The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Demko to the Devils

BCNate

I am not in favour of trading Demko at all, but saw this and thought it would serve us well.  Would you do it?  I think I would.

To NJ:

Demko 

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2023 1st round pick (Top 2 protected)
2024 2nd round pick
Holtz
Muhkamadullin
Andreas Johnsson 

Why I'd do it: 

Blackwood is a reasonable replacement.  Nowhere near Demko's level, but a serviceable starter on RFA deal.  If he doesn't work out, we move on from him.

2023 1st- Should be in the middle of the 1st round in a deep draft.  

2024 2nd- Gets us back the one we lost

Holtz- Kid has star potential, is cost controlled, allows us to move Garland/Boeser for more assets

Muhkamadullin- Big RD, near NHL ready, excelling in KHL.

Andreas Johnsson- Expiring cap dump

This move triggers many more.  I'm a firm believer that Demko, Hughes, EP are all untouchable aside from a crazy deal.  I think this is one we would do.  I see Holtz as a top end winger in the NHL in his prime.  SM is trending toward top 4 RD potential.  1st could be very valuable.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Think we'd have to add an asset like Hogs perhaps(?), to land this haul. & yeah, would mull this long & hard(over a good bottle of scotch) if I were Nux' king for a day.

edit: Btw, Bo is prob next to go(after a deal like the above)..may's well load up with 2023 1st's - no time for half-way measures.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

13 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I am not in favour of trading Demko at all, but saw this and thought it would serve us well.  Would you do it?  I think I would.

To NJ:

Demko 

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2024 2nd round pick
Holtz
Muhkamadullin
Andreas Johnsson 

Why I'd do it: 

Blackwood is a reasonable replacement.  Nowhere near Demko's level, but a serviceable starter on RFA deal.  If he doesn't work out, we move on from him.

Holtz- Kid has star potential, is cost controlled, allows us to move Garland/Boeser for more assets

This move triggers many more.  I'm a firm believer that Demko, Hughes, EP are all untouchable aside from a crazy deal.  I think this is one we would do.  I see Holtz as a top end winger in the NHL in his prime.  SM is trending toward top 4 RD potential.  1st could be very valuable.

Yeah, that'll work (NOT).

16 minutes ago, BCNate said:

To NJ:

Demko 

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2024 2nd round pick
Holtz
Muhkamadullin
Andreas Johnsson

Umm yeah sure I'd do this. That is a pretty wild package for a Goalie (not saying Demko isn't worth it). 

Unlikely NJ would wanna give up this much youth and picks for him though. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

You could trade virtually any other player on the team and still sell the 'illusion' that we're competing somehow.

But if you trade Demko, management/ownership is essentially saying this season is a complete 'write-off' at the 7 game mark - because while he's not played as well as he has in the past, he's still the reason we're even the slightest bit competitive on a nightly basis. 

Not saying it's right or wrong, but if you trade Demko, you got to know what message that is sending to the media/fan-base/league. 

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, BCNate said:

To NJ:

Demko 

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2024 2nd round pick
Holtz
Muhkamadullin
Andreas Johnsson 

Why I'd do it: 

Holy windfall batman

New Jersey isn't doing this deal, not in a million years

Try

To NJ:

Demko

To Van:

-2023 1st (top 5 protected)

-Blackwood

-Maybe a B prospect

If the idea is to rebuild trading Demko makes sense, although I understand the argument for keeping him as well. Bottom line is Demko is singlehandedly capable of keeping us from drafting top 5, and may not be willing to re-sign with a rebuilding club. We've got three years of him after this season at 5M, which gives us two seasons after this one before we either need to look into extending him or trading him if it doesn't seem both sides can come to an agreement. 

I do view Jersey as a good trade partner for him though, they're a team that wants to take the next step. They've got youth up front and a solid RD. They're committed to centers in both Hughes and Hischier. They're a team that could step up as other teams in their division wind down. Pittsburgh and Washington won't be playoff teams forever, nobody really knows what Philly's capable of. They could feasibly knock one of these teams out of a spot with improved goaltending. 

Edited by Coconuts

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd do Demko for Nemec straight up. Might have to give or take a bit on either side but a #2OA RD prospect holds incredible value. Luke Hughes would also be worth considering. 

NJD prob rather give up Nemec than Hughes, I like name, would maybe want a little sweeter given Nemec is not proven and Demko is vein calibre and really is NJD's missing piece. maybe Nemec and Seamus Casey, there you go R shot D depth fixed.

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

To NJ:

Demko 

Hoglander

Rathbone

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2023 1st round pick (Top 3 protected)
Holtz

Nemec

To NJ:

Demko 

Hoglander

Rathbone

To Vancouver:

Blackwood

2023 1st round pick (Top 3 protected)
Holtz

Nemec

Not to steal your thunder but this is more feasible and also that more moving parts makes it more viable to pass off.

Don't forget NJ is gonna be gun shy over trading a pick for a goalie to vancouver ;) 

Edited by Warhippy

10 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

NJD prob rather give up Nemec than Hughes, I like name, would maybe want a little sweeter given Nemec is not proven and Demko is vein calibre and really is NJD's missing piece. maybe Nemec and Seamus Casey, there you go R shot D depth fixed.

Either or, Nemec or Hughes would give us an extremely young top flight D prospect which is something we have zero of. Both would be young enough to fit with a rebuild, and could develop into a top flight top D. Possibly top pairing caliber. 

They aren't proven, absolutely, but if they were it'd cost even more. Only way to get D prospects of that caliber is to either draft them or give up a very valuable piece/package in exchange. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd do Demko for Nemec straight up. Might have to give or take a bit on either side but a #2OA RD prospect holds incredible value.

Normally I'd agree with you on the value of an elite RD, but Demko has two things that make his value way higher than your average prospect (even if the prospect is pretty highly touted and nearly impossible to find position) - he's a proven elite #1 and doesn't need any development, plus he's on a very, very team friendly deal entering his prime.  If Allvin/JR/ownership commit to doing this 'rebuild/retool' thing the right way - Demko could still be here, and still be a huge piece of the puzzle when we actually have a competitive team.  I'd part with Huggy before Demko - elite goaltenders are that hard to find let alone lock up for a reasonable contract in their prime. 

7 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Normally I'd agree with you on the value of an elite RD, but Demko has two things that make his value way higher than your average prospect (even if the prospect is pretty highly touted and nearly impossible to find position) - he's a proven elite #1 and doesn't need any development, plus he's on a very, very team friendly deal entering his prime.  If Allvin/JR/ownership commit to doing this 'rebuild/retool' thing the right way - Demko could still be here, and still be a huge piece of the puzzle when we actually have a competitive team.  I'd part with Huggy before Demko - elite goaltenders are that hard to find let alone lock up for a reasonable contract in their prime. 

You make fair points, but Demko still being here has a lot to do with what Alvin and JR are capable of doing. We've got three years of Demko after this one, if things don't turn around before his contract up there's no guarantee he'll want to stay. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, could see arguments either way. My faith in this management group is questionable and they've got some tough decisions they might have to make sooner than later if the losing continues. 

If we rebuild there's no guarantee it'll be a short one despite the best efforts of management. If we don't rebuild and continue to flounder and miss the playoffs it's hard to say who'll want to stay as their contracts get closer to expiring. Only surefire way to keep players wanting to stay here is to start making the playoffs, but I question the makeup of this roster and whether it can be consistently competitive. Hasn't looked it. 

An elite #1 could be wasted on a rebuilding club. Or maybe we'd bounce back and he'd be an important puzzle piece going forward. Lot of what ifs. There are legitimate arguments for both keeping Demko and trading him. What happens going forward will influence what happens, and those arguments.