Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D


-AJ-

Recommended Posts

On 12/25/2022 at 5:37 PM, wildcam said:

Bear 25, RD played 21:30 mins looked like a # 3 D man all good-- Sign him this summer..

3 yrs X 3.5 million -- Show me more.. bear is making 1.8 million this season..

Bear has been great, absolutely, but I'd hate to think he's the answer to our top 4 long term. It'd just be a lucky and lazy win by management. They have to get real quality for us, not just rely and force other team's scraps in there, and if they do well enough, that'll do.

 

Schenn was Tampa's 7th, becomes our top 4 RD for 2 years. Bear was Carolina's 7th, is now our best RD. Stillman was Chicago's 7th, was our 6-7th guy.

 

Relying on cheap trades to bolster your defence is just management trying to get away with a freebie, but they have to invest in the defence. Great, Bear is playing well, but it doesn't mean we should just sit back and not get any solid defenders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Bear has been great, absolutely, but I'd hate to think he's the answer to our top 4 long term. It'd just be a lucky and lazy win by management. They have to get real quality for us, not just rely and force other team's scraps in there, and if they do well enough, that'll do.

 

Schenn was Tampa's 7th, becomes our top 4 RD for 2 years. Bear was Carolina's 7th, is now our best RD. Stillman was Chicago's 7th, was our 6-7th guy.

 

Relying on cheap trades to bolster your defence is just management trying to get away with a freebie, but they have to invest in the defence. Great, Bear is playing well, but it doesn't mean we should just sit back and not get any solid defenders. 

I'd agree. Bear is solid, but I really struggle to see him being worth the numbers people are throwing around. In the long term, unless he improves, I see him as a solid #5 option, much like Stecher was.

  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'd agree. Bear is solid, but I really struggle to see him being worth the numbers people are throwing around. In the long term, unless he improves, I see him as a solid #5 option, much like Stecher was.

Considering how much we are spending on OEL maybe all we can afford is a guy like Bear to be Quinn’s partner?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Andrew Walker's such a goof. He blocked me long ago for telling him so. He should probably get himself a gig in a boy band or promoting hair styling products rather than commenting on our team. Good on Cody Severtson for setting him straight:

 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/the-stanchies-vancouver-canucks-ashamed-themselves?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

 

326935768_2342171842617801_7800358666926

 

 

Probably Andrew's never had a pet, spouse, child (or friend?) before. Dude, you're not as cool as you think you are. And take off the NASA Twitter space commander headset, you look ridiculous.

  • There it is 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, FinchBird said:

I like what I’ve seen from his game so far but what is it going to cost to get him to reup for 3 years, should he not sign before trade deadline 50% retained gets him down to 900 K, who would you rather have for next 3 years, Bear or Schenn?

If it is a choice then I take Bear. Younger and faster. Schenn will be gone by the TDL. Bear is not in a particularly strong position for a contract. He is a #5 - 6 with the ability to spell in on the top 4. Based on trade returns I see him resigned. Coaches evaluation means a lot on that decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, FinchBird said:

I like what I’ve seen from his game so far but what is it going to cost to get him to reup for 3 years, should he not sign before trade deadline 50% retained gets him down to 900 K, who would you rather have for next 3 years, Bear or Schenn?

That's a tough one,

The way Schenn plays and the hard miles he puts on makes me wonder how he will age in a couple years. Can't discount his leadership to this team though.

 

Bear is a good puck mover and overall smart steady defender as long as he isn't asked to do too much. 

 

My heart says Schenn but my head leans to Bear. Be nice to keep them both, even if Schenn starts to slow down he can be rotated in and out if he isn't costing the team too much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 2/14/2023 at 8:48 AM, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bear's been struggling ever since Bruce left. I guess it makes him cheaper to sign as an RFA

Bears a strange assortment of skills. He isn't big but doesn't have th skatig skills of Hughes, not a good look. Shorter D need great manouverability, Hughes has that, Bear doesn't. To me he's a third pairing D'man.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Bears a strange assortment of skills. He isn't big but doesn't have th skatig skills of Hughes, not a good look. Shorter D need great manouverability, Hughes has that, Bear doesn't. To me he's a third pairing D'man.

I like Bear at times, he's smart and fakes out chasing forwards and his shot is often on net. Like you said though he is more of a bottom pair so i don't think he's in for a big increase, if he does then canucks can let him walk.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...