The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

We didn't get a rebuild because the owner didn't want it/listen to Linden. This is what happens when not all the way in or committed to doing the right things. You end up with the Vietnam War. 

Linden was the one pushing the remain competitive narrative though. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Truly sad. We all know that the rebuild on the fly strategy doesn't actually work, particularly if the team wasn't good the year before. I knew full well that re-signing Miller would not be a good one because of the cap implications. We are so freaking locked right now. Any cap space that was freed this year is now gone. Great cap management there...

Unfortunately, I have to agree.    The Miller & Boeser signings were the worst and last thing this team needed.   Let's not even dabate that for a second!   The good news is that both can be disposed of this year, as they both have salary certainty and neither have a NTC - for now.   So JR can undo the web of misery he has sown for himself and all fans until 2030 (with Miller).   Otherwise, it will be a long ride into the next decade.

There are also several other pieces of this team that can be unloaded this year, but unfortunately many teams don't have a lot of cap room left now, as JR "Missed the Boat & Failed" over the summer, when he could have obtained higher value for each player, so we might be stuck until trade DL (or maybe next summer) and even then, only be able to unload the highest value players - if there are any high value players left on this team by then (as their play continues to rapidly deteriorate).

In the meantime, about all we can expect if things continue as is, is that BB gets fired at some point and thereafter JR, Alvin & "The Chipmunk Girls" if things even continue terribly after that. But JR will probably try to make one (maybe two) "statement trades" before then to send a message to the team and fanbase - but will likely have little overall effect in the long run until the Mandatory Rebuild Commences - that this team is long overdue for - and Aqua-Lini prevented. due to his short term/bottom line small thinking as he continues to destroy this franchise and only uses them as a tax-writeoff against his Leaky Condo Building Empire gains.

So hang in there folks because not much will likely change for now until Aqua-lini allows the rebuild to begin or finally sells the team - which is the best overall decision for this franchise and the only thing that right the canucks ship in the long-run, as we all know AQUA-LINI IS PROBLEM No. 1 in the bigger picture as he hides in the background like his children are (allegedly) from him.

I am totally fine with jersey toss to get the message across to our thick skulled owner and management given that the jersey tossed has the name and number of a player currently on the roaster.

Throwing #33 on the ice is just plain wrong given that was the jersey of the best player in Canucks history and lead the best team in the franchise existence. 

3 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Reports are there were four our five jerseys tossed. I'm fine with it. It's part of hockey when your team is what it is for so long. The guys need a wakeup, or a shakeup. 

Well, I had a friend at the game last night who texted me and he said that there was beer and popcorn flying over the 300 level rails onto the lower bowl during the last 7 minutes of the game and alot of booing in the halways all the way onto the skytrain afterwards.  So it was not just those six jersey tossing fans in question but hords of fans that were very, very p'd off and mad at this team.  Maybe, someone will post some vids online of the Kaos outside after the game because apparenty it wasn't pretty either.    The City is Restless & Fed-Up of false Aqua-Lini promises I guess and unfortunately you can't blame people afted a decade of this type of performance.  People can only take so much - after all and have limits to their patience.   

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Totally. Fans have a right to be upset that the standards of “just making the playoffs and anything can happen” is just not a end goal any franchise should end. Where as Trevor Linden in the summer of 2018 stepped away from the team because Benning and Francisco wanted a to chase the playoffs instead of a taredown. Well procrastinating that proper rebuild and double downing this pretender status of retooling on the fly has just caused more impatience in the fan base.

Some people say that this market can’t stomach a proper rebuild. I call that bullsh!t because fans can see the direction that the team is going in. They can see growth and hope. In this teams state, where is the hope? Where is the direction other then the same numb narrative that just squeezing into a wild card spot is good enough. Fans (not all but most) are not stupid and have seen the same movie for the last 10 years. We are done with this mediocre mandate and would be in favour of a REAL REBUILD, one that has us accumulate as many picks and prospects as the teams like Chigago, LA, Anaheim and others have done but not us, never us. That is the man at the tops issue and fans have a right to be frustrated and upset. 

********************************************************************************************************************

*************************************** (Possibly) POST Of The YEAR****************************************

********************************************************************************************************************

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well, I had a friend at the game last night who texted me and he said that there was beer and popcorn flying over the 300 level rails onto the lower bowl during the last 7 minutes of the game and alot of booing in the halways all the way onto the skytrain afterwards.  So it was not just those six jersey tossing fans in question but hords of fans that were very, very p'd off and mad at this team.  Maybe, someone will post some vids online of the Kaos outside after the game because apparenty it wasn't pretty either.    The City is Restless & Fed-Up of false Aqua-Lini promises I guess and unfortunately you can't blame people afted a decade of this type of performance.  People can only take so much - after all and have limits to their patience.   

I think anyone that is losing their $hit at a hockey team/ game needs to get some therapy. 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

4 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

We deserve a proper rebuild. And if it takes getting boo'd off the ice and jerseys being tossed game after game than so be it.

That's also what got Gillis fired.  

Do you feel that those fans chanting "Fire Gillis" did a disservice to our team/franchise?  I sure as hell do. 

Listening to angry, drunk fans is the last thing that I want driving our franchise forward. It's like handing your keys to the drunk guy at the bar and asking him to drive your car, no thanks. 

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I think anyone that is losing their $hit at a hockey team/ game needs to get some therapy. 

You might be onto something there, but keep in mind there are alot (and i mean alot) of intoxicated and even high fans at those games.  I was a STH for well over twenty years until last April) and can write a full book on the stuff I've seen at PC/GM/Rogers Place.  Seen some very baffling & ugly stuff and so I was not surprised and even predicted (in the GDT) well before the incident happened, that Jerseys would likely be flying over the boards, as after watching this team closely for several decades, being a longtime STH and seeing the current state of affairs, I think I know the pulse of this fanbase pretty-well enough to have known that was coming.  

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You might be onto something there, but keep in mind there are alot (and i mean alot) of intoxicated and even high fans at those games. 

Pretty easy to tell the difference; the drunks are loud, sloppy and obnoxious. The high are just looking for nachos, cookies and Rocky Road icecream.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's also what got Gillis fired.  

Do you feel that those fans chanting "Fire Gillis" did a disservice to our team/franchise?  I sure as hell do. 

Listening to angry, drunk fans is the last thing that I want driving our franchise forward. It's like handing your keys to the drunk guy at the bar and asking him to drive your car, no thanks. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Pretty easy to tell the difference; the drunks are loud, sloppy and obnoxious. The high are just looking for nachos, cookies and Rocky Road icecream.

Yes, after being being a STH for decades you get pretty good at reading the crowd and getting to know the fanbase like when Edmonton rolls into town, you always seem to see alot of twenty something scruffy fans with their GF's dressed in Ultra-tight ripped jeans, a belly button skimpy T-shirt, hooker applied make-up and look like they just came off the street corners of Ft.Mac at 2:00 in the morning.  I could profile other opposing teams fans quite well and to a "T", but you get the picture and know what I'm talking about.

I look at us as where the Av’s were in Bednar’s first year. They had their core of forwards mostly but stank, historically so. The team was patient, Sakic got a great deal and very lucky in trading Duschene and got Makar in the draft. 
we have a solid beginning of a forward lineup with EP and the Russians. QH and Demko in place. It is looking like we will be drafting high, especially if we can start to sell off some players. Need prospects and pics because nothing is coming, the system is bare. We need quality and quantity in prospects.  Some size would be nice as well. 
If JTM or even Bo  can get a decent return would entertain it at this point. I think no matter what, Brock probably needs to move on. 
Though I think JTM signed a fair contract by todays standards, I want out of it before it starts, not 5 years in. 
When this team is healthy and everyone is playing at their best like last half of last year we are competitive but flawed. D not great, play very small and not terribly fast. Bad place to be, not overly skilled, not overly big, not overly fast, not overly deep.

we have been through part of the rebuild and have some solid young guys to show for it, just need more and probably time to move on from a few of the guys that have learned to lose here for the last 5-6 years.
The overall organization has been rebuilt but needs so much on ice at all levels. Lots of work to be done and this is probably best thing in the long run that we are showing our flaws to the massive slow moving management team. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Linden was the one pushing the remain competitive narrative though. 

Pretty sure most reports have indicated that Linden saw the light regarding the shortcuts and wanted to slow it down, but Benning and Aquilini wanted to stay on course.

Something we can actually agree on Dazz.  Pathetic and does not help the situation one bit.

What you may not agree with is that IMO, Benning already doubled down, on doubling down, on doubling down to the point where each season we gave up younger value for perceived playoff status value, and it didn't work out, so we scraped together what was left each summer, bled more futures with ever diminishing returns, and pretended that NOW, scouts honour, we were a playoff team.

....Like the NDP were initially against the bloated cost and questionable return of the Site C Dam for years, and then when Premier Horgan gets elected, he realizes that its gone too far now, too much investment, and BC taxpayers might as well go for it now, even if the returns won't be as great as first promised by Chrispy Clark......JR decided at some point he might as well look at the glass as half full. 

Benning had put the team's cap and finances in such a bind, with no plan or prospects to start any kind of immediate rebuild, that it made it almost more difficult at this juncture to tear it apart, than it was to just keep going with the re-tool(?), so as to not waste Petey, Hughes, and to some extent Bo's and Brocks window as well. We acquired Miller at the wrong time and price, for where we were.  But MIller's successful season was also another reason to continue with the Site C Canucks plan. Landing Kuzmenko was probably what finally pushed management to finally drop the idea of a strip down, and sign Miller.  And just hope the defense isn't as bad as everyone said it was.

But it was.  And here we are.  In an even worst position, or even ability at all, to tear it down.  Trading subpar performing players with muli year contracts will get us nothing.

But throwing a jersey on the ice will not help the team's confidence.  They need all the support they can get.  If anyone thinks that the players are lazy, or not interested, or floating etc... at the start of the freaking season?!!!..give your heads a shake.  The bigger problem is a cumulative one that has been building for years.

In hindsight, who doesn't think that JR is greatly regretful of not letting BB walk, even if the fans would hate him for it, and putting in a more systems based coach.  Not re-signing Miller or Boeser for that matter. So then having real value to trade for real defensive help for this season.

And in the big picture, it always comes back to our meddling owner.  He cowed the last GM into a wrong direction, and this time he hired his own coach before he hired a President or GM and told them they'd have to work with him if they wanted the job.  As we can see, a cheerleader type, players coach only works for so long. I really think the biggest problem we've had here for almost 10 years now, is our owner.

5 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Fans are fed up, I'm not surprised at all.

At what point to we accept that JB's 8 year rebuild failed.

There was no rebuild!  Under Benning the Canucks traded more picks out than they brought in.  

They've avoided a rebuild for the last 10 years which is why this team has been one of the worst teams in all of sports over the last decade.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We don't deserve to spend our hard earned money on a team of floaters that don't care about winning. This kind of "our guys dont deserve that" attitude is what's enabled our franchise of accepting a losing culture and accepting the fact that we're an embarrassment of a franchise.

The entire league is laughing at us. Time to wake up. 

that and my direct line to Rutherford.