The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yesterday's jersey toss - disgusting

Rate this topic

Dazzle

4 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not sure I agree cause the action of one should not condemn the group

That's not how it will be seen by others unfortunately. When Bruins won the cup, the international news was about Vancouverites having a riot in the city. You can't convince anyone else that it's just a small group of bad apples, even if we know the truth.  Not to mention it happened in 1994 too. 

Same thing now. The fan base is tainted by actions of a few. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Vintage 1

That Jersey, should have had Aquaman on the back cause this whole mess, is on him: he helped create the current roster and cap messed.  As a long time fan, the teams past/current failure are not on me cause I just merely, enjoy watching hockey and I like the Canucks, for a looooong time now. 

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

That's not how it will be seen by others unfortunately. When Bruins won the cup, the international news was about Vancouverites having a riot in the city. You can't convince anyone else that it's just a small group of bad apples, even if we know the truth.  Not to mention it happened in 1994 too. 

Same thing now. The fan base is tainted by actions of a few. 

In 2022 your comment has more merit - but not necessarily applicable to some; perhaps to most, depending on where.   Anyways, ANOTHER miserable start to a season but a winning streak, here & there should appease most.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's also what got Gillis fired.  

Do you feel that those fans chanting "Fire Gillis" did a disservice to our team/franchise?  I sure as hell do. 

Listening to angry, drunk fans is the last thing that I want driving our franchise forward. It's like handing your keys to the drunk guy at the bar and asking him to drive your car, no thanks. 

No, Gillis needed to be fired before he did former damage.

54 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Fans are fed up, I'm not surprised at all.

At what point to we accept that JB's 8 year rebuild failed.

This team has had minor blips of success like the bubble and last season but they have never proved to sustain that pressure over a full season.

Heck, we most likely wouldn't have even made the playoffs the bubble year if there never was the covid shut down.

This core failed. We are a terrible team.

We deserve a proper rebuild. And if it takes getting boo'd off the ice and jerseys being tossed game after game than so be it.

If you want to throw your jersey on the ice, go join the leafs fan base.

53 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Most rebuilds don't last 10 years with no fruits of the labour

We werent fortunate enough to draft a generational player to speed up the rebuild. There have been plenty of 10 year rebuilds. Sh!t just look at Arizona they’re still going. Edmonton took ages too with how many 1OA? Buffalo took years and years, Florida took 10 years, COL made playoffs once in 7 years and took them 11 years from drafting Landeskog 2nd overall and 9 years from drafting Mackinnon 1st overall to win a cup. That young talented squad couldnt make playoffs for 6/7 years and Mackinnon had how many tantrums and freakouts on the bench? He struggled for how many years to produce? 3 and then he popped off. We still have several players under 25.

Buffalo has missed 11 straight years

Edmonton missed playoffs 12/13 years and have only been in the playoffs 60% of the time with McDavid.

Florida has made the post season 4 times in the last 19 f***ing years.

Carolina missed the playoffs 9 straight years 

Toronto missed 10/11 years and then drafted Matthews. Still havent escaped the 1st round

CBJ since 2000-2001 have been in the playoffs 6 times. Twice in a span of 15 years

Chicago missed 9/12 years before winning their first cup in the salary cap era.

New Jersey Devils have missed 9/10 years of playoffs

I dont think you understand how hard it is to build a team from scratch or how hard it is to make playoffs.

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No, Gillis needed to be fired before he did former damage.

Gillis should’ve been given the chance to rebuild after 2012 or 13 but ownership would never allow it. Even a decade later they still won’t allow it. 

He showed what he could do when he traded Schneider for the draft pick and selected Horvat. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Most rebuilds don't last 10 years with no fruits of the labour

Absolutely.  Even if they had to redo a rebuild, teams have had some nice pieces to build around.  Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona, NJ, Philly, Florida, Leafs, MTL, have or had to rebuild close to or over 10 years.  Florida is the closest cup contender.  The Av's rebuilt their rebuild by trading Duchene and they sucked for a long time until recently.  It happens more often but some of those teams have had to start over more than once.  Only difference, we've never had a 1st OA pick ever, and no top 3 picks this century.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

If you want to throw your jersey on the ice, go join the leafs fan base.

We werent fortunate enough to draft a generational player to speed up the rebuild. There have been plenty of 10 year rebuilds. Sh!t just look at Arizona they’re still going. Edmonton took ages too with how many 1OA? Buffalo took years and years, Florida took 10 years, COL made playoffs once in 7 years and took them 11 years from drafting Landeskog 2nd overall and 9 years from drafting Mackinnon 1st overall to win a cup. That young talented squad couldnt make playoffs for 6/7 years and Mackinnon had how many tantrums and freakouts on the bench? He struggled for how many years to produce? 3 and then he popped off. We still have several players under 25.

Buffalo has missed 11 straight years

Edmonton missed playoffs 12/13 years and have only been in the playoffs 60% of the time with McDavid.

Florida has made the post season 4 times in the last 19 f***ing years.

Carolina missed the playoffs 9 straight years 

Toronto missed 10/11 years and then drafted Matthews. Still havent escaped the 1st round

CBJ since 2000-2001 have been in the playoffs 6 times. Twice in a span of 15 years

Chicago missed 9/12 years before winning their first cup in the salary cap era.

New Jersey Devils have missed 9/10 years of playoffs

I dont think you understand how hard it is to build a team from scratch or how hard it is to make playoffs.

I don't think many people do. This post illustrates just how slow a rebuild process actually is.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

That's also what got Gillis fired.  

Do you feel that those fans chanting "Fire Gillis" did a disservice to our team/franchise?  I sure as hell do. 

Listening to angry, drunk fans is the last thing that I want driving our franchise forward. It's like handing your keys to the drunk guy at the bar and asking him to drive your car, no thanks. 

I never said I wanted Rutherford fired. 

But he should rebuild the team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, azurechief said:

If you throw a jersey on the ice you should be banned from the arena permanently

I would be ok with an 'If you throw anything on the ice = ban" but would never try to differentiate between popcorn and a jersey.

Objects on the ice are simply objects on the ice.

Shoe, pop bottle, beer can, popcorn or jersey.

All result in tossed.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Nearly a DECADE of bad hockey will do that I guess...

CAR missed 9 times in a row .,. and they won a cup too.   Too bad they weren't still the Whalers but i will take it,   EDM 2 playoffs 2 decades...Buffalo is doing what we should be doing now.   

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

The problem is the players feel sorry for themselves and the fans feel sorry for them.

Those poor millionaires how will they ever recover from this jersey thrown on the ice.

It's not that (for me anyways).

It doesn't help the situation....kicking the players when they're down. They're obviously completely lacking in confidence right now (as has been stated by the players themselves) and so this just possibly compounds that. Sure, sending them a message might wake them up a bit but I just don't know that this is the most effective way to spark the team. Which is what most of us are (or should be) hoping for.

They're tentative (again, like last year) and need to build some confidence and momentum.

No amount of money in the world provides immunity from human emotion....high paid athletes feel bad just like everyone else when they're not successful. Probably even moreso because the pressure on them to succeed is much greater than the average Joe. They're under the spotlight and being scrutinized. The money's great for sure, but they're still human beings and not machines. They'll recover but it doesn't mean that they aren't going through a rough time right now...no one wants them to win more than they do. 

Plus, it looks like something a six year old does...throws stuff when they're frustrated and stomps out of the sandbox rink.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1