The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes Reunification (VAN-NJ mega deal)

JM_

To NJ: Q. Hughes, Burroughs 

To Van: Severson (with extension in place), Nemec, protected 1st.

NJ gets the trifecta brother combo, a marketing and team chemistry dream, and an 80 pt potential d man. And with Hamilton and Marino there, it doesn't decimate their right side. Burroughs is serviceable on their bottom pair. 

We solve our RHD issues going forward, and gain a late 1st.

• Like 2
  • RoughGame 4

We

Can

Absolutely

Do

better

Than

That

For

Hughes

The last defenceman of his calibre that got traded was Karlsson.  There's so very few ppg or near ppg defencemen who can play some semblance of defence out there.  To only get a late first and Nemec (severson not withstanding) just seems like a gamble of insane proportions knowing we'd be gambling on a complete unknown in Nemec at this point in his pro career 

I mean don't get me wrong.  Love the idea of either player, but that cost....yikes

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We

Can

Absolutely

Do

better

Than

That

For

Hughes

The last defenceman of his calibre that got traded was Karlsson.  There's so very few ppg or near ppg defencemen who can play some semblance of defence out there.  To only get a late first and Nemec (severson not withstanding) just seems like a gamble of insane proportions knowing we'd be gambling on a complete unknown in Nemec at this point in his pro career 

I mean don't get me wrong.  Love the idea of either player, but that cost....yikes

I agree, but do you think Hughes would be enough to turn Jersey's 1st into a late 1st? I'm not sold on their goaltending. 

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We

Can

Absolutely

Do

better

Than

That

For

Hughes

RHD are the hardest players to get, we're getting two back and a 1st in my scheme. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We

Can

Absolutely

Do

better

Than

That

For

Hughes

How is Nemec an unknown? He was the 2nd overall pick last draft... got picked ahead of Cooley and Wright. He's in Utica this year and holding his own as an 18 year old in the AHL. Guy is super valuable.

5 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

How is Nemec an unknown? He was the 2nd overall pick last draft... got picked ahead of Cooley and Wright. He's in Utica this year and holding his own as an 18 year old in the AHL. Guy is super valuable.

A recent review of 2nd overall draft picks shows

beniers

Byfield

Kakko

Svechnikov

Patrick

Laine

Eichel

Reinhardt

Barkov

Murray

Landeskog

Seguin

Tell me, how many of those players you think is worth Hughes,  If the answer is not a resounding 80% or more it's a massive gamble to lose to the best defenseman this teams ever drafted.

• Thanks 1

I honestly don’t think NJ cares about getting all 3 brothers when the cost is prohibitively high. (Both in assets and cap space).  Their attendance is pretty strong and hasn’t really fluctuated that much even through the lean years.  They’re better off keeping Nemec and his entry level contract.  Especially considering Luke is still college. 

58 minutes ago, JM_ said:

NJ gets the trifecta brother combo, a marketing and team chemistry dream, and an 80 pt potential d man. And with Hamilton and Marino there, it doesn't decimate their right side. Burroughs is serviceable on their bottom pair. 

Like the trade -- rather have Marino

I would rather take Marino 25 - 5 yrs X 4.4 million

Severson 28 -RD will demand  6.5--7 million X 7 yrs this summer ( UFA 29 yrs old summer....

Marion 25 -RD -6'1 #3 D man -- 5 yrs X 4.4 million

Nemec 18 - RD -6'0 future # 2 RD man   2nd overall 2022 draft.. - entry level deal

1st rounder - 2023 --should be between 14 -18th O/A.  ---  

3rd rounder -2024

NJ Devil

Hughes 23 -5'10 Top 10 offensive D man in league 5 yrs X 7.8 millio

Dermott --25  RD --# 4 D man

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Add Garland on Vancouvers end for Miles Wood (gritty player) and either Holtz/Mercer and you have a deal.

Edited by BureBurrito

34 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A recent review of 2nd overall draft picks shows

beniers

Byfield

Kakko

Svechnikov

Patrick

Laine

Eichel

Reinhardt

Barkov

Murray

Landeskog

Seguin

Tell me, how many of those players you think is worth Hughes,  If the answer is not a resounding 80% or more it's a massive gamble to lose to the best defenseman this teams ever drafted.

There is no correlation between any of these players except for their draft slot... which is completely independent of how good of a player they become. Although to answer your question: Beniers, Svechnikov, Laine, Eichel, Barkov, Landeskog, Seguin are/were all really good/elite players, in a similar vein to Hughes. I hate to break it to you but Hughes is not a generational talent, he is simply an elite skater and offensive defenceman.

Plus, you only mentioned 1 other defenceman in that list. Nemec is tracking to be a top pairing 2-way D, which is something we actually need badly. Trading Hughes for this plus a top-4 D and a 1st is pretty darn good value.

57 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

8 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

There is no correlation between any of these players except for their draft slot... which is completely independent of how good of a player they become. Although to answer your question: Beniers, Svechnikov, Laine, Eichel, Barkov, Landeskog, Seguin are/were all really good/elite players, in a similar vein to Hughes. I hate to break it to you but Hughes is not a generational talent, he is simply an elite skater and offensive defenceman.

Plus, you only mentioned 1 other defenceman in that list. Nemec is tracking to be a top pairing 2-way D, which is something we actually need badly. Trading Hughes for this plus a top-4 D and a 1st is pretty darn good value.

You're moving the goal posts of your own statements.

2nd overall means nothing until and unless a player has proven themselves int eh big leagues.  Out of that entire list stretching back a decade truly only 4 or 5 of those players are truly worth the squeeze.  Where as a defenceman that is nearly ppg over their first three years on a truly troubled team is absolutely worth a fortune for very good reason.  

Nemec is not tracking to be anything I might add after only 4 games in the AHL where he's thus far been held off of the score sheet.

We need a top pairing 2-way RHD is as well your statement.  Until we trade our best young LHD that we've ever drafted to obtain it.  once we trade him for that we now need a new young top pairing point getting LHD.

See the issue here?

20 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Nemec might end up better than Quinn, I don't know if NJD does this unless they want to win now and stop their re-tooling.

Hughes for Nemec + 1st is probably as far as they'd go

Hughes + Schenn + Garland for Nemec + Severson + 1st (top-3 protected) I'd do in a flash though.

Nemec is an unproven commodity and Hughes is one of the top D in the league already while signed for 5 more years at 7.85M. He would be a player that helps them now and moving forward.

Hughes' would warrant a massive return.

I wouldn't want Severson personally. If we're gonna tear down we should aim for some of their top end prospects.

To NJ Hughes & Hoglander

To Van Serverson 6'2, Graves 6'5, Sharangovich 6'2, Foote 6'2 & 1st rd 2023 top 3 protected

Sharangovich is who we need search this on youtube Braden Schneider Crushes Jesper Boqvist Before Fighting With Yegor Sharangovich

If we decide to trade Horvat or Miller, Sharangovich could play Centre, OEL 6'2 with Myers hasn't done that great would like to see Graves 6'5 and Myers 6'8

Severson would be our #1 right dman, Foote hasn't played much in the NHL but in utica last year 32 pts in 55 games plus 15 

7 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nemec is an unproven commodity and Hughes is one of the top D in the league already while signed for 5 more years at 7.85M. He would be a player that helps them now and moving forward.

Hughes' would warrant a massive return.

I wouldn't want Severson personally. If we're gonna tear down we should aim for some of their top end prospects.

So what deal would you be OK with?

12 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Any deal with New Jersey has to involve Jesper Bratt.  Love the kid.

Bratt and Nemec for Quinn...

that would be an interesting one for sure... Bratt with Petey and Podz could be outstanding. 

• Haha 1