The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

On 10/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Similar to us dumping Poolman, I wouldn't get too excited with Bear just yet.

Sure, he has potential and boy it'd be nice if he breaks into a 20 minute guy but I don't think he's any better than Burroughs.

Nuts to think we gave up Chatfield and Forsling and they're flourishing now...

There is zero guarantee Forsling would have turned into the player he is now if he had stayed with the Canucks. He spent a good part of 5-6 years floundering in the minors.

Chatfield was awful here, good on him for getting a 3rd pairing spot on the Canes.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, AngryElf said:

Oilers' Bear wears name spelled out in Cree syllabics for ... 

Opens things up for some new marketing schemes at the very least. He's an interesting get. Canes fans say he's very high event but he seems to be good on the defensive transition and along the boards, but isn't great in front of the net. Logged really big minutes with the Oilers and still has potential, but has struggled to find a spot in Carolina since he got COVID. This feels a lot like the Dermott trade.

I love this picture.

2 hours ago, Petey Castiglione said:

He was trending good while with the Oilers and fell out of grace with Rod.  I'm hoping he gets back on track and solidifies himself as a #4 guy but with all our moves recently, I'm preparing myself for him actually being a #6.  

That is what constantly improving does; if Bear is our #6, we are doing A-Okay!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

Do you really think Bear has that potential? 

Its hard to tell from the raw stats. One improvement I see is he really cleaned up his giveaways when he moved to Carolina.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerreport.php?fromseason=20212022&thruseason=20212022&playerid=8478451&sit=5v5&stype=2&stdoi=oi&rate=n&v=p

Oy, James, I tried, I really did, but those plates fulla numbas.. the rum.. 

I doan no

Kin ye summarize for th' old fart?

On 10/29/2022 at 12:37 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Similar to us dumping Poolman, I wouldn't get too excited with Bear just yet.

Sure, he has potential and boy it'd be nice if he breaks into a 20 minute guy but I don't think he's any better than Burroughs.

Nuts to think we gave up Chatfield and Forsling and they're flourishing now...

Burroughs is ok, but Bear is and will always be the better player. Bear was doing very good in Edmonton until,racism showed it's ugly face. Chatfield is not flourishing he has played solid in 8 games. Forsling and Bear could be compared, both are good. Bear started off good and drop off for good reasons and Forsling slowly improved into a solid player. 

Edited by vancan2233
  • Thanks 1

Bear had a great last year in the WHL for the Thunderbirds.  Third on team scoring just behind Barzal.  I expect a lot of this was being on the #1 PP unit but I haven't followed the team enough to know what transpired.  He broke in to the NHL at 20, played a whole season at 22 after spending his 21 year old season in the AHL.  That's a pretty fast start for a 5th round defence.  When is the last 5th round d-man we've had break in to the league.... at all?  Oh yeah, Forsling.

Edited by RogersTowell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, -DLC- said:

My favourite author, Richard Wagamese, has a story called Indian Horse. I suggest everyone read it (or watch it, as it is also a film).

Racism is so ugly and it needs to stop.  "Love one another, be kind"

Feeling pretty partial to this guy and hoping everything works out for him with us. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Oy, James, I tried, I really did, but those plates fulla numbas.. the rum.. 

I doan no

Kin ye summarize for th' old fart?

well, the big takeaway was he's getting better at giveaways 

Edited by JM_

Just now, JM_ said:

well, the big takeaway was he's getting better at giveaways 

Ow

You hurted me.

Marchand!

Bear'll be better in the future.

Bore bear-able if you will.

I see what you mean JM tho.

There's a possibility of a regression, but we just might have the right situation for him.

(Another thought: Can Woo feed off this? Bruise Brothers type of thing?)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

User name checks out.  I hope so as well, it's been a while since Gino played here.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Totally.  Not a Gino knock-off in how he plays but if him and Kuzmenko become buds like Gino and Pavel, that's gonna be a good thing.  There can never be another Gino and I don't expect that of Ethan, but it would be great if he fits in here and gets some of the love that Gino will always have. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

I think peolpe are not getting the full understanding of the reasons why Bear was pushed down the Canes depth chart. With the signing of Burns and having Slavin,Skjei and Pesce they have the offence they need form the back end.  Chatfield adds more defense and is also right handed , which gives them all left/right pairings. Bear was never going to be ahead of Burns or Pesce. Add in his salary and Chatfield is a more capfriendly third pairing. As for him being a scratch for the playoffs, I believe he never got going after he got Covid. 

The Canes have $8mill plus Cap space

On 10/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, -DLC- said:

My favourite author, Richard Wagamese, has a story called Indian Horse. I suggest everyone read it (or watch it, as it is also a film).

Racism is so ugly and it needs to stop.  "Love one another, be kind"

This was really inspiring Deb.
Thanks so much for sharing. For me personally this one’s a bit of a wake up call and a reality that British Colombians should be much more sensitive towards. Seeing this young man interviewed with his parents and what they’ve  been through has made me an instant fan and supporter.

Really hoping it works out for him and the team. 

“Indian Horse” is now on my list. 
Positive  vibes. 

8 hours ago, Fred65 said:

The Canes have $8mill plus Cap space

If Rod Brin had reservations then I will as well until proven otherwise. Hurricanes are serious CUP contenders and Van is not. Bear might be part of the group that builds towards contention. Bottom line is he is not costing much so lets watch. 

• Vintage 1