The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Studnicka | #23 | C

-AJ-

19 hours ago, AK_19 said:

We were in last place for our PK in the league last year with Lamikko + Highmore. If they were so good they'd still have jobs in the NHL. Nic Dowd was the PKer we also pissed away. Beagle + Motte is the last good PK duo we had. 

Our PK was 74.9%, not last in the league.

The second half after GreenBaum were fired, our PK started to see improve and it actually ranked 11th in the league at 80.5.

Lammikko, Highmore, Motte played roles in PK. That line had limitations but kept it simple and played good physical forechecking game.

Sure they weren't the greatest 4th line players we've ever had but our current 4th line is even worse. It's made up of bunch of guys that aren't good at anything, they don't know how to kill penalties, they can't play hard forechecking game, they don't hit, they are not overly fast. They have some skill but not enough to dominate other 4th lines.

33 minutes ago, jyu said:

It's not that we love our 4th liners...

It's just that our current 4th liners are worse than the guy that is "small and oft injured", "out of the league", "46 games last year (oft injured) 46 games this year in the A.. can't make a mediocre StL team".

Pathetic state we are in considering the 4th liners we had back in the days.

I think they are all pretty bad

but

if you go to last summer, 90% of the line ups posted had Highmore, Lammikko and Motte

even though Motte was already gone and Lammi and High were unsigned

15 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think they are all pretty bad

but

if you go to last summer, 90% of the line ups posted had Highmore, Lammikko and Motte

even though Motte was already gone and Lammi and High were unsigned

Guess people were happy with the performances of Lammi and High so they took it for granted that they would be re-signed?

Motte wasn't coming back but he had trouble finding a suitor until later in the offseason... maybe people thought that we could bring him back?

Whatever Allvin tried to upgrade the 4th line and PK, did not work. It made things worse.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:17 AM, jyu said:

Guess people were happy with the performances of Lammi and High so they took it for granted that they would be re-signed?

Motte wasn't coming back but he had trouble finding a suitor until later in the offseason... maybe people thought that we could bring him back?

Whatever Allvin tried to upgrade the 4th line and PK, did not work. It made things worse.

I don't think we can say that it didn't work. Last year had Demko, this year we've had essentially AHL goaltending. The goalie is probably the biggest factor for a PK.

Good to see Studnicka getting more opportunity to play C. Not ideal that he's having to do it right after recovering from a bad bout with the flu, but hopefully he can make some hay at the position. If Studnicka can be a serviceable bottom 6 C who can also play the wing, then that will help give the Canucks more options next season (especially if Raty needs more development time).

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...

Yet another project we bought low on and to be honest, I'd rather give one of our own guys a shot. Bear, Studnicka, Kravstov. These guys are all contending team's left-overs. They were all fairly highly touted high picks and have just fallen off.

We gave Bear a chance, he was fantastic the first 10-20 games but has really fallen off lately, and he's playing with our best defenceman.

Kravstov is a real project who may never flourish. I can see why he frustrated NYR and Lockwood may be the best player of the trade, but you can't deny he's got some talent there. I am really not getting my hopes up with him.

Then there's Studnicka who deserved a second chance, he's put up some points here and there but again, is no third line center material. Maybe if we're lucky he becomes a 4C at some point but quite frankly he doesn't bring much to the table.

I really hope we give our own guys as much of a chance as we've given these castaways. Guys like Karlsson and Hoglander really deserve a call up or a shot at some point.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Then there's Studnicka who deserved a second chance, he's put up some points here and there but again, is no third line center material. Maybe if we're lucky he becomes a 4C at some point but quite frankly he doesn't bring much to the table.

THIS!!!

Ive been scratching my head over this guy for the last month. Exactly what does he bring and how does he slot-in with this group going forward? 

He can play C and RW, but, he’s really not much of a playmaker nor goal-scorer to warrant a solid third line spot. 

He’s got a bit of size, but he doesn’t play “a heavy game” (SN650-speak) to warrant a spot on the 4th line, either. His main advantage is he’s a RH. That’s it. Honestly, I’ve been thinking about how interesting it might could be if he really COULD play the RHD3 spot alongside a physical LHD. Other than that, what’s his value other than depth? 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

THIS!!!

Ive been scratching my head over this guy for the last month. Exactly what does he bring and how does he slot-in with this group going forward? 

He can play C and RW, but, he’s really not much of a playmaker nor goal-scorer to warrant a solid third line spot. 

He’s got a bit of size, but he doesn’t play “a heavy game” (SN650-speak) to warrant a spot on the 4th line, either. His main advantage is he’s a RH. That’s it. Honestly, I’ve been thinking about how interesting it might could be if he really COULD play the RHD3 spot alongside a physical LHD. Other than that, what’s his value other than depth? 

Let's just say there's a reason Boston, Carolina and NYR traded us Studnicka, Bear and Kravstov for scraps...

We used to be bad enough to need these filler guys, but if we want to be taken seriously in the playoffs, half our team can't be filled by other team's bench warmers. We need more quality. 

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Let's just say there's a reason Boston, Carolina and NYR traded us Studnicka, Bear and Kravstov for scraps...

We used to be bad enough to need these filler guys, but if we want to be taken seriously in the playoffs, half our team can't be filled by other team's bench warmers. We need more quality. 

Agreed. For the first time in years I’m genuinely hyped about the AHL guys earning a spot in the next couple years. I did not generally feel that way under the previous management team and Green. 

I just hope Karlsson doesn’t turn out to be another Gaudette. I actually liked him as a Canuck, but soon realized after he was gone that he really wasn’t anything special beyond 1 decent showing. I really wish CDC’rs would quit moaning about Bedard and realise there’s a RHC already in-house, who, whilst not at THAT level, might be further along in the development process for what this particular group is looking for sooner than later. Hopefully we find out in camp for next season. 

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bruns

Puljujarvi

Kotkaniemi

Chatfield

Teravainen 

Ghostisbear

Raanta

Skjei

Orlov

Ullmark

Hathaway

Bertuzzi 

Zacha

Zibanejad

Trochek

Motte 

Halak

Vesey

Harpur

These teams are literally glued together from the scraps of other teams lol.

4 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Bruns

Puljujarvi

Kotkaniemi

Chatfield

Teravainen 

Ghostisbear

Raanta

Skjei

Orlov

Ullmark

Hathaway

Bertuzzi 

Zacha

Zibanejad

Trochek

Motte 

Halak

Vesey

Harpur

Difference is those aren't scraps, they're regular NHLers. We took on 3 guys who were healthy scratches most nights. 

5 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Bruns

Puljujarvi

Kotkaniemi

Chatfield

Teravainen 

Ghostisbear

Raanta

Skjei

Orlov

Ullmark

Hathaway

Bertuzzi 

Zacha

Zibanejad

Trochek

Motte 

Halak

Vesey

Harpur

A couple of those guys might have been scraps, but in what world were Orlov, Bertuzzi, Skjei, Zibanejad, Teravainen, and Kotkaniemi ever scraps?

Orlov is a top 4 defenseman that cost Boston a 1st+2nd (and 3rd + 5th if you include Hathaway)

Bertuzzi is a recently PPG forward that cost a 1st

Skjei was NYR's #2 defenseman that they traded for a 1st because they were rebuilding 

Zibanejad was acquired as a 23 year old 50 point/2nd line center who was still developing 

Chicago had to trade Teravainen in order to clear cap and because they couldn't afford his upcoming raise. He was used to unload Bickell's 4M cap and they still got a 2nd + 3rd for him

Kotkaniemi was part of Montreal's future plans but Carolina threw an insane offer sheet at him

57 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

A couple of those guys might have been scraps, but in what world were Orlov, Bertuzzi, Skjei, Zibanejad, Teravainen, and Kotkaniemi ever scraps?

Orlov is a top 4 defenseman that cost Boston a 1st+2nd (and 3rd + 5th if you include Hathaway)

Bertuzzi is a recently PPG forward that cost a 1st

Skjei was NYR's #2 defenseman that they traded for a 1st because they were rebuilding 

Zibanejad was acquired as a 23 year old 50 point/2nd line center who was still developing 

Chicago had to trade Teravainen in order to clear cap and because they couldn't afford his upcoming raise. He was used to unload Bickell's 4M cap and they still got a 2nd + 3rd for him

Kotkaniemi was part of Montreal's future plans but Carolina threw an insane offer sheet at him

Zibanejad was a throw in in a trade to acquire Brassard. 

Brassard for zibanejad and a 2nd. 

Brassard had the value of a second on his own.

25 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Zibanejad was a throw in in a trade to acquire Brassard. 

Brassard for zibanejad and a 2nd. 

Brassard had the value of a second on his own.

Brassard was a former 6th overall pick who had just put up back-to-back 60 point seasons, a center who could play all situations, and was in the middle of his prime. He was basically that summer's Bo Horvat. Zibanejad was the main piece in that deal and the 2nd round pick was the sweetener.

• 2 months later...

Thought he finished the season strong, you could see his tenacity and speed on the forecheck. However, needs to add muscle and strength to win more board battles. 

I'd like him to come in and steal that 4RW spot but part of me wonders because the final 10 games he took a lot of faceoffs too, almost average 7 per game. I wonder if they are looking to use him at center, he had a better faceoff winning % than Aman.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Thought he finished the season strong, you could see his tenacity and speed on the forecheck. However, needs to add muscle and strength to win more board battles. 

I'd like him to come in and steal that 4RW spot but part of me wonders because the final 10 games he took a lot of faceoffs too, almost average 7 per game. I wonder if they are looking to use him at center, he had a better faceoff winning % than Aman.

I think they're going to give him every chance to compete for a bottom 6 C position. Acquiring Studnicka as a winger didn't make sense when they made the trip and still is less than ideal. He was developed as a C in the AHL.

Personally, I think Studnicka will be the 13th forward if he cannot outplay Aman for the 4C position. I don't see him playing his way further up the line-up for now, and if PDG plays the way he did to finish out the season, he very much deserves to be on the NHL roster. Studnicka's old enough now that keeping him in the press box may be less of an issue than if he were a younger prospect, and he has the versatility to play C or W as needed.

I agree with you that he needs to add muscle and strength. It seemed like he had the right instincts and has good speed, but just lacked the "heaviness" to fight through traffic and contact. I know he got sick partway through the season but this was noticeable even before that. It's a tough situation though - packing on muscle may not be the best course of action if it ends up slowing him down significantly. Hopefully he'll find a good balance this offseason.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1