The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistic Moves Rutherford will do (Proposals)

We know that a full rebuild will not happen because Aquilini is at the helm. However, I see these moves as moving out pieces that are not a part of the core but return adequate or similar value.

Trade 1:

VAN:

Lassi Thomson

Ridly Greig

2023 1st Round Pick

2024 3rd Round Pick

OTT:

Bo Horvat

Jack Rathbone

--

Trade 2:

VAN:

Fabian Lysell

2023 2nd Round Pick

BOS:

Brock Boeser

--

Trade 3:

VAN:

2023 4th Round Pick

CHI:

Tyler Myers

Linus Karlsson

I see Horvat being moved because he can bring a lot of value back, plus with the comments all about leadership, I don't think Allvin and Rutherford like how passive Horvat is as a leader. Send him to Ottawa at the TDL to cover for Norris and get this haul back. Thomson is a RHD that may be slipping down Ottawa's propect rankings because of how good Brannstrom and Sanderson are. I like Pinto, but I don't think Ottawa will give him up so we settle for Greig who has steadily improved in the WHL and has that 200 foot game along with some offensive talent. I see Thomson, Greig and the 1st for Horvat and Rathbone worth a future. Don't think we need Rathbone because watching him early this year shows me he takes a lot of risks for a 5-6 defenseman, which we don't need and his offensive potential will never be unlocked here with Hughes being our #1 D. Also, I think Dorion would be stupid enough to push his chips all in with his offseason moves and for Horvat if Ottawa is actually in it by TDL.

Watching this start has also made me realize how slow Boeser is. His lack of footspeed is really really bad and made worse by how slow our team is in general. As a result, I would ship him out. Get him to Boston who has had previous interest and get back Lysell. I think Boston can go far this year, and that is perfect for the Canucks to take advantage of. They are having an amazing start along with the fact that Krejci is back gives them a much more balanced lineup. Get the speedy winger Lysell and a 2023 2nd which Boston might not want to give up (could even settle for a 3rd).

Move Myers, get that cap space. Sacrifice Karlsson as the sweetner (I think Chicago would want Hoglander but management loves this player. Hasn't traded him for Bear from CAR). Start over with a bunch of prospects and draft capital. Start building on top of the core pieces and get rid of those who are on the bubble who are flawed or not worth their money. 

Lysell is Boston's top prospect, I don't think it's likely we get him and a 2nd for Boeser. I question whether you'd even get Lysell 1-1. 

Boeser doesn't really make sense for Boston, they've already got to re-up Pasta as he's a pending UFA and it's more than likely they'll need to find a 1 or 2C to replace Bergeron as this is likely his last season. They've also got Marchand coming back against the Red Wings tonight, a month ahead of schedule. 

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Lysell is Boston's top prospect, I don't think it's likely we get him and a 2nd for Boeser. I question whether you'd even get Lysell 1-1. 

Boeser doesn't really make sense for Boston, they've already got to re-up Pasta as he's a pending UFA and it's more than likely they'll need to find a 1 or 2C to replace Bergeron as this is likely his last season. They've also got Marchand coming back against the Red Wings tonight, a month ahead of schedule. 

Then where would you say Boeser's most likely destination is? Washington? Anaheim? 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Realistic?

1. Fire Boudreau

2. Trade Hoglander to CAR for Bear and a 4th

That is all

I’m not being sarcastic here.  I genuinely would like your opinion.  If they fire Bruce that’ll be 3 different head coaches inside 1 calendar year.  Who would you hire?  At some point you have to look at the players and understand there’s a fundamental problem with how the team is built.  Cycling through coach after coach is just going to reduce the hiring pool of coaches who are willing to come here. 

Just now, qwijibo said:

I’m not being sarcastic here.  I genuinely would like your opinion.  If they fire Bruce that’ll be 3 different head coaches inside 1 calendar year.  Who would you hire?  At some point you have to look at the players and understand there’s a fundamental problem with how the team is built.  Cycling through coach after coach is just going to reduce the hiring pool of coaches who are willing to come here. 

Mike Yeo will fill in as head coach for the remainder of the season

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Mike Yeo will fill in as head coach for the remainder of the season

That doesn’t feel like a change that will effect any positive forward momentum.  Who do you see as the long term solution that will legitimately turn the team around? 

Edited by qwijibo

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

That doesn’t feel like a change that will effect any positive forward momentum 

I agree, but this is just what I feel is going to happen. Allvin has always wanted his own guy behind the bench, and Bruce isn't getting any results.

Losing Dermott, Stillman, Hughes, Poolman - JR/PA might be a bit desperate to get NHL Dmen into the lineup. No offense to Brisebois and Juulsen. They might overpay to get Bear. 

I don't think they're going to rebuild, too many good young pieces right now.

Unable to make any big trades (cap), they're kind of stuck with what they have this year. I think they'll sell at the TDL, enough to create a bit of cap space next year and bring in better suited payers. I think it's going to be a slow process.  If they're building around Pettersson, he's still only 23 (24 next month). Give it until he's 27 and the Canucks should be a contender by then. Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I agree, but this is just what I feel is going to happen. Allvin has always wanted his own guy behind the bench, and Bruce isn't getting any results.

Losing Dermott, Stillman, Hughes, Poolman - JR/PA might be a bit desperate to get NHL Dmen into the lineup. No offense to Brisebois and Juulsen. They might overpay to get Bear. 

I don't think they're going to rebuild, too many good young pieces right now.

Unable to make any big trades (cap), they're kind of stuck with what they have this year. I think they'll sell at the TDL, enough to create a bit of cap space next year and bring in better suited payers. I think it's going to be a slow process.  If they're building around Pettersson, he's still only 23 (24 next month). Give it until he's 27 and the Canucks should be a contender by then. Just my opinion.

I agree.  You absolutely keep Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  Miller is pretty much untraceable now. As is Boeser.  Moving horvat would make a statement but isn’t going to bring in a franchise altering return.

But I’m talking about the coaching.  If you fire Bruce and make Yeo the interim head coach.  Who in their right mind takes the job come next fall.  That’s 4 head coaches in a season and a half.  You’re definitely not getting Trotz.  So do you take a chance on another unknown  guy?  

31 minutes ago, DudePerfect said:

Then where would you say Boeser's most likely destination is? Washington? Anaheim? 

Hard to say tbh because it's more than likely than any Boeser trade probably involves a contract coming back 

6.6M isn't a small number and given how many teams are closer to the cap it's unlikely a team looks to just add his cap without sending something back 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I agree.  You absolutely keep Pettersson, Hughes and Demko.  Miller is pretty much untraceable now. As is Boeser.  Moving horvat would make a statement but isn’t going to bring in a franchise altering return.

But I’m talking about the coaching.  If you fire Bruce and make Yeo the interim head coach.  Who in their right mind takes the job come next fall.  That’s 4 head coaches in a season and a half.  You’re definitely not getting Trotz.  So do you take a chance on another unknown  guy?  

Maybe not Trotz, but who knows who else may be let go by season's end. Tocchet is still out there. They may find someone more to their liking. Hell they could always pick Cull to be the next coach lol

Edited by Fen1010

1 minute ago, Fen1010 said:

Maybe not Trotz, but who knows who else may be let go by season's end. Tocchet is still out there. They may find someone more to their liking. Hell they could always pick Cull to be the next coach lol

Do you think there’s an experienced head coach out there that looks at this roster. Then looks at the fact that 3 head coaches have been canned in under 2 seasons and says “heck yeah. Sign me up” 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Do you think there’s an experienced head coach out there that looks at this roster. Then looks at the fact that 3 head coaches have been canned in under 2 seasons and says “heck yeah. Sign me up” 

Yes, I do. Only 32 head coaching jobs in the NHL.   3 coaches? Green, Bruce and ?

Edited by Fen1010

7 minutes ago, Fen1010 said:

Yes, I do. Only 32 head coaching jobs in the NHL.   3 coaches? Green, Bruce and ?

Well In the scenario I was responding to. Yeo was being promoted to head coach to finish the season then replaced before next season. So that’s 3 

• Thanks 1