The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why nutrition is NHL players' new secret weapon

Rate this topic

Just a snippet

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/34874806/why-nutrition-nhl-players-new-secret-weapon

CALE MAKAR DOESN'T leave anything to chance. Not on the ice, not on his plate.

Colorado's top-pairing defenseman found Gyuran when he ran up against some new dietary restrictions. Makar aimed to tackle the challenge head-on, and he relied on Gyuran's adjustments to find a path forward supporting both his body and his play.

Makar was so impressed with the offerings and overall food philosophy that he began shunning some team-provided meals in favor of fueling road trips with Gyuran's cooking too.

So Gyuran would pack Makar coolers to take with him. Then, rather than risk eating unknown fare in an unfamiliar city, Makar finds access to a microwave and heats up those preferred, pre-prepared dishes.

The reigning Norris and Conn Smythe trophy winner has no regrets.

"I take the pregames on the road, and I love it," he said. "It can be a little bit of a hassle sometimes, but at the end of the day, I know exactly what I'm putting in my body, and there's a convenience to it, for sure. It goes to the mental aspect of the game, knowing you don't have any questions in the back of your mind: Did I do something wrong during the day? Did I not have the same pregame meal?

"You try to maintain and control everything that you can, and for me the diet aspect of it is definitely important."

This is nothing new in sports.Food has always been a bid deal in general for any athlete.Being a diabetic I have seen many diets have taken from diets made for diabetics like counting calories instead we count carbs which has been around way longer.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

This is nothing new in sports.Food has always been a bid deal in general for any athlete.Being a diabetic I have seen many diets have taken from diets made for diabetics like counting calories instead we count carbs which has been around way longer.

Counting carbs is the way to go in my experience, our bodies don't need to consume them so the less we eat the better really as they cause a whole host of problems.  It's unfortunate that a lot of peoples diets consist mainly of carbs.

1 minute ago, thrago said:

Counting carbs is the way to go in my experience, our bodies don't need to consume them so the less we eat the better really as they cause a whole host of problems.  It's unfortunate that a lot of peoples diets consist mainly of carbs.

That's it.Some carbs is ok as it is fuel,little fiber and protein you are set.

21 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Yes athletes  with specific health complications have always had to look after their diets and bodies in ways others have not needed to.

I believe this article is more in the context of how hockey players used to be.

4 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Yes athletes  with specific health complications have always had to look after their diets and bodies in ways others have not needed to.

I believe this article is more in the context of how hockey players used to be.

In the 90's is when we heard of players changing diets. Soccer has always been about diets same with Olympic athletes.

21 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Ive just been diagnosed with diabetes in the last two months. I know what you mean about counting carbs. 

Id kill for a pizza right now though. 

• Cheers 1

Are you telling me diets have a significant impact on an athlete's performance and overall health? Shocking.

One of the things that really gets missed in a lot of the food discussion, especially for different people, is that everybody's body is different and there is no one size fits all diet for everyone.

But people love to follow trends. The latest thing getting demonized is carbs. Some people for sure should eliminate as many carbs from their diets as possible, and they're much healthier without them. But that doesn't mean they're the boogeyman. Not every carb source is wonderbread or coca-cola. Personally I've tried low carb diets and feel much, much better with quality carbs in my diet, and refuse to believe that things like oats or multigrain breads are inherently bad for you. Their nutritional profile is actually really impressive when you break it down.

1 hour ago, McBackup said:

Are you telling me diets have a significant impact on an athlete's performance and overall health? Shocking.

One of the things that really gets missed in a lot of the food discussion, especially for different people, is that everybody's body is different and there is no one size fits all diet for everyone.

But people love to follow trends. The latest thing getting demonized is carbs. Some people for sure should eliminate as many carbs from their diets as possible, and they're much healthier without them. But that doesn't mean they're the boogeyman. Not every carb source is wonderbread or coca-cola. Personally I've tried low carb diets and feel much, much better with quality carbs in my diet, and refuse to believe that things like oats or multigrain breads are inherently bad for you. Their nutritional profile is actually really impressive when you break it down.

Ok for being on a diet talk to your doctor as said everyone is different.Experts or so called experts push their beliefs .A doctor should help more knowing you.Look into a diabetics diet as for meals 45 carbs will do for females 35.Eat three meals and small snack in-between.Drink more water.I found which works for me.I once put up my picture on here and can say without working out I was ripped untill I was 40 and now almost 50 can still see an outline of a six pack.

1 minute ago, cripplereh said:

Ok for being on a diet talk to your doctor as said everyone is different.Experts or so called experts push their beliefs .A doctor should help more knowing you.Look into a diabetics diet as for meals 45 carbs will do for females 35.Eat three meals and small snack in-between.Drink more water.I found which works for me.I once put up my picture on here and can say without working out I was ripped untill I was 40 and now almost 50 can still see an outline of a six pack.

Wut