The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do You Have the Stomach For a Rebuild?

Rate this topic

Warhippy

Would You Accept A Rebuild?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

This is nonsense. The reason we don't have a lot on the farm team now is because they are all on the NHL team. Petey, Hughs, Podz Hog, Rath, Demko ect. 

And you are trying to pass this off as John Ferguson Jr's Leafs. :sadno:

Bennings error was that he still fought the cycle during the get younger years by spending picks that he should have just kept. The Sudin Leafs were probably one of the oldest teams in the league and they had literally nothing. We are the 5th-6th youngest and have our competitive prospects on the team already

And they have surrounded that youth with bad contracts and created a team that is capped out, has traded or flopped on multiple  first rounders and is still bleeding away pics and youth on n a futile attempt to be mediocre. 
In the last 10 years of this rebuild only Tampa and Boston have picked less in first and second round. They were winning cups, we were “retooling”. 
Allvin so far is following Bennings playbook to a T. Doubling down on vets that are loosing, moving pics for “developed prospects” that teams have soured on. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think that allocation will come from Boeser being traded. If Kuz looks like a legit top 6 and comes in around where Mikheyev is (i.e. under Boesers deal) I think we need to do that. 

Thats assuming of course that we can move Boeser without taking a salary back. 

I'd be shocked tbh, he hasn't looked worth 6.6M

Two seasons after this one ain't lengthy term but if he's not scoring it's enough to be a headache

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

A team that is not good enough to contend perennially but tries to add one more UFA piece to push us into scraping into the playoffs where “anything can happen”. 
sure sounds like the JFJ Leafs to me. 

That part of it yeah. But not the part about prospects. Lots of our players are still prospects even though they are on the NHL team. We still dont know what we have in some of these guys. They are too young ie they are prospects.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be shocked tbh, he hasn't looked worth 6.6M

Two seasons after this one ain't lengthy term but if he's not scoring it's enough to be a headache

its why I proposed a thread with Tatar coming back in a deal with NJ, I not sure that we can just send him somewhere without retention. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its why I proposed a thread with Tatar coming back in a deal with NJ, I not sure that we can just send him somewhere without retention. 

I'll have to peek

And I doubt it, we'd probably have to retain or take cap back, both of which are doable 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Only 2 years. Great time to use retention to maximize a diminished asset. 

agreed, its just I've seen no indication that this is even remotely in the plans with this mgmt group. Certainly not if the guys pull to .500 in the next week or so. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

agreed, its just I've seen no indication that this is even remotely in the plans with this mgmt group. Certainly not if the guys pull to .500 in the next week or so. 

oh no, we are totally Benning (Benninging?) this thing for the next few years. They are managing us like we are an elite team just trying to add a couple more complimentary pieces. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

oh no, we are totally Benning (Benninging?) this thing for the next few years. They are managing us like we are an elite team just trying to add a couple more complimentary pieces. 

I don't think its unwarranted, I mean we do have some talent here and Petey seems to be developing into a 200' player and a PK beast. 

Are Petey, Hughes, Demko elitę enough to go the distance? 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I don't think its unwarranted, I mean we do have some talent here and Petey seems to be developing into a 200' player and a PK beast. 

Are Petey, Hughes, Demko elitę enough to go the distance? 

I agree about EP. Hughes is Hughes and a great piece as is Demko. At this point all our potentIal improvement has to come from improvement of Podz because not much else that is on the upswing. 
‘A few decent winger prospects in the pipeline but that is it. Nothing to fill in for expiring contracts of players like Myers and Schenn so no doubt we will be out trying to fill big hole on right side in UFA market because that is how we roll.  If we end up trading Bo, Studnicka is our number 2 centre. 
‘We have talent but no depth of talent, no top flight talent coming and as always, capped out, very small, not very fast, not a really skilled team and not very physical. What is it about this team that says championship calibre other than the potential of Demko hot streak at right time. 

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

I agree about EP. Hughes is Hughes and a great piece as is Demko. At this point all our potentIal improvement has to come from improvement of Podz because not much else that is on the upswing. 
‘A few decent winger prospects in the pipeline but that is it. Nothing to fill in for expiring contracts of players like Myers and Schenn so no doubt we will be out trying to fill big hole on right side in UFA market because that is how we roll.  If we end up trading Bo, Studnicka is our number 2 centre. 
‘We have talent but no depth of talent, no top flight talent coming and as always, capped out, very small, not very fast, not a really skilled team and not very physical. What is it about this team that says championship calibre other than the potential of Demko hot streak at right time. 

I'm not sure I completely agree on the not physical part, we actually brought it pretty good to Seattle and Pits. No, we don't have a heat seeking missile like Tom Wilson, we could sure use that. Maybe Klimovich can bring some much needed grit in two years.

Its a thin opening this team has. I think we'll be fine on the F group. Demko should revert back to his normal self. Left side d looks good.

We need Bear to be 2nd pair quality. 

How to get that 1RHD? I think its UFA or offer sheet. 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I think that allocation will come from Boeser being traded. If Kuz looks like a legit top 6 and comes in around where Mikheyev is (i.e. under Boesers deal) I think we need to do that. 

Thats assuming of course that we can move Boeser without taking a salary back. 

Imagine if we'd just let Boeser walk (or traded him for a 2nd or something if we could last year) and used that cap space to snag Marino...

That said, Boeser was coming off injury and the team was playing like a bag of smashed a-holes, sitting in the Arizona Sun.

Let him get healthy, pot some goals and get his value up and we might actually get something for him. Pretty clear he's not long for this team though.

• Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Imagine if we'd just let Boeser walk (or traded him for a 2nd or something if we could last year) and used that cap space to snag Marino...

That said, Boeser was coming off injury and the team was playing like a bag of smashed a-holes, sitting in the Arizona Sun.

Let him get healthy, pot some goals and get his value up and we might actually get something for him. Pretty clear he's not long for this team though.

yep. I'm trying to come up with something realistic over in the proposals thread for Brock. 

I 100% have the stomach for a rebuild but I do not have the stomach for seeing Petey walk. The man wants to win, he wants to play with a winning team. He is not staying with the Canucks if we go full rebuild mode. So in conclusion, no rebuild mode because I can’t lose Petey. 

40 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm not sure I completely agree on the not physical part, we actually brought it pretty good to Seattle and Pits. No, we don't have a heat seeking missile like Tom Wilson, we could sure use that. Maybe Klimovich can bring some much needed grit in two years.

Its a thin opening this team has. I think we'll be fine on the F group. Demko should revert back to his normal self. Left side d looks good.

We need Bear to be 2nd pair quality. 

How to get that 1RHD? I think its UFA or offer sheet. 

2 games in desperation mode filled with AHL players. You lock it down and goon it up. Where was the pushback the previous 7 games. 
I think that is just repeating the same mistakes. Top D rarely hit the market. 
Makar/Byram, Hedman, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Carlson, Letang, Chara.  (I skipped Chicago just because…Chicago). 
‘Cups are won with a number one D. I love Hughes but he needs to learn to shoot and continue to develop defensively to fill out his game but even then, I think we still need a high level defensive stopper/puck mover that can play big minutes and that needs to come from the high end of the draft.  We also need a lot more D and C prospects than we currently have. 
‘I also think we need another good, not necessarily super elite C prospect/young guy. Maybe lightning will strike and Studnicka will turn it around but not betting the farm on that. 
‘I would like to see OEL-Bear pairing and move Myers to 3rd pair with heavy PK duties. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

2 games in desperation mode filled with AHL players. You lock it down and goon it up. Where was the pushback the previous 7 games. 
I think that is just repeating the same mistakes. Top D rarely hit the market. 
Makar/Byram, Hedman, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Carlson, Letang, Chara.  (I skipped Chicago just because…Chicago). 
‘Cups are won with a number one D. I love Hughes but he needs to learn to shoot and continue to develop defensively to fill out his game but even then, I think we still need a high level defensive stopper/puck mover that can play big minutes and that needs to come from the high end of the draft.  We also need a lot more D and C prospects than we currently have. 
‘I also think we need another good, not necessarily super elite C prospect/young guy. Maybe lightning will strike and Studnicka will turn it around but not betting the farm on that. 
‘I would like to see OEL-Bear pairing and move Myers to 3rd pair with heavy PK duties. 

thats why I think we need to be aggressive with an offer sheet. 

Is Cal Foote that guy? not sure. He's been marinating so long in Tampa's system its hard to say. But thats he type of guy we should be looking at stealing from cap strapped teams. 

Edited by JM_

3 hours ago, Apricot said:

I 100% have the stomach for a rebuild but I do not have the stomach for seeing Petey walk. The man wants to win, he wants to play with a winning team. He is not staying with the Canucks if we go full rebuild mode. So in conclusion, no rebuild mode because I can’t lose Petey. 

Doesn't have to be one or the other, Pettersson, Hughes, and Podz are realistically the three pieces you absolutely hold on to if things trend towards rebuild territory. Assuming they want to stay. 

They're young enough that they could be closer to their peak in 4-6 seasons. 

The roughly 90% (in favor) results, echoes other polls including the one from last week on the Donnie & Dhali show.   Goes to show you how out of touch Aqua-Lini is from the actual - real - paying fans his past G.M. and any sign of common sense (No surprise there!)

Unfortunately, because Aqua-lini doesn't have the wisdom, courage and family jewels to go thru with a proper rebuild and is too cheap to accept a likely resulting decline in revenue during the rebuild - we won't see the rebuild happen until after the new owners arrive on the scene.