The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The honey badger doesn't give a

Rate this topic

Coconuts

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Many moons ago I used to think you trolled fans around here for fun. Definitely had a couple spats with you. Now I find myself agreeing with much of what you say. Bedard is the way.

Hope this helps....

Those three words... so innocuous, yet, drives people mad.  For which reasons, I'll never know.

Makes you wonder...:bigblush:

Edited by AV.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Nobody wants our bad contracts.

To do a proper rebuild it's bye bye to Hughes horvat petey demko.

That way we will accrue high end picks without giving away sweeteners.

Hopefully get some serviceable dmen as throw ins to at least remain somewhat nhl competent and draft bedard

Look at how fast Montreal has turned the corner. If you do it properly it's faster than spinning the tires in the mud on the aquibenning mobile 

I'm disappointed in Rutherford i thought he would have better insight 

Lol.   This is not true.   Look, we traded Dickie an "impossible contract" for a serviceable depth D, that should add some sandpaper, for a second.   Not one person made a trade proposal as ridiculous as JB's for OEL and Garland, because the cost was added up to a lot more then a first.  Compared to recent PRE-covid cap dumps.   So.   You can bet the buzzards are circling.    Maybe we won't get the returns we want, of course not, when the teams winning we are a mostly a happy bunch.   4th in our conference last year under Bruce for a full year wasn't real, but 8th seemed reasonable.    Not expecting a St. Louis cup winning turnaround ... but am also pretty sure once we start winning we win more often too.   This teams roster has holes, anyone who says it doesn't is delusional.    But it's also not nearly as terrible as the record board says either.   One goal losses were the Green way too last Fall, then it was somewhat explainable, wasted pre-season which is why i think he deserved the boot, the PK was why we sucked, and that was mostly on JB.    Right now.  Well ... if we don't have a savy GM that wants to fix this - then whatever.   I will cheer for them anyways.   Why would you pick MTL though .... they have been spinning their tires since Roy's cup, and yes it was Roy's cup more then any team ive watched anyways.    He was better then Mario or Gretzky as far as one player ive seen win... i missed Drydens first cup though.   Heard it was just as miraculous. 

Edited by IBatch

if they rebuild, you move your bigger contracts and older players. if you retool, you keep your older core and re-arrange the deck chairs around them.  being capped out makes it tough to do either.

if we could move miller this year, OEL next year and not re-sign guys like pearson when their contracts are up we could get something done. it might take a 1st round pick to do it, but you have to be realistic to where we are and where we can go.

i don't see the value of quoting past mistakes. it is what can we realistically do going forward.?

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

Many moons ago I used to think you trolled fans around here for fun. Definitely had a couple spats with you. Now I find myself agreeing with much of what you say. Bedard is the way.

Hope this helps....

There has never been one superstar player from a draft that has instantly turned a franchise around, not in recent memory anyway. Hockey is a team game.

5 hours ago, smithers joe said:

if they rebuild, you move your bigger contracts and older players. if you retool, you keep your older core and re-arrange the deck chairs around them.  being capped out makes it tough to do either.

if we could move miller this year, OEL next year and not re-sign guys like pearson when their contracts are up we could get something done. it might take a 1st round pick to do it, but you have to be realistic to where we are and where we can go.

i don't see the value of quoting past mistakes. it is what can we realistically do going forward.?

I see it a bit different

If you rebuild you trade lots of you available talent for picks and prospects

If you retool, you make hockey trades

I think Benning mis-used the term or did not understand the concept. 2nds for Baertschi and Vey were neither a rebuild or a retool

A Rebuild you trade Horvat (or insert player here) for 2 firsts and a young player drafted in the first round, and you keep doing it

A retool you trade Bo for a #2 rock solid defenseman, about the same age or slightly older or younger, not 20 and not 30years old 

Edited by lmm
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

There has never been one superstar player from a draft that has instantly turned a franchise around, not in recent memory anyway. Hockey is a team game.

No instantly, but many have made the franchise. Pens don't win without Sid. Oilers don't trend up without McDavid. Bedard is that good. On top of that, the way our cap is currently situated, having a legit superstar on an ECL would help a ton in the big picture.

Let me be hopeful, no matter how unrealistic it is. There isn't much to look forward to right now with this team.

On 10/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, MikeBossy said:

You had me until you said Hughes and Demko - no way you trade either of them. The rest I agree with if you are going rebuild. Hughes is that franchise d man every team needs 

I don't want to trade them.

But what I'm saying is That's the only way u speed up the rebuild with high end picks.

I like the adds of Kuz and Mik

Hate the loss of a 2nd instead of a waive or some other prospect going. 

I hate how they totally revamped a good coaching staff to a LOSING coaching staff. If it ain't broke etc

I think we over micro managed the coaching staff into a hodge podge coaching staff that ain't on the same page.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

6 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

But what I'm saying is That's the only way u speed up the rebuild with high end picks.

Trade Boeser first.  Hughes and Demko are far from untouchable and Hughes will more than likely denand to head to NJ at some point soon anyway.

On 10/26/2022 at 10:13 AM, GB5 said:

Hansen is awesome.

I agree completely with him. When Rutherford mention retooling on the fly I almost fell out of my chair.

Too much of a Groundhog Day scenario except we are all getting older and want to one day see this team win a Stanley Cup.

The question is , why did ownership hire a 72 year old ? Say a rebuild takes 3-5 years , this old duffer would be pushing 80. There is no 5 year plan. There's a 1 year plan.

It's such a strange move. Maybe Aquilni wants one more kick at the can and then he'll put the team up for sale. Who knows was the profit margins are for the business. Maybe he's closer to the red without playoffs that we realize. 

To rebuild or not is basic business acumen. The average CDC forum poster knows what's better for business than this ownership. Everyone in the province wanted to rebuild in 2014/15 except them. Things go in cycles. To fight the cycles is just so stupid. 

• There it is 1

On 10/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, Toyotasfan said:

Fool me once shame on you,

fool me Twice shame on me.

Get it right Jannik.

He did- the person that did the 'tweet' or whatever that picture is called, messed up.

I heard the interview, the audio is likely still available at  sportsnet650 AM

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I wonder how Hansen's face looked when Allvin said he didn't have time to wait for prospects to develop when he traded myrenberg.

Probably did a double take, a shot and said wtf

I imagine his skepticism remains 

This management group doesn't appear to want to take the long road, so long as it appears we might be able to work towards being "competitive" with this group they'll probably follow in Benning's footsteps and look for shortcuts

Continuing to lose could very well be what forces their hand 

• Huggy Bear 1

On 10/27/2022 at 11:12 PM, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

The thing is we could take that to an extreme.  And I'm not saying it wouldn't work.

Trade every player possible in your top tier:  Miller, Bo, Petey, Hughes, Garland, Boeser, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev.   A case could be made to keep Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, being younger. (actually Kuz too, if he'd agree to sign) And Demko is good value. As well you need good goaltending for a rebuilding team to help them learn to win, holding the fort for comebacks etc.  For a couple of those in that tier JR could add OEL, or Myers for a lesser return but freed cap to weaponize. Then what you can get for any remaining overpriced veteran still playing like Pearson...

Whichever veteran in any of the above categories you couldn't manage to move, they will have to suck it up and play mentor with kids for awhile. We'll need a few of those in the mix anyways. For sure keep any value signings you can: Schenn, Burroughs... 

But basically just give up on this core.  Coldly and decisively.  

They'd have to expect not only a large segment of the fans losing their minds,  but the players themselves, and other players around the league, might be non too pleased as well. (That wouldn't matter as you're on to the younger generation, and not looking for veteran FAs anyways)  It would be very nasty in town though until every last one that could be moved finally was.

Then ......... open up your bag of goodies after all that and see what you got.  Multiple first, and second rounders for the next 3 years. More lottery chances for that elusive first overall.  Along with any number of promising young studs who've already played games. And with Demko and Martin behind them, along with a few leftover vets, they'd have a shot at treading water for a few years as our team grew up.

If you're going to do it, throw out the bathwater, the baby, and the whole tub.

Saying all that

I don't want that now. I'm too dam old for all that &%$#. Even though, not guaranteed of course, but its arguably the most likely path to becoming a sustained contender status team.....eventually 

I don't want it because its also been proven that teams CAN rebuild on the fly if they are smart about it.  Boston, LA, Detroit did for a long time.  Benning was just an idiot about it.  Also need some luck. Which hasn't been gifted our franchise much. Some steal trades and signings by JR would be nice. Like if Bear finds his rookie game again and Mikheyev keeps going this way. And Kuz is already a steal.

Edited by kilgore

On 10/25/2022 at 10:42 PM, jyu said:

Love Hansen.

He understands what the fans are feeling.

I was disappointed that JR mentioned this notion of retool on the fly.

We have some good young players that if we do it right, it could be a short 3 year rebuild. 

Who better to emulate than the cup champs?

The Avs had drafted some good young players like Duchene, O'Reilly, Barrie, Landeskog, and finally Mac. Then, they made the playoffs and made it seem like they were close. But it turned out their young players haven't quite hit their strides so they started sucking. Moreover, there was something seriously wrong with in that locker room. Realizing that there was a problem early on, the Avs mgmt promptly sold off assets that they felt were not going to be part of their core for whatever reason, including O'Reilly (I personally was surprised by that). They also stayed patient and worked out a perfect trade partner in Ottawa for Duchene.

We have accumulated some good young players that could form the next core with Petey, Hughes, and Podz. I will include Horvat and Demko as well, they are a bit older but not by much.

We should have stayed patient and looked for a better trade partner that would pay a fair price for Miller up until the TDL.

I think Horvat should have been re-signed in the summer at a fair price, which I think is about 6.5-7 mil. But now it looks like he will be the one to be traded.

Not upgrading the defence would have been fine if the direction was to rebuild the team for the next 3 seasons around Petey and Hughes. 

That after hours interview made me realize that JR and his crew have no idea what they are doing.

I would disagree with you that they don’t know what there doing . 

it’s like any person in management in any business , you are given a bit of freedom to do what you want but really the big decisions lie the laps of the owner ( rebuilding on the fly ) and it’s seem very clear JR is playing with the same sorta business model that Benning was .

Ownership is the problem here 

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1