The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) for Mitchell Marner

19 hours ago, -DLC- said:

Again...when you have the #1 draft pick overall it matters. You're ahead of the game at that point.

Getting knocked out in the first round with that pick means you're still not there yet (either).

Thing is, some here excuse his lack of size but that isn't something at this point we should be compromising. We need more grit, not less. Miller gives us that, Marner doesn't.

Depends what your definition of grit.

Marner is a tenacious forechecker, who applies pressure to the opposing player, forcing them into a bad situation/quick decision, causing a turnover. Since entering the league, he’s 2nd in takeaways/60 (min. 400 games played) amongst forwards, only behind his linemate Matthews. 44th in blocked shots (219), only 10 behind Miller, while playing 14 less games. He also has had more hits than “grittier” players like Ryan O’Reilly, Connor Brown, Nick Bonino, Derek Ryan, Josh Bailey, Max Domi and Chris Tierney. 

19 hours ago, JM_ said:

for sure he'd be an awesome regular season addition. But is the cost worth it? 10.9 mil is a lot of cap space right now. I do think thats a legit debate to have.

All I'm pointing out is he hasn't been close to dominant in the playoffs, and has been handled quite effectively in two appearances. There's no spin or angle to that comment, it's just a plain fact if people can get their backs down and just look at the results.  

If we're going to allocate 11 mil to a guy he needs to be 'that guy' in the playoffs as well. 

And we should do this again when it comes time to re-sign Petey because he'll be looking for something around 10 for sure. Its one of the reasons I want to see him in the playoffs again before we can extend him. 

Marner is only signed for 2 more years after this season, whereas Miller is signed for another 8, while being 5 years olderand probably has hit his peak.

Marner’s age also aligns with our core players, while Miller doesn’t.

Edited by shiznak
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Depends what your definition of grit.

Marner is a tenacious forechecker, who applies pressure to the opposing player, forcing them into a bad situation/quick decision, causing a turnover. Since entering the league, he’s 2nd in takeaways/60 (min. 400 games played) amongst forwards, only behind his linemate Matthews. 44th in blocked shots (219), only 10 behind Miller, while playing 14 less games. He also has had more hits than “grittier” players like Ryan O’Reilly, Connor Brown, Nick Bonino, Derek Ryan, Josh Bailey, Max Domi and Chris Tierney. 

Marner is only signed for 2 more years after this season, whereas Miller is signed for another 8, while being 5 years olderand probably has hit his peak.

Marner’s age also aligns with our core players, while Miller doesn’t.

this ^ is a good point. 

On 11/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, JM_ said:

for sure he'd be an awesome regular season addition. But is the cost worth it? 10.9 mil is a lot of cap space right now. I do think thats a legit debate to have.

All I'm pointing out is he hasn't been close to dominant in the playoffs, and has been handled quite effectively in two appearances. There's no spin or angle to that comment, it's just a plain fact if people can get their backs down and just look at the results.  

If we're going to allocate 11 mil to a guy he needs to be 'that guy' in the playoffs as well. 

And we should do this again when it comes time to re-sign Petey because he'll be looking for something around 10 for sure. Its one of the reasons I want to see him in the playoffs again before we can extend him. 

Exactly.  At least Petey tries in the playoffs.  Marner, in numerous first round exits, has outright refused to put in anything close to an acceptable effort on any occasion.  Even worse, he sees no issue with the fact  that he doesn't care about winning.  We can't be spending that kind of money on a lazy floater; you simply don't win when the way Marner plays is tolerated by the coaching staff.

• Vintage 2

• 1 month later...

JT Miller has 2 more even strength points than Luke Schenn, and the same amount as a disgruntled player who's flirting with being scratched. He can literally only show value to the Canucks when the other team is missing a player, yet I'm supposed to believe they say no to a Marner swap?

image.thumb.png.62a96a5802b4b002547578ecf7abedd1.png