The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes Reunification (VAN-NJ mega deal)

JM_

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You're moving the goal posts of your own statements.

2nd overall means nothing until and unless a player has proven themselves int eh big leagues.  Out of that entire list stretching back a decade truly only 4 or 5 of those players are truly worth the squeeze.  Where as a defenceman that is nearly ppg over their first three years on a truly troubled team is absolutely worth a fortune for very good reason.  

Nemec is not tracking to be anything I might add after only 4 games in the AHL where he's thus far been held off of the score sheet.

We need a top pairing 2-way RHD is as well your statement.  Until we trade our best young LHD that we've ever drafted to obtain it.  once we trade him for that we now need a new young top pairing point getting LHD.

See the issue here?

agreed if nemec is tracking to be a top 2 way defender based on 4 ahl game.. then i guess rathbone is tracking to be a top pairing LHD? since he's a ppg guy in the ahl?

• Cheers 1

On 10/23/2022 at 6:43 PM, JM_ said:

To NJ: Q. Hughes, Burroughs 

To Van: Severson (with extension in place), Nemec, protected 1st.

NJ gets the trifecta brother combo, a marketing and team chemistry dream, and an 80 pt potential d man. And with Hamilton and Marino there, it doesn't decimate their right side. Burroughs is serviceable on their bottom pair. 

We solve our RHD issues going forward, and gain a late 1st.

Why would they trade Nemec (highly sought after RD) for a LD of similar cieling? And they have to add a 1st? Lol keep dreaming. Not to mention Nemec has 3 inches and 10 pounds on Quinn. There are no defensemen projected top 10 in next year's draft, either. The thought that NJ doesn't need Nemec cause they have Hamilton and Marino is laughable. And you also want them to add Severson! Crazy.

• Vintage 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:50 AM, Provost said:

If we are trading Hughes is means full rebuild so Severson is a bad fit.

Nemec, Holtz, and a 1st

We can take back some bad cap from them to make it work.

Three firsts including a 2nd overall pick? Man, lotta homers in this thread.

30 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Three firsts including a 2nd overall pick? Man, lotta homers in this thread.

For an established young top 10 D in the league on a locked in team friendly deal who is also marketing gold with two brothers already on their team?

Yep.  Absolutely.

He is more than what you hope your prospects turn into and they haven’t shown they are NHLers yet.

Guys like Hughes don’t come on the market and everyone wants them.  The only reason we would trade him is the worry we can’t re-sign him and want to maximize value rather than wasting a bunch of his prime years while rebuilding.

For perspective, we paid - 1st round pick for Miller who was a 3rd liner who scored 14 goals and 46 points.  Teams pay 1st round picks for “ok” rentals at deadlines.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

For an established young top 10 D in the league on a locked in team friendly deal who is also marketing gold with two brothers already on their team?

Yep.  Absolutely.

He is more than what you hope your prospects turn into and they haven’t shown they are NHLers yet.

Guys like Hughes don’t come on the market and everyone wants them.  The only reason we would trade him is the worry we can’t re-sign him and want to maximize value rather than wasting a bunch of his prime years while rebuilding.

For perspective, we paid - 1st round pick for Miller who was a 3rd liner who scored 14 goals and 46 points.  Teams pay 1st round picks for “ok” rentals at deadlines.

So if New Jersey calls and says they will trade us Jack Hughes for Pettersson, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st, you think that's fair?

34 minutes ago, Baer. said:

So if New Jersey calls and says they will trade us Jack Hughes for Pettersson, Lekkerimaki, and a 1st, you think that's fair?

D-Petey… ya I probably do that.

Otherwise it is just a dumb comparison.  

I am not sure you understand the difference between prospects and actual proven high end NHLers.  You seem to think they are the same thing based on what round they were drafted.

Elias is a top line centre in the league.  Hughes is a high end 1st pairing D.

Almost all first round picks never end up as good as either of those guys.

Using your logic, I absolutely trade Virtanen, Juolevi, and a 1st for an established Hughes level D man.

On 10/23/2022 at 10:35 PM, Warhippy said:

A recent review of 2nd overall draft picks shows

beniers

Byfield

Kakko

Svechnikov

Patrick

Laine

Eichel

Reinhardt

Barkov

Murray

Landeskog

Seguin

Tell me, how many of those players you think is worth Hughes,  If the answer is not a resounding 80% or more it's a massive gamble to lose to the best defenseman this teams ever drafted.

Offensive defenseman drafted? Nowhere near as good as Ohlund on defence and i'd still rank edler over him for 2 way play. 

On 10/27/2022 at 2:20 PM, Baer. said:

Call me a homer all you want, but I'm not so sure I'd trade Pettersson straight up for Hughes. Petey's developing into an amazing two-way player. The only advantage is that Hughes is a couple of years younger.

• Vintage 1

On 10/27/2022 at 11:27 AM, Provost said:

Yep.  Absolutely.

a Hughes deal has to bring a ton for each side. Its one thing to say this guy or that guy is worth '4 pieces' or whatever. Its another to actually look at what a player is worth in the market conditions for a particular year. 

I don't think my original idea is that far off, the only real question is would it be worth it to us? how badly do we want to solve the 1RHD problem? 

1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Call me a homer all you want, but I'm not so sure I'd trade Pettersson straight up for Hughes. Petey's developing into an amazing two-way player. The only advantage is that Hughes is a couple of years younger.

Thank you for proving my point.

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2022 at 10:35 PM, Warhippy said:

A recent review of 2nd overall draft picks shows

beniers

Byfield

Kakko

Svechnikov

Patrick

Laine

Eichel

Reinhardt

Barkov

Murray

Landeskog

Seguin

Tell me, how many of those players you think is worth Hughes,  If the answer is not a resounding 80% or more it's a massive gamble to lose to the best defenseman this teams ever drafted.

Well ... Seguin, Landeskog, Eichel, Barkov,  Svecknikov all are between good - great for their teams (or were).  It's still too early for some to even know, same with QHs too.   Yes he's an offensive dynamo... but let's be honest too, we haven't seen him dominate a game like EK could before injuries mounted up (Cookes foot stomp cost him at least one, likely a couple more Norris trophies), and really isn't that good in his own zone, average maybe, although he's exceptional once he gets the puck on his stick.  Yes he's a special player.  

Trading QHs would suck for sure.   And the return should be high.   To me this would be an upgrade on our D-core and provide a decent chance at another young player.    Maybe it's not enough?  But it's not far off either.    One thing that concerns me, and has since we've drafted him, is what happens if injuries start mounting up for him as well.   McAvoy is missing the entire season and i thought he was tiny his rookie season, but then again he was on the ice with Chara lol.   Sure big guys get injured too, but until ive seen him manage 95 plus games a year a couple times in a row ... this concern isn't going away. 

Team needs a shake up.   This isn't a terrible idea, seen worse. 

Edited by IBatch