.

Keep Demko, Hughes, and Petey. Every one else, we get a call, the answer is "prospects and picks" in return, and it's a deal!

The whole freaking team.

People with NMC that we have a deal for, they don't waive it, welcome to operation pressbox forever. If a deal is in place and they don't take it, well, it's their last chance to play NHL hockey.

I am that pissed at the whole team. Asking for big bucks like they are god's gift to hockey, and then stinking it up this much? 

Pathetic.

I don’t agree with it but if I was a seasons ticket holder shelling out thousands of hard earned dollars I’d be pretty pissed. What’s another $300 on top of that?

Ownership is clearly not getting the message that fans are tired of being sold this rebuild on the fly crap that gets us nowhere. It’s been a decade of this with no end in sight.

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, gurn said:

At this point, the team 'deserves', boos,  jersey throwing, trades, and demotions.

throw in a few coach firings as well.

The amount of folk that are upset by what someone does to their own clothing, is truly mind boggling.

Here's an idea, maybe if the team played better, nobody would toss a jersey.

I disagree. This is the most ultimate form of disrespect in sports.

They know they are awful. It was game 6 out of an 82 game schedule. We have 2 points out of a possible 12. The regular season has 164 points up for grabs. There is still time to sort things out. 

Second point - Players remember this when they want to re-sign or come to Vancouver. Every little thing matters. This doesn’t help.

This is a tough one for me. I have been a fan of this team since elementary school in the 80’s. I remember Linden and McLean hugging after game 7. I lost my voice more than once in 2011…I have watched various versions of this team lay their hearts, bodies and soul on the line for us, the fans. This edition of the team seams to lack heart, it’s tough to cheer for them. I will never jump ship and cheer for another team, but if someone wants to throw their jersey I kinda feel they have that right. 

It’s not about a winning record for me, it’s about effort, and not giving up. We have enough skill to win. Last year proved our coach os good enough to get some wins. Did Bruce forget how to coach over the summer?  Did JT get hit in the head and unlearn backchecking, skating and other basic skills…no. JT got paid, Bruce is a lame duck coach. Everyone in the league knows we have no right side D. Hughes is playing 25 min a night and clearly can’t handle that much load so he makes mistakes too. Something needs to give here. I would genuinely embrace a rebuild and do it now. A real one, not “on the fly crap”. Trade JT for cap space while it is even possible. Throw in Woo or something similar of you need to. Trade Bo for a ransom…take an expiring bad contract for another lottery ticket if you can. If we have to watch hockey this bad, let’s at least have a point to it. Show the guys that stay that half assed efforts are not good enough. I’m not a fan of tanking but what I am watching is pathetic. Throw a jersey if it makes you feel better. I will be keeping mine but I feel the sentiment too. Something has to change. Bedard sure would look good with an Orca on his chest. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I disagree. This is the most ultimate form of disrespect in sports.

They know they are awful. It was game 6 out of an 82 game schedule. We have 2 points out of a possible 12. The regular season has 164 points up for grabs. There is still time to sort things out. 

Second point - Players remember this when they want to re-sign or come to Vancouver. Every little thing matters. This doesn’t help.

0-6 with piss poor collapses is actual the ultimate form of disrespect. Having a team play like this- is the main factor that would keep anyone from signing here.

Maybe worry about the big things first.

More attention on "this team sucks" rather than "that guy threw some of his own clothing away". 

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

Not gonna lie, I don't care whether jerseys are tossed or not. I wouldn't do it but I also understand that the fanbase has a limited number of ways to express their frustration. At least in terms of what gets the attention of ownership and management. I don't care if it's disgusting, disgraceful, or whatever else people wanna call it, it can't be any worse than the product on the ice that results in jersey tosses. All they've got to do is not suck, to show up, to at least play with heart instead of giving up after what was a bounce back second period. 

Could also be that someone was simply drunk and wanted attention, but given the boo birds and the fact it was multiple jerseys I doubt it in this instance. Fans are fed up, we're a long ways from the late 2000's and early 2010's now, the product on the ice has been pretty bad for most of the last decade. 

If you're already paying money for Canucks tickets and overpriced food and drink what's another few hundred dollars to get your point across? No shortage of people with money in Vancouver. If folks wanna be moralistic and grumble when merch is tossed, by all means, but if things don't turn around sooner than later expect to see more of it. The fanbase cares, maybe too much. It's not as simple as painting it as a bunch of "negative" fans, that entire building was pretty damn loud last night, you could hear the boos on the TV. After nearly a decade of lackluster teams and on-ice product the Canucks are fortunate to have a fanbase that still gives a shit. 

I mean, even on here, people wouldn't be going round in circles over this stuff if they weren't invested on some level. Trade proposals, arguments over player value, whether we trade or re-sign x, and so on. The results have been garbage, we could very well go 0-9 with Carolina, Seattle, and Pittsburgh up next. Of course fans are frustrated, and some of em are gonna express that differently than you might. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kerrsil said:

To think that Trevor Linden was actually right.  JB failed, i get it, but we need to stop with the blame game and do something to stop the bleed or it'll be too late again.  This is probably the most embarrassing start I've ever had to witness as a die hard canucks fan, but I think it's even more embarrassing as a fan base to throw a jersey on the ice after only 6 games.  I get it.  Go kick a firehydrant or a garbage can.  Don't throw the $300 sedin jersey on the ice.  

4 jerseys on the ice though? That kind of anger from the fans, misguided though it is, hopefully wakes up the management to the fact that they cannot continue to ice this defense, hoping that THIS time things be different.   Pure insanity.

The whole thing is embarrassing.  The ownership should be embarrassed, the management, the players. Hell us fans are too! Our record setting pace to start the year is another embarrassment in a long string.  The players clearly learned nothing.   

They need a major shake up.  Not coaches, as we've already done it before, but at the player level.  Petey, Hughes and Demko are your core.  Everyone else should be fair game, now that you've hit rock bottom.

Fix this ship, and right the course, damn it. I'm tired of it.  But to throw a jersey on the ice, is truly deplorable.

I dont JB failed at all, no more than Nonis did.  There's a good team in there, they just need to understand that core of young guys is the dominant core emerging and they need to use current assets to build the right kind of depth around the young guys.........which was, imo, JB's plan for this year.

• Cheers 3