The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do You Have the Stomach For a Rebuild?

Rate this topic

Warhippy

Would You Accept A Rebuild?  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think I would actually enjoy a rebuild at this point. Rutherford and Allvin (who was absolutely the wrong choice imo) are not inspiring any confidence they would be the right ones to carry out such a strategy though. 

Hiring Rutherford could have been the right move if he resisted the urge to bring over his Pittsburgh group and focus on gimmicky diversity hiring rather than finding the absolute best people for the jobs. 

Ownership will never authorize a true rebuild so it’s all moot. 

I we gave Benning 7+ years to  shape this team I feel like we can give Allvin a little more than two half seasons, no? You don't put your stamp and build teams all in one off season...it takes years. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I we gave Benning 7+ years to  shape this team I feel like we can give Allvin a little more than two half seasons, no? You don't put your stamp and build teams all in one off season...it takes years. 

I have worries about Allvin after he made the comments about not wanting or being able to wait 5 years for prospects to develop during the Myrenburg trade.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I have worries about Allvin after he made the comments about not wanting or being able to wait 5 years for prospects to develop during the Myrenburg trade.

In contrast JR did state during post game home opener if we’re not able to turn around this run of play we may have to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think I would actually enjoy a rebuild at this point. Rutherford and Allvin (who was absolutely the wrong choice imo) are not inspiring any confidence they would be the right ones to carry out such a strategy though. 

Hiring Rutherford could have been the right move if he resisted the urge to bring over his Pittsburgh group and focus on gimmicky diversity hiring rather than finding the absolute best people for the jobs. 

Ownership will never authorize a true rebuild so it’s all moot. 

Imagine he makes a big splash trade in the coming days that involves 2023 picks. :(

The Canucks are trying to be good this year, and they're failing miserably. If they're going to be this bad, I'd much rather sit through it knowing a full rebuild was underway, so at least there's hope for the future. I don't see any reason to believe that this current group is going to get substantially better over the next few years.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Hughes should have had a one way ticket to Jersey to play with his brothers as a kickstart to a rebuild.

Nemec and a 1st should be a starting point.

That would be Horvat 

I'd be sending Hughes to Arizona for their unprotected 1st and a prospect

Horvat to Jersey for Nemec and a pick

Pettersson to Columbus for Kent Johnson and Jiricek

Demko to Buffalo for Ostlund and a 2023 first round pick.

If you're gonna blow it up, blow it ALL the way up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Warhippy said:

That would be Horvat 

I'd be sending Hughes to Arizona for their unprotected 1st and a prospect

Horvat to Jersey for Nemec and a pick

Pettersson to Columbus for Kent Johnson and Jiricek

Demko to Buffalo for Ostlund and a 2023 first round pick.

If you're gonna blow it up, blow it ALL the way up

Buffalo could also be a fit for Miller.  They can’t get UFAs to sign there (because the city of Buffalo sucks(, so having a guy signed for that long would be a bonus for them.

Jersey would be the team to overpay for Hughes… huge marketing coup and down the road you can see them taking discounts to stay together 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Buffalo could also be a fit for Miller.  They can’t get UFAs to sign there (because the city of Buffalo sucks(, so having a guy signed for that long would be a bonus for them.

Jersey would be the team to overpay for Hughes… huge marketing coup and down the road you can see them taking discounts to stay together 

Let Arizona pick over Jersey with Hughes then.

I want that unprotected 1st this or next year 

I don't believe JR/PA will want to go through a full rebuild, and I'm almost sure the owners don't want a rebuild, so I can't see it happening. They're all too impatient and are trying to find ways to fast-track playoffs and a championship. I'd like to see a major overhaul myself.

1. Explain to the fans (season ticket holders) what their plan is

2. Trade: OEL, Myers, Pearson, Miller and Boeser 

3. Take on a bad contract if needed, and collect as many picks/prospects as they can

4. Re-sign Horvat and Kuzmenko

5. Draft well 

They would still have a decent group to work with / make upgrades to:

Podkolzin - Horvat - Garland

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Mikheyev

Hoglander - Studnicka - X

Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Schenn

Dermott - Bear

Stillman - Burroughs

Rathbone - Juulsen

Brisebois

Wouldn't call this a rebuild, though, they can build from this

14 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

God I miss the summer summit when we had them for STH’s. I don’t believe there has been one since Trevor Linden left as he was the one that was there answering questions from season ticket holder fans.  Would be nice to have something to have the paying customers ask questions as to what the hell are we doing? Other than spinning our wheels to try and gain playoff revenue (we all see it for what it is)

I myself, a STH will be writing a long thought out letter to Francisco/JR/PA and why I am no longer going to be a STH until there is a legitimate plan and direction for this team. I purchased season tickets in Brock’s first season because I thought that for sure the franchise would go through a rebuild with the twins retiring. Nope and in the summer of 2018 when Linden left and we went shopping in FA and used all the cap space to get the Roussel’s,Beagle’s,Gagne’s MDZ’s and others instead of weaponizing our cap, taking bad contracts for picks and prospects to speed up the process. That of course never came to be and I’m just exhausted as a fan to pay these prices for a “get in and anything can happen” false hope that the last two management mandates have been shown. My letter may or may not ever get to the person that it needs to go to. Even then FA might just scoff it off and think it’s just a one off disgruntled fan. 

You are right, the STH’s and fans need to come together and send a message for change to happen, we can’t keep going this way. Apathy has sunken in with the fanbase and regardless of retool on the fly or rebuild, there will be empty seats in this arena either way FA goes with this. But I can stomach a PROPER rebuild with the hope that we are building something to be proud of and to cheer for as a fanbase. What we have now is depressing and hopeless feeling as a fan. 

This would be nice! We go into drafts with nothing more then drafting the "Best Player Available" and then we let go of players at the end of their contracts, for nothing!

Then, we end up with a team with No RHD, No energy guys who can check, PK or take face offs.  

We do not develop our youth properly or compliment our team with character players with good leadership qualities. 

..................and we wonder why we are where we are at today. 

A plan from start to finish would be essential in building a winning team. 

Maybe they have no idea what the Ingredients are needed to build such a team? I don't know.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He knows he won't last 5 years if he doesn't get to playoffs, like all the other GMs on this team. The incentive is short term wins for that 2 game playoff gate revenue.

Sell the team Aqua. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

We are currently 27th in the league.

Two of the teams behind us are the St Louis Blues and Columbus Blue Jackets.

On paper all three are "underachieving" but of the three the Canucks are the only ones that do not seem to have the make up and depth to catch fire and pull themselves out of the mire.  IN a realistic scenario, the Blues and Jackets will surpass the Canucks in the next ten games, having played less than us.  leaving us 29th in the league with san Jose and Anaheim fighting for the last 3 spots.

Of these 3 Pacific division teams.  Anaheim has come out and hinted their roster is up for grabs.  they hold 6 picks in the first three rounds this year alone.  San Jose is rumoured to be considering retention on Karlsson's contract and have said all but one person on their roster is available.  Of the three teams only Vancouver management has suggested they are in the fight and will continue to try to be competitive this season.

Having the stomach for a rebuild is one thing.  Watching this team struggle just to achieve less than mediocrity is another.  but potentially playing in the same division against McDavid and Drasiatl.  Bedard and Fantilli for the next decade would be absolutely heart breaking.

Because Edmonton will throw the bank at their big two.  Anaheim and San Jose currently hold the best spots for two of arguably the best centers in the draft since Mackinnon/McDavid and we have a management team that has outright stated this team will compete 

• Upvote 1

I would enjoy watching us lose more if that was our accepted goal and they started moving older players out and adding in more fresh faces like bear and studnica. 

This admin team is at least able to add some good pieces and can make deals with more then a handful GM's. We haven't traded with Boston or the Canes in a donkeys age.

Edited by Rush17