The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] November 1, 2022 New Jersey Devils(6-3-0) @ Vancouver Canucks(2-5-2) 7:00pm PT Rogers Arena SN360 SNP SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

Well, they'll really need to step-it up, more than a couple of notches because this will be a huge test for them - to say the least, let alone they MUST WIN at least 7 out of their next 11 games by American Thanksgiving (usually the bell-weather time for playoff eligibility) just to maybe/possibly, be in a situation to sliver into the last couple of bottom wild-card spots.   

They've dug themselves an immense hole!  Interesting to see how they cope now!

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

Exactly. We need him to play good reliable third line mins, keep it simple don't make mistakes. This will give QH and OEL more ideal ice times to do their thing. 

To me it looks like a player whose game needs some sort of rehabilitation effort. Now, if we can do that, while not having this process cost us games, then it might indeed be worth the shot that this management is taking here.

But I’ll tell you this now….I’m keeping my expectations well in check. Lots of chatter around this player that he’s not exactly the most dedicated professional in terms of fitness. That sort of stuff rings alarm bells with me every time. But hey, my low expectations can be easily surpassed by competent play!

8 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They are #4 in nhl now, right up there with Canes. 

Fast team, will be a challenge to shut them down. 

Demko needs to be stellar. They have outshot their opponents by huge margins. 

If Demko needs to find his old form from last season. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Rather and Bur2 because Quinn + Bear; they've been adequate at least.

(Is Bur2 = Bert -u-   zzi?)

Old dude imagines bringing back Bert and Kevin in their prime to add to this team;

has to clean drool up from desk.

Imagine Bertuzzi, Pettersson, and Podkolzin come'n atcha with Bieksa and Q behind them.

Oh well, back to work.

Wait, I'm retired!

So, Boeser is probably not quite ready.

If it is his hand/wrist again, I hope he's been skating his Beauty League Ass off!

I like Boeser but if he can't get up to speed, he becomes very limited.

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like the Orca over the downhill skate. Too much 1980's PTSD for me. I'll take stick in rink or Johnny Canuck over the skate.

Black without the skate is fine for me.

Ok, black without the skate but keeping the aggressive orange and yellow too.

I always liked the blue and green, but I believe the sports psychologist/designer of the black, orange, yellow (was it?) was onto something.

We have to (imo) keep adding to the speed and talent, but also to the sandpaper, the willingness to drop 'em, and team attacking like bees or wasps.

Bring on the nasty and hit everybody, make 'em take retaliatory penalties, etc.

Aside:

My favorite trout lure is a Black Beauty with the Canuck colours (black, orange, yellow, tiny brass flasher by Mepp's, I think).

I didn't use it all the time, but if nothing else was working, I'd pull it out and usually got a trout right away.

The theory behind that lure was that it did not attempt to look like food; it was built to annoy fish and they strike it in anger.

Trout in the pan!  Guinness in the can.  What's not to like?

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ok, black without the skate but keeping the aggressive orange and yellow too.

I always liked the blue and green, but I believe the sports psychologist/designer of the black, orange, yellow (was it?) was onto something.

We have to (imo) keep adding to the speed and talent, but also to the sandpaper, the willingness to drop 'em, and team attacking like bees or wasps.

Bring on the nasty and hit everybody, make 'em take retaliatory penalties, etc.

Aside:

My favorite trout lure is a Black Beauty with the Canuck colours (black, orange, yellow, tiny brass flasher by Mepp's, I think).

I didn't use it all the time, but if nothing else was working, I'd pull it out and usually got a trout right away.

The theory behind that lure was that it did not attempt to look like food; it was built to annoy fish and they strike it in anger.

Trout in the pan!  Guinness in the can.  What's not to like?

Guinness is always the answer.

Now what was the question?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

New Jersey's speed and skill always seems to be an issue for the Canucks. Lots of high scoring games, Canucks have to ensure they don't get into a track meet with NJ as they have a lot of good skaters up front and on the blueline. Need to play sound defensively and be patient to develop offense. Need to use our strength of grit and size to out muscle this team to be successful because skill alone NJ has it in plenty that can come in waves.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, I'd avoid that and go with:

Hughes-Schenn - proven to work

OEL-Bear - more offensive pairing but won't hurt us defensively

Stillman-Myers - lots of size and gives Myers a steady partner to cover for the occasional brain fart.

My only issue is that you are asking a guy that hasnt really played in 6+months to jump on a pairing where they will eat the most minutes tonight. If Hughes plays...he will be working his way back too. I say play OEL with Myers tonight. Give Bear a try in a few games against an easier foe 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

My only issue is that you are asking a guy that hasnt really played in 6+months to jump on a pairing where they will eat the most minutes tonight. If Hughes plays...he will be working his way back too. I say play OEL with Myers tonight. Give Bear a try in a few games against an easier foe 

That logic also worries be about Bear and Stillman being new to the system.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

D depth will be nice.

(if and when healthy)

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Myers

Dermott - Bear

Stillman - Burroughs

Rathbone - Juulsen

Brisebois - Poolman  (not sure he plays again though)

Is it possible that OEL gets a game off now and then to rest? He seems to get tired and banged up fairly easily.  Any idea when Dermott could be back? 

If by fairly easily you mean carrying the team and logging ridiculous minutes the first 9 nine games?? Guy has been asked to play Nurse minutes! 

OEL will be fine; we just had 4 days off essentially. Him and Myers will be leaned on again tonight with Hughes just coming back.

And yes... D depth is nice, but still maddening considering we are missing a Top4 guy. PA killing the cap by a million cuts, while the Top4 wound is gushing blood

19 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I really like this combo

1324186.jpg

aside from that being obviously terrible, I find it personally offensive that whoever took the time to do this didn't bother to center the word "vancouver" vertically within its white space. 

46 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

They are #4 in nhl now, right up there with Canes. 

Fast team, will be a challenge to shut them down. 

Demko needs to be stellar. They have outshot their opponents by huge margins. 

You hit the nail on the head; fast team, up there with the Canes. . The last couple of years speed has been this team (mostly d cores) Achilles heel. NJ will bring speed at the defense...truly test PA's bandaids! Hopefully Bear ate his Wheaties!